• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

That one is good, too.  A little quicker than I'd like with the upslope, but would still be a net gain in the mountains with snow to rain back to snow. 

The track of the surface and mid level lows would argue for more of a westerly wind flow through the column as it gets due north of FVE...that would probably end up working well for the eastern side.  From Muccilli's study, the presence of a more northerly wind somewhere in the lower levels seems to be the killer for east of the spine axis, but the track on the GFS would probably avoid that (sorry eyewall). 

I'm most interested pow wise in the Sun-Mon time frame. The profiles I see show a rather consisitent wind in the 290 degree range, with -8c down to base with saturated airmass and omega values in the -8 to -12 range. With peak upslope coming 0z monday.

its not perfect movement but it certainly has my interest perked

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm most interested pow wise in the Sun-Mon time frame. The profiles I see show a rather consisitent wind in the 290 degree range, with -8c down to base with saturated airmass and omega values in the -8 to -12 range. With peak upslope coming 0z monday.

A snowy opening weekend into Thanksgiving week would be pretty sweet.  Ideal scenario would be to throw down some junk with wet snow or mixed bag over the weekend (as even like 3" of snow/sleet/ice can be enough base) and then throw some upslope fluff over-top.  It would be nice to get another smooth layer down before topping it off with fluff ;)  Beggars can't be choosers though.

Monday?  Thanksgiving week, that is not good....for me.  :axe:  can we get this cranking for sunday, please. :snowing:

A snowy opening weekend into Thanksgiving week would be pretty sweet.  Ideal scenario would be to throw down some junk with wet snow or mixed bag over the weekend (as even like 3" of snow/sleet/ice can be enough base) and then throw some upslope fluff over-top.  It would be nice to get another smooth layer down before topping it off with fluff ;)  Beggars can't be choosers though.

That is sorta exactly what I'm thinking. Something sloppy and wet saturday followed by colder and colder temps and snow through till tuesday. (Stop me if you have heard that before).

-A.J.

How's it look for the Mt Washington Valley into the western mountains of Maine?

After a beautiful near calm afternoon getting buffeted by big gusts right now. Davis just had a 36mph gust and the trees are roaring. No station in NNE having any real wind but I guess the cold air advection is rushing in at higher elecations!

Its been noticably more windy here in the past couple hours, too.  I can hear that dull roar too, which means it's probably moving pretty good just off the deck in the hills.  Summit has been gusting 50mph most of the day though.  Maybe we are mixing it down a little better at times now or something.  Definitely doesn't look like the ASOS stations have seen any increase in wind, if anything they've gone down.

Its been noticably more windy here in the past couple hours, too.  I can hear that dull roar too, which means it's probably moving pretty good just off the deck in the hills.  Summit has been gusting 50mph most of the day though.  Maybe we are mixing it down a little better at times now or something.  Definitely doesn't look like the ASOS stations have seen any increase in wind, if anything they've gone down.

Just weird. Powderfreak after 30 minutes of near roaring wind the wind has gone back to 2 or 3mph and the trees are slient. The temperature is still a balmy 44F!

Just weird. Powderfreak after 30 minutes of near roaring wind the wind has gone back to 2 or 3mph and the trees are slient. The temperature is still a balmy 44F!

:lol: same here! Back to still quiet and balmy.

To be honest, I thought the cold would come in quicker today with a more serious temp drop this afternoon.

To be honest, I thought the cold would come in quicker today with a more serious temp drop this afternoon.

Well, Mansfield is down into the 20s F now with NW winds, so cold seems to be on the way.  We’ve had some precipitation down here at the house, but we’re still in the 40s F, so it’s only been rain so far.  No doubt the precipitation coming through is flakes in the higher elevations though:

18NOV13A.gif

Wondering if anybody has a link to some of the more obscure observations/models coming out of BTV.  In particular, the air column soundings (or something like that) that is sometimes referred to.  I have lost my links for much of these.  

Anyway, chilled rain and 42 on the hill in Burlington.  Have to imagine the upper elevations are getting something tonight.

Pouring graupel right now in Stowe. Even accumulating briefly due to the intensity. Still almost 40F out though. Very windy.

Thanks for the heads up PF – I heard quite a racket outside and assumed it was just heavy rain, but I went to look after your comment.  It was pounding graupel with 0.2” down comprised of 0.02” of liquid.  It’s melting back pretty quickly with the temperature still around 40 F, but it puts down at least a little accumulation from this event.  You can see on the radar when those 35 db echoes rolled right into our place on the county line – that’s when the graupel was really pouring down:

18NOV13B.gif

Thanks for the heads up PF – I heard quite a racket outside and assumed it was just heavy rain, but I went to look after your comment.  It was pounding graupel with 0.2” down comprised of 0.02” of liquid.  It’s melting back pretty quickly with the temperature still around 40 F, but it puts down at least a little accumulation from this event.  You can see on the radar when those 35 db echoes rolled right into our place on the county line – that’s when the graupel was really pouring down:

No problem, haha.  Its funny you mentioned hearing a racket outside... that's what first brought me to the door.  I heard something pounding against the sliding glass door to the deck, and sure enough it was wind driven graupel.  If you didn't look outside right then you probably would've missed the 0.2" of accumulation.  I had a brief whitening and then slushy surface on the snow board, but didn't bother trying to measure it.  Might have pulled a tenth or so just based on the size of the graupel (they were probably a tenth or two in diameter themselves).  I applaud your tenacity with the accumulations though; its great to know you are there sampling all the frozen precip that falls in that area of the Spine...and having those records is awesome.  I spend a surprising amount of time on your website looking at past events whenever I am curious about a given outcome from a past storm. 

Temperatures took a drop though and its down to 37F here in Stowe now, so I'm assuming the freezing level just plummeted one or two thousand feet in a short period of time.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.71” L.E.

The graupel from last night’s event had melted back since temperatures were still around 40 F, but the temperature had sunken to the freezing mark by this morning, and additional snow was falling at observations time with a new 0.1” down and areas of the yard whitened.  The funnel in the rain gauge was clogged with snow, but there was 0.05” of liquid inside.  The intensity of the snowfall picked up somewhat as I was heading east toward the center of Waterbury, but it was still fairly hit or miss and generally light.  The northwest flow bringing the snow is quite visible on radar:

19NOV13A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.0 F

Sky: Light Snow

Snow at the stake: Trace

Flurries and windy in Winooski. Still leftovers from our 0.1" overnight, where it drifted to as high as 0.3"

It’s nice to hear that the Champlain Valley has been getting in on the act.  I hadn’t seen anything here in Burlington this morning, but now we’ve had some flakes flying – there’s really a nice stream visible on the radar funneling right into the Winooski Valley, and I’ve got the web cam running and can see the snow falling with another 0.2” down.  It looks like there’s another pulse hitting the Burlington area that should run into the mountains in a bit.

19NOV13B.gif

Archived