Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told them if they feel safe in Tacloban to just stay there...

Even there I would not say they are totally safe. Construction standards here in the Philippines are not quite up to par with what we are used to and even the sturdiest looking structures may not be all that sound. They use a lot of hollow block construction even in a lot of the high rises which I find surprising given the frequency of earthquakes. I wish them well in their journey, but it is just not worth the risk if you ask me. They may wish they had decided not to chase this one when all is said and done. 

165 knots is actually sustained Cat 5.

Edit to note EF scale was being referred to.

Not sure it is apples to apples, because it seems tornadoes have winds w/ both horizontal and vertical components, but 195 mph gusting near 250 mph, that will flatten many buildings.

And while away from the epicenter, who knows how mnay buildings have hidden damage from the October 15th earthquake,  I checked, and that Bohol quake was felt on Samar and Leyte.

I must say it's incredibly eerie texting back and forth with Josh knowing what is ahead. Something we have always talked about chasing is in his path. As macabre as it sounds we were actually talking about if he needed to adjust positions to intercept the center.

Don't mistake that he (and James) doesn't realize the extreme danger that the cyclone poses...

That's quite a number!

Tip (the storm, not the person) was 870mb

Strongest storm ever if that number is accurate.

Just an estimate actually. For the sake of argument, the JTWC estimates are 887mb 

Personally, I wouldn't want to mess with a cyclones core that holds 165-170 knot sustained winds. 

It's gone Isabel! (Josh will like that).  

Big storm.. those little mesovorts often have stronger winds etc. 

Yeah I just did a little google search. Very violent supercells within the eyewall. I remember when the hurricane hunters were reporting hail aloft in Isabel. I wonder if that will occur with this system.

Why doesn't the US air force assist with such dangerous cyclones such as this one? Certainly we have plenty of air force bases in the south Pacific.

Josh and co's plan for now is to stay in Tacloblan. We both agreed that "this $hit was too crazy" to go messin around in fishing towns/ villages.

Glad to hear that.  Those town and villages on the east coast of Samar are barely above sea level and only protected by mangroves (which is to say no protection at all.)   Checking out the area on Google earth, I could find no well built structures in any of those towns.  In fact the tallest/sturdiest building I saw was the church in Borongan.  A very good idea for them to stay put in Tacloban.

Archived