• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid November Pretend Snowstorm

Wonderdog

1.5ish or a bit more.  Mostly around 1.5"+ in the immediate area, up to around 2"+ in the mtns. And 4"+ in SW Va lol. 

sounds like that heavy 3+ day rain event we had around the 10th of October

stupid me, I like where everything sits for us right now

edit: well I did before I read HM's post just before me   :fulltilt:

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record temps to potentially challenge next week (lo max/min for 12,13,14 Nov):

IAD: 41/22, 38/21, 35/13

BWI: 41/18, 32/22, 36/18

DCA: 41/24, 31/22, 35/19

12z GFS MOS has both IAD and BWI with a high of 44F on the 12th.  That one might be reachable.  Think IAD's record low max for the 13th is also reachable in some conceivable scenarios.  The rest are probably unreachable.  

While the MJO progression going on, Aleutian High etc. are all notorious factors here, the one thing missing is the NAO. The MJO progression has similarities to 2009, 2002, 2000, 1993, 1990, 1987, 1986, 1985 at the moment and many of these had November systems (near-coastals or coastals). In the case of 1987, the MJO was classic but so was the split stream / el nino pattern. There was also a classic retrograding -NAO anomaly with 50-50 low which forced the northern stream to dig down and phase with the southern stream s/w.

In this case, we have a very strong, but quick-hitting, ridge out West that forces PV-deformation between the departing SE Canadian Low and the system that may or may not bring a coastal storm. Between typical D.A. issues and complexity of this flow, I wouldn't count on anything without the NAO.

HM,

I did a scatter diagram of 8 inch or greater events at DCA since 1950 and only 3 had a positive NAO and all of those had a pna in place.  I'd post the figure but want to save it for a CWG piece.  That's one of the reasons I still am leery of this being a meaningful snow event for dca.  That said,  it still could happen even though I rank the probability of meaningful snow as still be pretty low. 

we're 6 days out and all the computers show a winter-type storm with huge potential

none of the details on any of the computers today will verify and the mountains are always favored, especially so this time of year

I'm pretty pleased to be where we are frankly, and so should every other weenie on this board

fun few days ahead and I'm all in

Exactly. And rather than cling to each successive operational run this far out, we need to first look for some growing consensus among the ensembles. As for me personally, I still tend to have more faith in the EC ensemble member trends than with the GEFS or CMC. I guess that's based on my own subjective verification. Ideally you want to see growing consensus among all the global ensembles as we draw closer to 120 hours out.

I dont think many of us would mind a 1-2" hit of snow then rain... or rain to 1-2" of snow... any snow in November is a bonus... any correlations to the Vet Day Storm in 1987? 

They both happened in November. Well, assuming this storm happens. 

I still wonder if wx bell snow maps are a bit wonky. They don't seem to match up with other maps all the. It does look like last yr.. Elevation and SW va ftw.

The wording on the bottom of the image make me wonder, specifically the min temp of 32 in a 6 hour period.  Makes it seem like they are just multiplying whatever QPF fell by 10 in a period with a temp at or below 32.  Not really a great way to do it in a borderline situation.

Mitch is right, the fact that almost all the models agree that there will be a storm is very encouraging, we also have a transient 50/50 which gives us a miraculous shot of cold air. The real question becomes where does the shortwave wrap/close off. I mean there's still a shot is closes off in the perfect spot ala 00z euro...Its 11/7 and were tracking a winter storm, thats all I care about, its half the fun. 

In Wes' WaPo Article, he says most of the Euro Ensembles are more progressive :(    Some are nice for us though. 

That's only from hearing what others say (Brain Hurley and Jim Cisco) and wouldn't hold up in a court of law.  The Euro ens mean certainly argues that members most are more progressive. 

The wording on the bottom of the image make me wonder, specifically the min temp of 32 in a 6 hour period.  Makes it seem like they are just multiplying whatever QPF fell by 10 in a period with a temp at or below 32.  Not really a great way to do it in a borderline situation.

Yeah, comparing it to one of the GFS runs it seemed like the snow line matched up with that. It was giving areas snow with 850s above freezing.  

Archived