Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For pfreak and J spin, do you see parts of nw vt being hit by a second piece /lagging piece of energy tomm pm. I think btv disco mentions this but im not sure and was wondering if it is a trowal feature , either way i thought it bears watching as thermal profiles are dropping around that time.

I don’t know enough to say whether there’s a trowal feature anticipated (I assume the storm has to be occluding) but there was one of the model runs recently that gave me an impression like that.  Sometimes it seems as though it’s the upslope precipitation hanging around that gives that look.  All the latest runs I’ve looked at (GFS, NAM, ECMWF) certainly seem to show a few tenths of an inch of liquid equivalent hanging around after the 850 mb temperatures have dropped, and the thicknesses are on their way back down to 540 dam, so that would mean snow to me, and it’s in line with what the BTV NWS has in their forecast for the back side of the storm.  I do like how the latest 12Z run of the NAM appears relatively stingy with the precipitation around here during the warm part of the storm, and then picks up again with the colder air (maybe we’re in the dry slot or something).  Whatever the case, I’m sure the mountain snowpack (and us skiers) would appreciate keeping the liquid middle portion of the sandwich storm on the leaner side relative to the colder parts of the system.

Hello NNE'rs! So, after years of consideration, I may be actually making the move to get a place in the mountains. I LOVE Stowe and would love to have a place there, but realistically, it's a bit too much of a drive to do frequently, so I've been considering the Lincoln, NH area - maybe a quarter share at Loon. I've been trying to find average snowfall for the area but I'm getting some wild ranges. I imagine it's not too bad, though? Any recommendations for other places I should consider? The snowiest the better... but also don't want to be too far from Boston. Thanks!

Hello NNE'rs! So, after years of consideration, I may be actually making the move to get a place in the mountains. I LOVE Stowe and would love to have a place there, but realistically, it's a bit too much of a drive to do frequently, so I've been considering the Lincoln, NH area - maybe a quarter share at Loon. I've been trying to find average snowfall for the area but I'm getting some wild ranges. I imagine it's not too bad, though? Any recommendations for other places I should consider? The snowiest the better... but also don't want to be too far from Boston. Thanks!

I have seen Loon Mt avg annual snowfall listed between 120-170" depending on source, so it's decent, but well short of VT resorts.

Lincoln is a good place for 2nd property because it's lively all year save mud season.  You should have few problems renting or reselling if you desire.  The skiing at Loon is overcrowded and overpriced, but they do a great job making and grooming snow.  Cannon is also very nearby and they have some of the best terrain in the area, so it makes up for some of the issues at Loon.

If you want the most snow, Green Mt. spine from Killington and north of there is the undisputed winner.  Generally the farther north you get, the more snow in the greens.

Wife slid off the road with the somewhat still new Subie. Peeled the tire off the rim, but no other visible damage. She's fine thankfully.

sorry to hear that.. I have noticed that the all-season tires they install by default are pretty poor for traction

was no impressed with my '11 legacy until I put the blizzaks on it.

I did this 10 years ago, sold my business and home in the Boston area to move up to the mountains and enjoy frequent real winters. At first I looked up in the Lincoln area but wanted to balance my love of weather with distance to shopping, hospitals etc. Finally settled in the Plymouth NH area. Boston is only 2 hours and shopping is not that far. I picked a home with elevation (1100 feet) so I get more snow than downtown Plymouth. 85" is fine with me. Just don't get as many squalls/flurries as up in Lincoln. Look at the northern areas like the Newfound Lake area. So many times its snowing here and raining just 20 miles south like in Dendrites area. Good Luck!

Oh, one more thing. Of course Powderfreak gets much more snow but this area is great with snow retention. So many times Im icing with freezing rain and the Vermont spine is in the warm air. Lincoln, down through Plymouth to Newfound Lake gets cold air drainage from the Whites.

Upslope figures are really really impressive 0z - 14z Thursday. 

Peaks at -13C at 850, -16ubar/sec and satuaration from 900mb through 750 at around 12z Thursday.

I wish it were longer for the maching to kick on but at the very least data shows a robust period of upslope snow where total output qpf is in the .6 inches range. Prob going to work out to a quick 4-8 inch at 2inhr rates

Upslope figures are really really impressive 0z - 14z Thursday. 

Peaks at -13C at 850, -16ubar/sec and satuaration from 900mb through 750 at around 12z Thursday.

I wish it were longer for the maching to kick on but at the very least data shows a robust period of upslope snow where total output qpf is in the .6 inches range. Prob going to work out to a quick 4-8 inch at 2inhr rates

is this separate and apart from the snow forecasted by NWS to commence tomorrow night, or all the same thing?

Get a place w elevation. I would think some place on kancamamgus aoa 1500' but there is somewhat slim pickings. There is some gorgeous property on 302 about 10-15 miles nw of attitash with decent elevation and i think excellent snowpack retention. N NH above Berlin is awesome but far as well. If i were YOU i would get a place about 3 hrs 10 mins from boston @Bolton valley. Elevation is 2k and affordable and you will get CRUSHED , straight highway back to Boston. You will see snow almost every day , how do you weight that against another 40 mins in a drive.

I'm down in the Poconos visiting my girlfriend...for reference for you NNE guys, precip started here as snow around 6am, and flipped to ZR around noon. Still 31.2F and ZR- here.

As a team, our VTrans team went for 1-3" in the CPV, and 2-4" for the NEK with this event. Maybe some additional on the backside, mainly in northern VT. Stowe and Jay could get dumped on Turkey Day.

Long range looks active and cold enough for snow looking beyond the holiday...hoping for the best. 

Get a place w elevation. I would think some place on kancamamgus aoa 1500' but there is somewhat slim pickings. There is some gorgeous property on 302 about 10-15 miles nw of attitash with decent elevation and i think excellent snowpack retention. N NH above Berlin is awesome but far as well. If i were YOU i would get a place about 3 hrs 10 mins from boston @Bolton valley. Elevation is 2k and affordable and you will get CRUSHED , straight highway back to Boston. You will see snow almost every day , how do you weight that against another 40 mins in a drive.

it's about 3:10 minutes on the nose to Bolton Valley from downtown Boston, and there's lots of stuff for sale at Bolton Valley as of last week.  Should be pretty affordable as far as it's a buyer's market in that spot.  20 mins to Waterbury, VT (great food and drink options), 30 mins to Burlington(even more stuff to do), 45 min to Stowe/Mad River Valley (goes without saying).   Lots of nightlife/restaurants in all those places

It will snow more often than not at 2000+ft, and Bolton's nestled in that high elevation valley- which makes for nice summer and fall, too. Lots of good hiking right out the door, and the skiing's pretty good, too (beats just about everything in New Hampshire for my tastes at least- lots of sidecountry/backcountry access, too).  It would be worth the extra 40 mins if you like snow without a doubt.  You'll probably pack up and move there after a few seasons.

Roxbury, VT may have some low cost, high elevation options just a few minutes from I-89 and Sugarbush... Old Warren Rd toward sugarbush gets up to 2400 ft in elevation and is plowed year round (highest plowed road in Vermont?  Awesome views!). Much lower cost on the Roxbury side. 2 hours 45 minutes from Boston and a short drive (< 20mins) to the mad river valley- which puts you in the 250+"" year snow belt and ambiance of the  Northern Greens, and away from the tourist-heavy region of Loon/Lincoln.

I'd look for elevation like Gene said. Woodford, VT in the southern Greens has rt9 run right through it and you're under 10 mins away from downtown Bennington. The elevation is over 2kft there.

If you do central NH definitely look for something near 1500ft so you can rub in to Gene how many times you're snowing while he's raining. lol

I'd look for elevation like Gene said. Woodford, VT in the southern Greens has rt9 run right through it and you're under 10 mins away from downtown Bennington. The elevation is over 2kft there.

If you do central NH definitely look for something near 1500ft so you can rub in to Gene how many times you're snowing while he's raining. lol

Southern VT can be well over 3 hours from Boston- Rt 2 can be a crawl in places.  Might as well go to Stowe/Sugarbush, where there's more snow and options for lower cost in surrounding towns (not competing with the massive New York crowd).

West Bethel Maine area, prices are lower, snow is plenty, Sunday River, Wildcat nearby.

Southern VT can be well over 3 hours from Boston- Rt 2 can be a crawl in places.  Might as well go to Stowe/Sugarbush, where there's more snow and options for lower cost in surrounding towns (not competing with the massive New York crowd).

I agree, but was just throwing different options out there.

If I had a weenie location it'd be in a mountain valley...something like SLK. I want the elevation, but the radiational cooling too. Waterville Valley would be an interesting site.

Yeah SLK or Lake Placid is pretty crazy being the fact that they are the bottom of the valley floor and situated at 1,600-2,000ft in that area.  Lake Placid is like 1,800-1,900ft in a valley.  That's pretty hard to find in the east.

I'm pretty close to my preferred weenie location... in all honesty it would be up at the Bolton Valley area (lots of grad students from UVM, ski bums, families) live up there.  I know several people that work in Stowe and live up there (its about 35-40 minutes from Stowe)...living at 2,100ft along the Spine of the Greens where your house/apartment/condo legitimately averages 250" a year.  Its essentially Woodford but with a lot more latitude and a lot more upslope.  Some of my friends will have a legit 4 foot snowpack in their front yards up there each winter.  And the snow season our your front door can run from late-September to late-May. 

Another spot would be the 1,500ft neighborhoods here in Stowe like Notchbrook area which is essentially right across from the base area.  I have a friend who lives in a condo in one of those developments and he gets a lot more snow than I do here in the valley.  Its essentially the same climate as my work office, probably in the area of 200" a year and great snowpack retention being tucked on the immediate east side.

Archived