• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

So what exactly is the cause for that narrow clearing downstream of MWN...is that just a thin line of sinking air or is it just because the moisture is being blocked by the mountain, and there's lower RH in that thin band following the downstream vectors?

I can visualize the mountain wave patterns propagating downstream, with areas of rising air and clouds, followed by sinking air and clear, etc...but am having a hard time with that thin line, as MWN is over-ruling anything else happening in the atmosphere.

I would guess it's a little of both at play. You still have the wave cloud patterns downstream (even in the dry stripe), but there is obviously moisture being robbed from the parcels on their descent.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess it's a little of both at play. You still have the wave cloud patterns downstream (even in the dry stripe), but there is obviously moisture being robbed from the parcels on their descent.

Thanks. It's awesome in a meso-scale way (I love that stuff) but I was thinking the larger scale wave patterns off the Whites would over-rule the blocking. But the more I look at it, you can still see remnants of the mountain waves in the form of scattered clouds in that dry line (like you said). Just sweet stuff to analyze on a slow weather day.

Nice. Heading up to crawford notch this wknd to do some hiking with the new trekking poles. You use any on your hikes?

What are those storage tanks? Don't recall ever seeing those.

Enjoy the hike - looks like excellent weather!  Where are you going?  I will be over at North and South Baldface on Sunday.  I do not use trekking poles.  I guess they help out the knees, but mine are fine so no worries from me.

Those storage tanks on MWN, which each hold 20,000 gallons, store fuel for their kerosene-burning furnace.

Really? I went on Sunday 9/15 when it was just as nice and the trails weren't packed at all. Is it because it will be near peak foliage this weekend?

Peak foliage, outstanding weather. It depends on the trail too. If he's coming from Mizpah, he'll be taking Crawford Path which is heavily used. Other trails like Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail probably not as busy. I'd imagine Tuckerman will be a zoo. Saturday would likely be busier than Sunday

Well another stretch of perfect fall weather.

Looking ahead I think we stay warm and sunny through early october.

I love snow, but man, if it is going to stay like this....fine with me.

:huh:

Havent seen the sun in days. Have seen Mansfields summit for only a few hours on Tuesday....today was looking like sun and it keeps getting delayed. This has been a rough week for sun. And temps have been stale in the 40s and 50s so it's not really cold but it's not warm either. Broken record all week with relatively low diurnal changes..last 24 hours was 60/42, before that 60/44, 59/46, 50/44.

"&& Near term /until 8 PM this evening/... as of 725 am EDT Friday...stratus deck persisting over the north country...with exception of slv. A couple of breaks within the cloud shield developing this morning. Have adjusted forecast to current surface and satellite observation...including mostly cloudy wording for most of the area."

:huh:

Havent seen the sun in days. Have seen Mansfields summit for only a few hours on Tuesday....today was looking like sun and it keeps getting delayed. This has been a rough week for sun. And temps have been stale in the 40s and 50s so it's not really cold but it's not warm either. Broken record all week with relatively low diurnal changes..last 24 hours was 60/42, before that 60/44, 59/46, 50/44.

"&& Near term /until 8 PM this evening/... as of 725 am EDT Friday...stratus deck persisting over the north country...with exception of slv. A couple of breaks within the cloud shield developing this morning. Have adjusted forecast to current surface and satellite observation...including mostly cloudy wording for most of the area."

And it seems like we're only a day away from losing the deck, except that it keeps coming back. There's some blue outside now, but mostly cloudy is this week's theme. Last 4 days look similar to yours: 55/40, 53/42, 59/42, 60/42 (Mon-Thurs.) Only down to about 50 this morning, so at least that's changed.

I found a decent tree today... but you can see the hillsides in the background look pretty bland.  Of course with some processing and the right light I could make them pop a bit more.

1379242_10151598809372382_1686314266_n.j

Believe it or not it is better to shoot it when it is cloudy or a low sun angle. In the mid day sun it does get washed out quite a bit.

Believe it or not it is better to shoot it when it is cloudy or a low sun angle. In the mid day sun it does get washed out quite a bit.

Oh yeah, definitely. This year that seems to matter more in my photography, at least so far. Last year they were so vibrant it didn't matter...could've taken photos at night with glowing trees, haha.

I do think if we can get some sun and diurnal swings for the next week, the colors will pop stronger.

Oh yeah, definitely. This year that seems to matter more in my photography, at least so far. Last year they were so vibrant it didn't matter...could've taken photos at night with glowing trees, haha.

I do think if we can get some sun and diurnal swings for the next week, the colors will pop stronger.

Yeah this was my chance as I am going away next week and will miss it if they do.

You got some awesome shots though...numbers 3 and 6 in your post are my favorites. Love the road and foliage look (very NNE-looking) and the the cloud sitting on the top of that hill with foliage below is awesome.

Thank you and yeah I definitely enjoyed it today!

So what exactly is the cause for that narrow clearing downstream of MWN...is that just a thin line of sinking air or is it just because the moisture is being blocked by the mountain, and there's lower RH in that thin band following the downstream vectors?

I can visualize the mountain wave patterns propagating downstream, with areas of rising air and clouds, followed by sinking air and clear, etc...but am having a hard time with that thin line, as MWN is over-ruling anything else happening in the atmosphere.

This was most likely a case (and probably confirmed by the picture Jayhawk posted) of undercast. That narrow stripe is caused by air moving around MWN, not over it. You get the mountain waves where air travels over the rest of the Whites, but MWN was above the cloud layer and thus air was moving around the peak. The disturbance created by the mountain propagates downstream with the flow.

On a larger scale you see this quite often in the Pacific, where the trade wind inversion (large subsidence inversion) does the blocking and islands act as rocks in a river.

clouds-juan-fernandez-110531-02.jpg?1320

Flow will tend to go around the land rather than over, creating clear slots downstream.

Well I'm enjoying watching the webcams of nice days in the area... Saturday morning and I get to enjoy being home, drinking coffee on the southeast facing deck that gets full sunlight.  Only problem is, I can't see the trees 1/3rd of a mile away. 

Thick, heavy fog remains as of 10am, and MVL has been putting up 1/2sm to 1/4sm obs all morning.

So I'll live vicariously through the webcams of the area, lol.

Looks like Waterbury has the same view...

But up at the ski resort its been full sun since sunrise...

And on the western slope at similar elevation to here, looks like a beautiful day.

10am visible satellite image... fog is not burning quickly. Can tell the sun angle is lowering because in July this stuff would've burnt off by like 7:30am, haha.

10am temps have 53F at the top of Mount Mansfield, and 47F here in town... so there's that low level inversion keeping the fog around.

fog.jpg

Fog burned off halfway through my sons soccer game and now it is gorgeous out. It will get to you!

I wanted to try a milky way shot but every night has seen too many clouds around. I am hoping that won't be the case tonight as that pesky Quebec low moves out.

The funny thing is, in winter, I love these set-ups when a low stalls and keeps pumping flurries and snow showers through day after day.  I even think I prefer cloudy in late fall and winter.  Something about the cozy feeling they provide.

Archived