• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Lower hudson valley winter 13' discussion

I think this new measurement is stupid. So when we have a gloppy 2 feet of snow that is compressing on itself so it never winds up over 18 inches on an untouched area, we disregard the other 6 inches that fell using the conventional way ???

Based on what I read, no. The total would be reported as whatever was measured as soon as the snow stopped. If that is 18' than that’s what is reported. It doesn’t seem right to me either, I always cleared the board after taking a measurement in past and I hold that method is actuate. If the NWS wishes to avoid  snowfall inflation" perhaps they shouldn’t use totals from the general public via their website and from Facebook and publish them in the storm total reports

Why limit the thread to the "lower" valley? We do get a few people from the Capital district, Ulster, Green and Sullivan counties here too.

Agree 100%. There's so few of us here to start, limiting us to the lower Hudson doesn't make sense to me and never mind that most consider Orange County to be the start of the Mid-Hudson region. Perhaps the author could edit the thread title. Welcome to the board BTW.

As for the measuring I find it confusing because the airports I believe still clear their board every 6 hours. I honestly never liked the clearing of the board because I feel like it inflated totals. I believe what matters most is how much snow needs to be plowed and shovled at the end if the storm. That said I realize it's not that simple as snow removing goes on throughout the storm.

Whats up guys...first time posting here in a couple months but the rain just turned to snow here. Hopefully not too much was wasted...got a few hours of snow left it looks like. 34/34 right now.

I don't know. The radar is falling apart over PA and the heaviest precip looks like it is going towards extreme SE NY and CT. We need to rock and roll by midnight as the clock will be running out on us by 3 or 4am

I don't know. The radar is falling apart over PA and the heaviest precip looks like it is going towards extreme SE NY and CT. We need to rock and roll by midnight as the clock will be running out on us by 3 or 4am

Yeah it just looks like the whole thing is moving SE kind of...not good if youre hoping for the NAMS half foot but Ill take whatever I can get

Archived