joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-22 inverted trough/retro precip midweek threat

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has it come to this now? A separate thread for what for some might be at best a couple inches 3.5 days away ( more for the Cape)? We have become a pathetic bunch haven't we? lol

Could be more, especially near the coast and in Maine. (Hmmmmm ....)

Most modeling is spitting out 3-5" amounts east of ORH. Here's dendrite's Euro QPF

00z EC inv trof QPF

0.50" line...EFK-LCI-ASH-ORH-TAN

0.25" line...PBG-VSF-BAF-BDL-GON

0.10" line...ALB-DXR-BDR

Not an insignificant system for many (advisory-level) and the largest event of the year, sadly enough.

I'm all in. lol

Most modeling is spitting out 3-5" amounts east of ORH. Here's dendrite's Euro QPF

00z EC inv trof QPF

0.10" line...ALB-DXR-BDR

Not an insignificant system for many (advisory-level) and the largest event of the year, sadly enough.

I'm all in. lol

Point taken. II was looking at the GFS's qpf depictions. On those EC ones, I guess I'm in the .10" zone. Nothing like the possibility of an inverterted trof three days out to garner excitement.. Hopefully there will be surprises for those in the congested areas and for the ME folk. Good luck!

00z EC inv trof QPF

0.10" line...ALB-DXR-BDR

I'm all in. lol

Yeah that would be a solid 2-4 or 3-6 inch event from Danbury on Northeast with even more closer to the coast

The GFS and euro are very different at 500mb which is why we see the different outcomes.

Here is the euro. Note the euro has a closed H5 low going south of sne. This enhances the qpf and trough that rotate down. In fact, you would almost think a mini low would form due to the H5 pattern. Pretty conducive to cyclogenesis. Note how the trough progresses in 24 hrs.

Euro 96hrs

post-33-0-65738900-1292672017.gif

Euro 120 hrs

post-33-0-33302000-1292672040.gif

Now look at the gfs at h500mb. It has the trough coming south, but is way flatter and therefore has little qpf over the region.

post-33-0-17913000-1292672148.gif

post-33-0-72400500-1292672165.gif

So these are the differences.

Yeah that would a solid 2-4 or 3-6 inch event from Danbury on Northeast with even more closer to the coast

Kevin.....with .10 at DXR, how do you come up with a "solid 2" in Danbury? I would equate that to perhaps an inch, probably less given the duration of time it will take for that .1 to materialize.

After what just happened tough to put too much stock in any model..but even so I'm glad it's the Euro showing it and not the GFS..Potetntial is certainly there for a nice snowfall for all of us

They're the only models we've got. We can either love them or we can leave them. I'll choose to love them. :wub:

Could be a sneaky nice snow for some. I like the potential for up here for sure. GFS was more potent at 0z, so I'll toss the 6z result. lol

They're the only models we've got. We can either love them or we can leave them. I'll choose to love them. :wub:

Could be a sneaky nice snow for some. I like the potential for up here for sure. GFS was more potent at 0z, so I'll toss the 6z result. lol

I remain skeptical. We've been talking about this "sneaky" inverted trough consolation prize for a couple days already, and it's still 3 days away. It's hard enough to pin these things down 12 hours in advance. As has been the case so far this season, I can certainly see areas farther downeast doing OK.

After what just happened tough to put too much stock in any model..but even so I'm glad it's the Euro showing it and not the GFS..Potetntial is certainly there for a nice snowfall for all of us

Norluns might be ocean VD, but it's the only VD we've got (hopefully).

yeah the Euro looks interesting...would hope some other models start to come around to that sort of idea...or heck...even for the Euro to hold the solution for a few cycles. Not getting my hopes up for that just yet.

I'm curious about the potential Christmas Miracle storm...seemed like some decent agreement between the Euro and GFS at 0z, albeit solutions were a little south but plenty of time to adjust. Looks more like a SWFE, which we've had better luck with in recent years. Too early to start a separate thread?

yeah the Euro looks interesting...would hope some other models start to come around to that sort of idea...or heck...even for the Euro to hold the solution for a few cycles. Not getting my hopes up for that just yet.

I'm curious about the potential Christmas Miracle storm...seemed like some decent agreement between the Euro and GFS at 0z, albeit solutions were a little south but plenty of time to adjust. Looks more like a SWFE, which we've had better luck with in recent years. Too early to start a separate thread?

yes--too early. This will be a freak show with multiple threat threads, banter thread, general pattern trend.

Music to my ears.

Archived