• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bx1000
    Newest Member
    bx1000
Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MaineJayhawk

NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

Thanks, I feel stupid and had forgotten that orion was a constellation and not one star. I must be seeing something else in the sw sky at night. Very bright and even visible before complete darkness.

That is Venus brilliantly shining in the SW at dusk.

Damn it, the NWS removed my snow chances for the morning but it does make sense that this area may be missed. Ahh well.

CON came damn close to their record low of 16F in 1969. Yesterday's record was 11F so low to mid 10s aren't unheard of this time of year.

Friday could get interesting for high wind lovers. 55 knots showing up at 925 mb on the GFS. The question is what kind of profile for mixing that to the surface will we see.

CON came damn close to their record low of 16F in 1969. Yesterday's record was 11F so low to mid 10s aren't unheard of this time of year.

Holy crap...11F at CON in October seems ridiculous. Is that the monthly record?

Holy crap...11F at CON in October seems ridiculous. Is that the monthly record?

10F on 10/21/1972 and 10/24/1969

CON can go into radiating beast mode sometimes. All-time record low is -37F in that brutal mid Feb 1943 outbreak.

CON can go into radiating beast mode sometimes. All-time record low is -37F in that brutal mid Feb 1943 outbreak.

That's really impressive. The 10F reading on Oct 21st is only two-thirds through the month...that must've been one helluva cold snap.

thanks. I should have taken an astronomy course back in school.

If you have an i phone, Download the star walk app, Hold it up to the sky and it tells you what everything is up their, Pretty cool

CON loves to do the sunrise surprise thing too. Those last few hours before sunrise they can make up a lot of ground.

NYC hit -8, most recent day they've fallen below -2 and 3rd coldest ever.  Most incredible, to me anyway, is the -39 at PWM, their coldest ever - by 13F.  And since it occurred in mid-Feb (2/16), their avg temps had already risen 4-5F from winter's lowest.  Both the 15th and 16th approached 40F below avg, and I'm fairly confident that the -39 (recorded about 100 yd from the tidal/brackish Fore River) is this country's coldest shoreline temp south of the Aleutians.

Had 43/14 at my place, 2nd only to the 12F morning of 10/31/02 in 16 Octobers here.  Down to 22 at 9 PM, would probably match or beat this morning's low if the clouds didn't roll in as forecast.

Had 18-19 at 5 AM, into low 20s by 6:45, under cloudy skies with occasional wind gusts. Ice on the washtub was 1/2", thicker than yesterday's (which had all melted before sunset), because most of last night was in the teens though the bottom wasn't as cold as yesterday's.

Anyone seeing any flakes this morning? Some flurries in Winooski ongoing as of 8:30am.

Several folks coming into the office here in Portland west end stated they saw a few flakes on their way to work. Checked radar and not much showing. I saw what I perceived to be a few flakes on my way in to work around 5:45 am. Just can't be positive that is what I saw.

Several folks coming into the office here in Portland west end stated they saw a few flakes on their way to work. Checked radar and not much showing. I saw what I perceived to be a few flakes on my way in to work around 5:45 am. Just can't be positive that is what I saw.

Most likely as they are small and just a little teaser of course.

Most likely as they are small and just a little teaser of course.

A tease indeed. Then a full blown Indian Summer come Friday. Got to love New England weather!

A tease indeed. Then a full blown Indian Summer come Friday. Got to love New England weather!

Very true but the upside is we may see a little bit of a wind event out of it.

32.5F very light snow. Vis about 5 miles. Slight dusting on parts of ground protected from sunlight.

Weenie snow but the first of the year none the less!!

LOL yeah this was one for the black construction paper.