SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 5-6, 2013 Winter Storm

mimillman

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z runs don't look too promising for LAF.  The changes are magnified anytime you're dealing with sharp gradients. 

Very tough forecast for you guys.  Was looking at the 4km NAM a bit earlier, and it showed a tremendous gradient from north to south over the county LAF is in.  Even the slightest bump north tomorrow could give you guys several inches quite easily.  Definitely not out of the game to be sure.

I haven't posted in a long while but I have been following this system. Temperature is 34 near downtown but still no precip here in Louisville. However, I expect things to go downhill here in the next few hours.

Keep us updated on your temps and precip type. Looks like some serious banding is setting up just to your north and working it's way up into my neck of the woods.

Very tough forecast for you guys.  Was looking at the 4km NAM a bit earlier, and it showed a tremendous gradient from north to south over the county LAF is in.  Even the slightest bump north tomorrow could give you guys several inches quite easily.  Definitely not out of the game to be sure.

I've been on the 1-2" train for some time...started to doubt it last night when things went drier and haven't really been able to buy in to heavier amounts given lack of run to run consistency and the tight gradients.  I think 1-2" is the best call at this point and will consider anything extra to be a bonus.

CLE recorded a high of 63 yesterday and was grazed with a half inch of snow from the first round of this storm. I'll have to pull out some weather data, but I can't envision there are too many days which featured highs in the 60s and a half inch of snow in the same day.

This looks like the high mark in the IND cwa

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  1218 PM EST FRI DEC 06 2013     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    1218 PM     SNOW             WASHINGTON              38.66N  87.17W  12/06/2013  M9.0 INCH        DAVIESS            IN   LAW ENFORCEMENT   

No flakes a my house or work however a few on the very far south edge if Kokomo saw a few flakes last evening.

Pretty dreadful model performance for us.  The NAM probably flip flopped the most...the runs where it had nothing proved to be correct but hard to give it much credit with all the flip flops.  Euro was consistently on the lower end but not sure if any of its runs had a shutout. 

Sorry Hoosier ,  Sometimes you get the Bear, and sometimes the Bear gets you...Lets hope before the pattern turns,  its your turn....Doing pretty well down here

Here in Kettering, Oh (south of Dayton) we've been in the groove since 2pm and have 5 " on the deck. Probably have another hour or two to go before this clears out.

Some of the higher snowfall totals...

0448 PM HEAVY SNOW CHESTER 37.92N 89.83W
12/06/2013 M14.0 INCH RANDOLPH IL PUBLIC

STORM TOTAL.

0345 PM HEAVY SNOW 2 SSE CHESTER 37.89N 89.81W
12/06/2013 M13.1 INCH RANDOLPH IL COCORAHS

STORM TOTAL.  

0417 PM SNOW MOUNT VERNON 38.32N 88.91W
12/06/2013 M13.0 INCH JEFFERSON IL TRAINED SPOTTER

It's probably going to end up being 2.3" here in Athens, OH...really not bad for a system where we had to hope the cold air caught the precip before it pulled out. Saw inch per hour rates for about an hour after the changeover to snow, and 0.2" of that total was sleet that fell over the course of about an hour before we changed to snow. It's still snowing lightly but I suspect it won't add up to anything measurable...just in case cleared a few select spots near my dorm here and will check later. Really not easy making do without a snowboard on a college campus when measuring snow :lol:

Archived