• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November weather dicsussion

ORH_wxman

I would caution for coastal folks that the Sunday/Monday possibility is increasing rapidly on the models, while the Thanksgiving Day storm looks like a rain solution for us on the coast.  The models are trending stronger on the Sunday clipper, and with the 00z to 12z suites representing a more robust event for us on the coastline and with the water temps the way they are, the baroclinicity could help us out with moisture thrown back into the cold air mass.  We will have to check future trends, but NAM is beginning to show this as a sign as well.  I guess we just have to wait a few more days before the shortwave in question becomes sampled, but that won't happen until its over the Great Lakes.  I'm liking this clipper potential for Sunday as extremely cold air mass present will help with accumulations.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised no one is mentioning the mini snowstorm the 12z EURO depicts for coastal SNE?

Read up thread...it was mentioned. Its an inverted trough and unlikely to verify as depicted at this range.

But I think flakes flying on Sunday are a good bet for many.

Read up thread...it was mentioned. Its an inverted trough and unlikely to verify as depicted at this range.

But I think flakes flying on Sunday are a good bet for many.

Maybe we can sneak out an inch or 2 of fluff if things break right on Sunday. Hopefully it's a widespread deal..You can almost envision a fairly solid area of light/bursts of moderate snow as that potent s/w moves across  with strong winds

Do you think the pattern is too progressive and something like the GFS depicting is something more reasonable?

GFS sort of shows it too, just not as intense. It's impossible to forecast that type of mesoscale event at 4 days out...so I'm not going to speculate too much. The s/w responsible has come in deeper on the 12z suite today across all guidance, so it is something to watch going forward.

GFS sort of shows it too, just not as intense. It's impossible to forecast that type of mesoscale event at 4 days out...so I'm not going to speculate too much. The s/w responsible has come in deeper on the 12z suite today across all guidance, so it is something to watch going forward.

I'm in agreement with you, I'm not saying a snowstorm is coming, but the shortwave getting stronger and digging further southeast is something to definitely watch over the next three to four days.  Although the NAM is bad in this range, and questions remain in terms of its accuracy, but the NAM is a short range model and I think its possible we could be seeing an over correction to the shortwave.  However I think snow is possible for everyone regardless of whether or not the inverted trough develops, or we get snow from the main system.

They'll probably be some OES if winds can stay more 340 or so. Maybe a band sets up if that happens. Just way too early to bank on the euro.

I would rather bank on the disturbance going south of 40N, allowing a surface low to deepen just offshore, something like the December 20th 2010 snowstorm evolution, however time of year is against the disturbance going south of 40N.  So climo is against it, and so is modeling.  I would side with caution and see what the next two days of GFS runs show.

I would rather bank on the disturbance going south of 40N, allowing a surface low to deepen just offshore, something like the December 20th 2010 snowstorm evolution, however time of year is against the disturbance going south of 40N.  So climo is against it, and so is modeling.  I would side with caution and see what the next two days of GFS runs show.

was this the storm that models bust'd on and parts of the cape got like 10 inches but there was a sharp cut off in SE Plymouth County.

was this the storm that models bust'd on and parts of the cape got like 10 inches but there was a sharp cut off in SE Plymouth County.

While I say yes to this question, let me refrain by saying I don't think we see more than 4" if this were to verify given the sun angle, temps in the 30s and the ground being warmer right now.  However there remains the possibility that if models continue to wrap around the idea that this shortwave at H5 level is stronger than progged than this shortwave might dive enough southward to get below 40N:70W.

While I say yes to this question, let me refrain by saying I don't think we see more than 4" if this were to verify given the sun angle, temps in the 30s and the ground being warmer right now. However there remains the possibility that if models continue to wrap around the idea that this shortwave at H5 level is stronger than progged than this shortwave might dive enough southward to get below 40N:70W.

I dont meant to sound mean, but I will be.

1) the sun angle? It's about as weak as a late Jan sun, in other words negligible.

2) warm ground argument is crap. It will stick if temps are cold enough. The ground will be much colder than the 1.5" you got 2 weeks ago.

Cape Cod is the new SW CT.

Feel pretty good about the weekend chance but let's see.  We've shaken off the thoughts of pronounced inside runners and are now back to a similar situation to the last snow event on CC...frontal passage and then moisture behind it.

Winter's here folks...no over the river and through the woods in shorts on the way to grandmas house this year.

I dont meant to sound mean, but I will be.

1) the sun angle? It's about as weak as a late Jan sun, in other words negligible.

2) warm ground argument is crap. It will stick if temps are cold enough. The ground will be much colder than the 1.5" you got 2 weeks ago.

I was trying to come with reasons why it won't snow and accumulate this weekend, but that was all I could find, other than it ends up not snowing because the disturbance moves to our north and we get nothing.  But thank you for rebukking my statements, so now I know it will snow this weekend.

I was trying to come with reasons why it won't snow and accumulate this weekend, but that was all I could find, other than it ends up not snowing because the disturbance moves to our north and we get nothing. But thank you for rebukking my statements, so now I know it will snow this weekend.

Now you know that those statements won't matter IF it snows. Just trying to educate you.

Now you know that those statements won't matter IF it snows. Just trying to educate you.

Plus, it has already accumulated here in Harwich, MA this November, so soil temps have nothing to do with accumulating snows if we have already had a coating of snow during sunlight hours.  As long as the surface temp is cold enough, it will snow.

First of all let's get one thing straight.

Baroclinic zone is NOT the Gulf Stream guy-that guy is jamesnichols.

BZ is a highly respected poster-a met I believe.

Gotta love the nod to colder today......

And when the cold backed off this week, somone forget to tell it that it would bust.  Most areas were 20s or lower this morning.  that was not modeled.

I like white ground for a spell this weekend for many.

I like a cold driving rainstorm possible as I drive to NJ Wednesday but if there's a hint that it will break colder I may head out Tuesday night.  Princeton is a decent snow location actually.

First of all let's get one thing straight.

Baroclinic zone is NOT the Gulf Stream guy-that guy is jamesnichols.

BZ is a highly respected poster-a met I believe.

Gotta love the nod to colder today......

And when the cold backed off this week, somone forget to tell it that it would bust.  Most areas were 20s or lower this morning.  that was not modeled.

I like white ground for a spell this weekend for many.

I like a cold driving rainstorm possible as I drive to NJ Wednesday but if there's a hint that it will break colder I may head out Tuesday night.  Princeton is a decent snow location actually.

ya, this was replied to ....Bob the Met

Princeton, NJ a decent snow location.....for a mid atlantic weenie maybe

Archived