Newest Member
    joxey
Mid Atlantic Snow totals thread for winter 2013/14

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice stats matt. Thanks

The significant above average snow and variable weather basically door to door has made this a pretty outstanding winter.

It would be something else if we could score 2 moderate or 1 big event to push the 200% of average for all 3 airports. Regardless it's a solid redemption year after back to back disasters. I'm an optimistic weenie by nature but I have a gut feeling we do well again next year. The last 10 years have not been kind overall. Would be nice to have a period of acceptable winters in a row and lose the feast or famine thing for a time

Curious... Mapgirl... My numbers on Chestnut Ridge seem to be close to yours for the storms this year. You're at 62" or so. What was your total in 2009-10? If we verify Monday and get 8-10 or more... We've gotta be pushing those totals no? And maybe more late week?

LWX web page shows 77" for highest seasonal snowfall ever for Baltimore in 09-10. But was that at BWI? We almost tripled BWI this year IOBY. But as I recall in 09-10 the totals were way more widespread. This season our micro climate is certainly leading the pack. Well almost leading.

Anyway just curious if OBY can beat 09-10 if we hit it big next week.

Sent from my SM-N900V

Curious... Mapgirl... My numbers on Chestnut Ridge seem to be close to yours for the storms this year. You're at 62" or so. What was your total in 2009-10? If we verify Monday and get 8-10 or more... We've gotta be pushing those totals no? And maybe more late week?

LWX web page shows 77" for highest seasonal snowfall ever for Baltimore in 09-10. But was that at BWI? We almost tripled BWI this year IOBY. But as I recall in 09-10 the totals were way more widespread. This season our micro climate is certainly leading the pack. Well almost leading.

Sent from my SM-N900V

I wasn't living in Parkton during 09/19, was further south in Odenton. I've only been here since July

Ah... Ok. Well you are in the right place at the right time! I think if we hit this week we may - may - set a record here. And I never thought 09-10 would be beat. 09-10 was still the best with the 3 huge storms but add up all the events this year and we may beat the totals.

Sent from my SM-N900V

This is the map I made for 09/10, Ian used it in a book he wrote.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/757-2009-2010-mid-atlantic-snowfall-map/

Thanks that's great. We may not hit that after all. We won't get 100+" and I didn't think 09-10 was that high but I guess it was. But that's fine 09-10 was epic. I'll take the #2 slot all time this winter without any complaints at all!

Sent from my SM-N900V

Yeah, I would have to go look at the data to see what amounts were like up here. Going through data for this winter, there aren't any CoCoRaHs stations north of Cockeysville for Balt county, there is one in Norrisville in Hartford, which is close to me up here but that station has only reported 58" so far for the season. So I doubt I even have anything for northern Balt county for 09/10. Don't think any members lived that far north.

It makes doing the map a bit frustrating because I have to "guess" at what the totals were for large gaps up here. Probably skews it a bit. I've already notice some issues in my prelim map where I really wish I had more data to work with

Yeah, I would have to go look at the data to see what amounts were like up here. Going through data for this winter, there aren't any CoCoRaHs stations north of Cockeysville for Balt county, there is one in Norrisville in Hartford, which is close to me up here but that station has only reported 58" so far for the season. So I doubt I even have anything for northern Balt county for 09/10. Don't think any members lived that far north.

It makes doing the map a bit frustrating because I have to "guess" at what the totals were for large gaps up here. Probably skews it a bit. I've already notice some issues in my prelim map where I really wish I had more data to work with

Ask wxmeddler to help you out.... he knows local topography and snowfall climo inside and out, especially for the Lancaster area and probably also MD, and if you don't have enough data for places between Cockeysville and Parkton, then I think your best bet is to guess based on relative climo (though I don't think there's a huge difference between those places this year).

I'm curious about what the prelim map looks like.  I'd expect a really sharp cutoff from the Baltimore beltway south. North of there, it seems to be pretty much all 50"+ totals.

Ask wxmeddler to help you out.... he knows local topography and snowfall climo inside and out, especially for the Lancaster area and probably also MD, and if you don't have enough data for places between Cockeysville and Parkton, then I think your best bet is to guess based on relative climo (though I don't think there's a huge difference between those places this year).

I'm curious about what the prelim map looks like. I'd expect a really sharp cutoff from the Baltimore beltway south. North of there, it seems to be pretty much all 50"+ totals.

Seemingly no, it's not all 50". Only you and RR have 50" south of me, sparky, high stakes and solo in Frederick.

So right now your two locations stand out like sore spots surrounded by 40s". I have no data to fill in those gaps

Seemingly no, it's not all 50". Only you and RR have 50" south of me, sparky, high stakes and solo in Frederick.

So right now your two locations stand out like sore spots surrounded by 40s". I have no data to fill in those gaps

AdamHLG lives south of you and he has close to your total. I don't know of anyone else who lives in Balt county between Cockeysville and Parkton with less than 50.

If you really need more data then maybe try LWX's snow total maps.... scroll to the bottom and you'll find snow reports from any date you select.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/events/snowmaps/index.php

AdamHLG lives south of you and he has close to your total. I don't know of anyone else who lives in Balt county between Cockeysville and Parkton with less than 50.

If you really need more data then maybe try LWX's snow total maps.... scroll to the bottom and you'll find snow reports from any date you select.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/events/snowmaps/index.php

Here is the issue with using LWX, the same location, especially up here hasn't given a total per every event. So, that makes it harder to get total amounts in an equal not biased way. I appreciate your advice, but let me do what I do best. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900V

I wasn't living in Parkton during 09/19, was further south in Odenton. I've only been here since July

I recorded 102.5 inches here. We would have to have basically a record March to receive those totals. My guess for Chestnut Ridge/Owings Mills was at least 90 plus inches that year so I don't see 09/10 totals being challenged but then again I didn't think I would have almost 70 inches by March 1st.

Here is the issue with using LWX, the same location, especially up here hasn't given a total per every event. So, that makes it harder to get total amounts in an equal not biased way. I appreciate your advice, but let me do what I do best. Thanks.

Cool, hope you figure it out. good luck!

Mapgirl... I am at Lat 39.2837 Lon 76.4488 if that helps. However, I don't have exact measurements. I've watched your posts as you're closest to me. I'm generally an inch or so less than you during those times I measured. Not sure if this helps but I'll start measuring now and in future.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

12/8/13:  7.5"

12/10/13:  4.1"

12/14/13:  2.1"

12/17/13:  .2"

1/2/14:  4.2"

1/18/14:  .25"

1/21/14:  8.75"

1/28/14: .4"

2/3/14:  2.8"

2/9/14:  1"

2/13/14:  19.2"

2/18/14:  1.1"

2/25/14: .25"

2/26/14: .3"

Total: 52.2"  ---->Rounded up .05.

12/8 - 3"

12/10 -- 1"

12/14 --- T

12/17 --- T

1/2 ---- 5"

1/21 ---7"

1/25 --- .3"

1/28 --- .4"

2/9 --- .5"

2/12 - 2/13 --- 15.5" storm total --- 13 inches front end and 2.5 inches with ULL passage

2/15 - T

2/16 - T

2/18 - 1"

2/25 - .2"

2/26 - 1.5"

3/3 - 3" (This one was a disappointment in the end)

38.4 season total

39.35 latitude, -76.56 longitude per the google. Elevation 274'.

When we're finished, I can give you totals for my folks (near Crazy Blizz) and in-laws (Monkton off of Monkton Rd and Old York) if you're interested. Neither will be terribly different than yours, but if you're just looking for a few more data points to smooth things out on the maps it should help. 

When we're finished, I can give you totals for my folks (near Crazy Blizz) and in-laws (Monkton off of Monkton Rd and Old York) if you're interested. Neither will be terribly different than yours, but if you're just looking for a few more data points to smooth things out on the maps it should help. 

and if you are interested, here are the coords for both (with totals to come later).

In-laws: 39.573612, -76.568978

Parents: 39.761406, -76.580977

Archived