joxey
Mid Atlantic Snow totals thread for winter 2013/14

Midlo Snow Maker

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

That map really captures the frustration of that winter IMBY. But it had a few good events, especially St. Patrick's Day :lol:

I got way more snow in 2015/16.

Yeah, I've been trying to bump these threads as people reminisce.  I think Midlo started them for '11/'12 as I can't find one for '10/'11 - which was when this board started. It helps to look back if a person has posted faithfully in them. Definitely helped explain some of my thoughts on '13/'14 as opposed to others who view that one a bit more fondly. '13/'14 was fun, but flawed from my perspective.

11 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah, I've been trying to bump these threads as people reminisce.  I think Midlo started them for '11/'12 as I can't find one for '10/'11 - which was when this board started. It helps to look back if a person has posted faithfully in them. Definitely helped explain some of my thoughts on '13/'14 as opposed to others who view that one a bit more fondly. '13/'14 was fun, but flawed from my perspective.

I don't even get the "sustained snowcover" argument for 13/14. At least in 2014/15 I actually DID have sustained snowcover for three weeks straight.

8 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

My location broke 50" but I agree about the flawed part even here. 12/10/13 was a classic bust, 3/3/14 underperformed, and most of the stat-padder snows late February through March didn't stick on the roads. Even 1/21/14 was half over here before it started to stick on the roads. And everything was cleaned up like half an hour after the 3/17/14 storm ended. Overall, I just don't look back at that season in the same tier as 95/96, 02/03, or especially 09/10.

In a poll, I actually picked 14/15 over 13/14 because the 14/15 storms were better at covering roads and hence tended to be high impact. But I know I'm way in the minority on that.

4 hours ago, gymengineer said:

My location broke 50" but I agree about the flawed part even here. 12/10/13 was a classic bust, 3/3/14 underperformed, and most of the stat-padder snows late February through March didn't stick on the roads. Even 1/21/14 was half over here before it started to stick on the roads. And everything was cleaned up like half an hour after the 3/17/14 storm ended. Overall, I just don't look back at that season in the same tier as 95/96, 02/03, or especially 09/10.

In a poll, I actually picked 14/15 over 13/14 because the 14/15 storms were better at covering roads and hence tended to be high impact. But I know I'm way in the minority on that.

14/15 didn't even have a 6" snow at my house.  I had more snow on 2/12/14 than the entire "really cold" Feb of 2015.  I don't particularly think it is close.

23 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

14/15 didn't even have a 6" snow at my house.  I had more snow on 2/12/14 than the entire "really cold" Feb of 2015.  I don't particularly think it is close.

Well, I did say I know I'm in the way minority on that pick :)

In any case, the 2/21/15 storm was a much bigger dump in the NW suburbs than the southern ones-- remember that northwestern parts of MoCo got over a foot. That would certainly change how one views that month.

2/14 was ~20" for me while 2/15 was ~15".

Individual events from February 2015 (formatted to nearest tenth so that the quarter tenths don't look so confusing):

2/14- 2.3"

2/15-16- 3.8"

2/21- 7.3"

2/26- 1.8" 

And the 3/5/15 event (7") was my favorite storm from either 13/14 or 14/15. I mean, we all have our different priorities with snowstorms, and one of my biggest is if the snow covers the road where I'm at. I live on a major road which makes experiencing snow different than when I lived on a neighborhood street. I've posted before in other threads, but the streets were blacktop clear around me within an hour of sunrise on 2/13/14. It was depressing. And on 3/17/14, the streets were cleared by sunrise. 3/5/15 was a gorgeous daytime snow that covered every road surface as the plows around me couldn't keep up because of the cold temps and rates. 

Edited: Oh and of course 2/14/15 was one of the best weather experiences of my life. 

Archived