Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Severe Weather Outbreak November 17

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we don't know the final numbers yet I think it's pretty obvious that this was a historic outbreak especially given the time of year/location.

Illinois had not had an F4/EF4 tornado in November in the modern era of 1950-present until yesterday.  It's also the first day with 2 or more F4/EF4 or stronger tornadoes in the state since 6/2/1990. 

Apparently the debris I had falling at my home in Bolingbrook yesterday around 12:30 was indeed from the Washington tornado...there have been quite a few reports of debris (bank statements, photos, tar paper, etc.) found in Plainfield/Joliet area....Some of the debris found had Washington address' on them...

The debris at my home was more in the realm of small pieces of tar paper and shredded corn husks...

I will add that I saw even more (most likely lighter) debris still flying way up in the sky headed in a general N/NNE direction at the same time 12:25 - 12:30

Apparently the debris I had falling at my home in Bolingbrook yesterday around 12:30 was indeed from the Washington tornado...there have been quite a few reports of debris (bank statements, photos, tar paper, etc.) found in Plainfield/Joliet area....Some of the debris found had Washington address' on them...

The debris at my home was more in the realm of small pieces of tar paper and shredded corn husks...

I will add that I saw even more (most likely lighter) debris still flying way up in the sky headed in a general N/NNE direction at the same time 12:25 - 12:30

Yeah my gopro captured some of that as well north of Ransom IL.

For archive purposes...

Instagram image of tornado near Lafayette, Indiana --> http://instagram.com/p/g3R1imBj4m/

Short video of tornado in Jasper County, Indiana --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8M68Hb84ek&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9kBmD7Ifnyu6YloA4tVGTg

Jasper County tornado was about 6 or so miles away from my house. Here, we got some penny sized hail along with a 5 second gust to 70 mph. 

For archive purposes...

Instagram image of tornado near Lafayette, Indiana --> http://instagram.com/p/g3R1imBj4m/

Short video of tornado in Jasper County, Indiana --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8M68Hb84ek&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9kBmD7Ifnyu6YloA4tVGTg

Jasper County tornado was about 6 or so miles away from my house. Here, we got some penny sized hail along with a 5 second gust to 70 mph. 

Whoa, thanks man.  I had been looking all over trying to find out if anyone caught something on camera.

Edit:  interestingly that pic is from the downtown area and facing north so it's not associated with all the damage on the south/east side of town. 

The wind rowing from the Washington tornado was just extreme.  This aerial view is from WGN's Skycam 9.

https://twitter.com/LarryPotash/status/402427501114191872

No kidding, those debris fields are absolutely enormous. It makes me wonder if one of these tornadoes might rate as an EF5. Hard to really tell but that is some insane damage.

So far, IWX has confirmed 2 tornadoes, one being an EF2 and LOT has confirmed 3 EF1s in northwest IN.  

I could see the final tornado tally going down for multiple reports on the same tornado....and it could also go up as some events are furthered investigated that may have been originally "dismissed" as a multi-report and are now found to be "new" tornados...or specific events that may not have even been reported in the first place...

the event was very well handled by the offices....but i'm sure it was also somewhat chaotic with multiple areas of rotations being monitored at any given moment within' many WFO's...not to mention fielding/filtering the numerous reports that I'm sure were flooding in...plus office coordination as storm motions had these going from one WFO to the next fairly rapidly was also very well handled i feel

if that makes sense

For archive purposes...

Keener, the Lafayette pic is a hoax.  The view is from 6th and Ferry Street in Lafayette as this Google street view shows.  There are a couple features in there that shouldn't be...one, a flying saucer type object hovering over the roof on the right side of the church.  Two, a mysterious creature getting ready to emerge onto the sidewalk on 6th street.

post-14-0-58226300-1384814791_thumb.png

Whoever faked it did a pretty good job.  The features don't really stand out and you're so focused on the funnel cloud that it's easy to miss at first look.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

509 PM CST MON NOV 18 2013  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

1242 PM TORNADO 3 ESE MANHATTAN 41.41N 87.93W  

11/17/2013 WILL IL NWS STORM SURVEY  

A CONFIRMED EF-2 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN 3 MILES SE OF  

MANHATTAN IL YESTERDAY...SUNDAY NOVEMBER 17TH. THE  

TORNADO WAS ON THE GROUND FOR 6 MINUTES...HAD A PATH  

LENGTH OF 5.5 MILES...AND WAS 200 YARDS WIDE. WHILE 9  

RESIDENCES WERE DAMAGED...NO INJURIES OR DEATHS OCCURRED.  

HIGH TENSION POWER LINES AND METAL OUT BUILDINGS WERE  

ALSO DAMAGED. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AS AN EF-2 WITH  

MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 125 MPH.  

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  509 PM CST MON NOV 18 2013     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    1242 PM     TORNADO          3 ESE MANHATTAN         41.41N 87.93W   11/17/2013                   WILL               IL   NWS STORM SURVEY                A CONFIRMED EF-2 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN 3 MILES SE OF               MANHATTAN IL YESTERDAY...SUNDAY NOVEMBER 17TH. THE               TORNADO WAS ON THE GROUND FOR 6 MINUTES...HAD A PATH               LENGTH OF 5.5 MILES...AND WAS 200 YARDS WIDE. WHILE 9               RESIDENCES WERE DAMAGED...NO INJURIES OR DEATHS OCCURRED.              HIGH TENSION POWER LINES AND METAL OUT BUILDINGS WERE               ALSO DAMAGED. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AS AN EF-2 WITH               MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 125 MPH.  

NOUS43 KLOT 182305

PNSLOT

ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-

191115-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

505 PM CST MON NOV 18 2013 /605 PM EST MON NOV 18 2013/

...EF-2 TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR MANHATTAN AND FRANKFORT IL...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS CONDUCTED A STORM SURVEY ON

NOVEMBER 18TH NEAR MANHATTAN AND FRANKFORT ILLINOIS TO ASSESS DAMAGE

SUSTAINED FROM THE SUNDAY AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS.

* EVENT TYPE: EF-2 TORNADO.

* INJURIES: NONE.

* ESTIMATED BEGIN TIME/LOCATION: 11/17/2013...1242 PM CST

3 MILES SE OF MANHATTAN IL

LAT 41.41 LON -87.93

* ESTIMATED END TIME/LOCATION: 11/17/2013...1248 PM CST

2 MILES SSW OF FRANKFORT IL

LAT 41.47 LON -87.87

* PATH LENGTH: 5.5 MILES

* MAXIMUM ESTIMATED WIND SPEED: 125 MPH

* MAXIMUM ESTIMATED PATH WIDTH: 200 YARDS.

* DISCUSSION: A SEPARATE TORNADO FORMED FROM THE SAME THUNDERSTORM

WHICH PRODUCED THE COAL CITY TORNADO...TOUCHING DOWN SOUTH OF W

BRUNS RD AND EAST OF S KANKAKEE ST SOUTHEAST OF MANHATTAN ILLINOIS.

THIS SEPARATE TORNADO RAPIDLY INTENSIFIED CAUSING EXTENSIVE DAMAGE

TO 5 HOUSES ALONG W BRUNS RD...WITH THIS DAMAGE CAUSING THEM TO BE

UNINHABITABLE. NORTH OF THIS HOUSE DAMAGE...4 HIGH TENSION POWER

LINE TOWERS WERE BENT. EF-2 DAMAGE WAS OBSERVED AT THIS LOCATION

WITH WINDS ESTIMATED AT 125 MPH. DAMAGE TO MULTIPLE TREES AND POWER

LINES WERE OBSERVED AS THIS TORNADO CONTINUED NORTHEAST...BEFORE

REACHING W DRALLE RD WHERE CONSISTENT STRUCTURE DAMAGE WAS OBSERVED.

DAMAGE TO TWO HOUSES WAS OBSERVED ALONG THIS ROAD WITH DAMAGE ALSO

SUSTAINED TO AN ADJACENT BARN TO THE NORTH. A SEPARATE FARM TO THE

NORTHEAST ALONG S SCHEER RD HAD ROOF DAMAGE TO THE

RESIDENCE...DAMAGE TO A METAL BARN...AND TREE DAMAGE ALL CONSISTENT

OF EF-1 INTENSITY. AS THE TORNADO WEAKENED ALONG RT 45...DAMAGE TO

ONE METAL STRUCTURE WAS ALSO OBSERVED...BEFORE THIS TORNADO LIFTED

JUST SOUTH OF W STEGER RD.

EF-SCALE...

NUMBER MAXIMUM WIND GUST

-------------------------

EF-0 65-85 MPH

EF-1 86-110 MPH

EF-2 111-135 MPH

EF-3 136-165 MPH

EF-4 166-200 MPH

EF-5 OVER 200 MPH

$

ENDERLEN/RODRIGUEZ

Bruns Rd. had houses with EF2 damage on 6/7/08, just a few miles to the east.

Archived