SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you totally lost me on this one, who was talking about Sandy?

No one is talking about it, but it's clear people are using the Sandy op run example as a reason why it's superior to all models and why it will happen. Read around. Of course it's 7 days out and anything can happen, but no reason to fall in love with one model so far out in time.

No one is talking about it, but it's clear people are using the Sandy op run example as a reason why it's superior to all models and why it will happen. Read around. Of course it's 7 days out and anything can happen, but no reason to fall in love with one model so far out in time.

I know TWC was showing (last night) Euro vs GFS and calling the Euro superior, but giving themselves outs and explaining about the ensembles vs op

No mention of Sandy though

I know TWC was showing (last night) Euro vs GFS and calling the Euro superior, but giving themselves outs and explaining about the ensembles vs op

No mention of Sandy though

I guess I look at it from a realistic P.O.V. I don't like how the op runs are treated as gospel 7+ days out...esp the euro. The euro is dam good and inside 3 days...it can't be beat. But 7 days out is anyone's guess most of the time. Oh well....media being media.

Personally im just waiting for Phil to say wether he's buying a "ticket" circa sunday nite/monday

Cpick... your Greens are trying to do their thing or at least keep a wintery feel out there.  Nice light upslope snow has been falling at the house this morning...real deal cold, big flakes swirling around. 

Might not be as magical as GC in Mass, but this micro-climate puts flakes in the air ;)

Nov_8.gif

One of the big issues we can't get past next week is the +NAO pumping up heights over the southeast. That just enhances the mass gradient (that's already there with the strong baroclinicity). The s/w energy in question is running into 250mb heights around 1056dm with WSW winds >150kts. Pretty hard to compress and amplify against. So you have this PV filament (string of shear of vorticity) that we want to consolidate into curvature vorticity, but 150kt WSW winds are constantly shooting any tiny PV maxima that develop eastward. So we're just left with that PV filament pushing SE while being stretched off to the NE and no potential for amplification of any sort.

One of the big issues we can't get past next week is the +NAO pumping up heights over the southeast. That just enhances the mass gradient (that's already there with the strong baroclinicity). The s/w energy in question is running into 250mb heights around 1056dm with WSW winds >150kts. Pretty hard to compress and amplify against. So you have this PV filament (string of shear of vorticity) that we want to consolidate into curvature vorticity, but 150kt WSW winds are constantly shooting any tiny PV maxima that develop eastward. So we're just left with that PV filament pushing SE while being stretched off to the NE and no potential for amplification of any sort.

Unless you buy the euro op run...lol. But yeah, that's not helping either. It really is a thread the needle event to get something.

Unless you buy the euro op run...lol. But yeah, that's not helping either. It really is a thread the needle event to get something.

I don't really get what the excitement is about. Pattern doesn't support this, ensembles don't support this, the models that have had it have had absolutely no run-to-run consistency.

Has fail written all over it.

I'm more interested in the arctic fropa on Tuesday.

lol

I mean, once you get enough of a consolidated PV max, the whole baroclinic positive feedback process kicks in ... surface circulation, and warm advection helping form ridging downstream, upstream of the Quebec shortwave. And so on. And in this case, with such a strong baroclinic zone, the timescale for this is super short. But we first need to get past that "critical amplitude" ..all or nothing

I don't really get what the excitement is about. Pattern doesn't support this, ensembles don't support this, the models that have had it have had absolutely no run-to-run consistency.

lol

I mean, once you get enough of a consolidated PV max, the whole baroclinic positive feedback process kicks in ... surface circulation, and warm advection helping form ridging downstream, upstream of the Quebec shortwave. And so on. And in this case, with such a strong baroclinic zone, the timescale for this is super short. But we first need to get past that "critical amplitude" ..all or nothing

Don't tell the NYC crowd, a few are already plotting to kidnap me.

The arctic front probably offers the best chance for a burst of SN...even a hint of a wave along the front.

I am guessing a similar media blitz happens each year when the very first "threat" makes a desperate attempt at dropping an inch anywhere in the megalopolis...

Talk more about Tuesday.

Timing the rest of the pattern against that wavebreak is crucial. The position of that massive ridge doesn't change, nor the amplitude or timing the break. It's what the break is acting on. Crashing against rocks or sand ;)

Obviously this has been covered ...but, this run will ...or perhaps more so the 00z run this evening, will be telling.  The Euro has that known bias of over-digging troughs beyond D5, particularly between D's 6 and 10 is when it exercises that bias, but it does at times (though with less frequency) do so around D5.   Last night's exotic run was suspiciously over-dug in the western Ohio Valley going from D4 to D5; and then of course, once the deed is done it has/had to be conserved along the EC.  The question is, does that digging survive another run?  This next run crosses even more inside that critical temporal boundary of D5.  

My hunch is no ... or perhaps it starts backing off.  

Lord I have been wrong before, but ... I am not finding other guidance sources that support that sort of solution from D4.5 onward.  The Euro is virtually alone.  12 members of the GFS ensembles and only two solutions gave any vague semblance of the Euro's severing the bottom of the trough like that.  And though I don't get to look at the individual Euro ensemble members, I did see the smoothed mean and it only suggests one or two members might be tugging the mean in the operational's favor.  This Euro run is, at this time, an extreme outlier that has the appearance of having delivered us another one of it's dig-lusty fantasies.   

Wonders never cease.  We'll just have to see.  The 12z GFS continues to not offer much support, as is, however, it did actually trend ever so slightly deeper in the TV.  Thing is, unless a wave in the flow has a very deep vertical integration, it is very difficult to get them to turn around dial like that.  The Euro's mechanics are weird looking, taking a positive tilted wave that is pressing S into a modest +SD height field, yet it finds the wherewithal to pull that off.  Can't see the other sigma levels; maybe it has a powerful U/A wave component to that whole mess.  

NCEP noted yesterday (Fracasso) that they didn't want to comment to far on the event as they were concerned about sampling deficits.   I don't see that a lot could have changed as far as that goes.  However, the canvas is an intriguing one in that the air mass in the 850 to sfc thickness is somewhere's around -1.5 to -2SD, and that is going to kiss the west Atlantic.  It's a volatile set up when that happens, either way...

Having said all that, there is actually a very weak Archembault signal for the D4-6 time range.  Both the CDC and CPC show that a sneaky upward spike in the PNA has evolved in the means over the last couple of nights. It's not impressively large, no, but it is there nonetheless.  

so OKX just tweeted this out

Conditions are leading to a greater risk of brush fire spread today

Hmm, .58 in the bucket yesterday, heavy frost this morning, a rain shower this morning, fully clouded over 45 degrees 54% humidity, am I missing something?

you got alot more than we did out west...most of OKX's area saw less than .15

Archived