SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are doing a seasons pass holder day only on Saturday and then opening on the 23rd.

It's better this way...the locals are getting lots of pow runs in. I haven't heard of any pressure locally to open. It's funny, but this time of year a lot of us are content with the private playground...just ask JSpin or ADK. It's really nice to have a couple weeks to earn your turns on a quiet mountain.

There will be plenty of lift riding coming up...I always really enjoy this time of year though if there's snow down.

Agreed, it’s really a bittersweet situation as the mountain starts to run the lifts.  All week we’ve had a quiet, private, mountain playground loaded with hundreds and hundreds of acres of quality powder snow.  It’s basically the kind of stuff that people pay thousands of dollars to get on a heli skiing vacation, but we’ve got it right here… for free.  It’s tough to want to switch that up for skittering around on a narrow path of icy manmade snow, which is often overcrowded with way too many people and feels like it’s an accident waiting to happen.  They don’t call it the white ribbon of death for nothing.  Oh, and of course there’s the kicker, whether through a season’s pass or day tickets, you actually have to pay for that experience!  Obviously there can be some good times on these early season days as we saw from Winston in the ski thread, but given the alternative…

12NOV13F.jpg

…it’s also not surprising that there hasn’t been much pressure for Stowe to run the lifts.  The good news is that it’s typically a gradual process – while the Fourrunner Quad may run at first, there’s usually some time before the Gondola and all of the Spruce Peak lifts are running, and Bolton typically doesn’t run the lifts until early/mid December.  These partial open periods are actually kind of fun as well though, because if you can time it right to avoid periods of congestion, you can burn the legs with some lift-served runs on the groomed, and then mix in some sidecountry or earn turns for some higher quality snow and a more relaxed experience.

Excellent day up this way... sunshine, warm temps, and snow that has surprising staying power.  There was definitely some QPF that fell in this stuff, and its not melting fast above 1,200ft. 

But what a day for Stowe's Season Pass Appreciation Day... this was no "white ribbon of death" as the skiing this time of year is commonly referred to as.  Open trails were buried from side to side with good, soft snow.  Even a few natural snow trails opened up, which is incredible for November 16th. 

1425729_10151697201647382_1405687296_n.j

1452468_10151697200967382_12348895_n.jpg

1455176_10151697202172382_812169766_n.jp

1461765_10151697200722382_1660437861_n.j

Is the Ski thread or the NNE thread? ;) Just kidding I know it is pretty cool to see those reports. Anyway I am pretty much starting to rule out snow in the valley on Tuesday, but Mountains are of course still in the game. Otherwise we are looking to the end of next week and beyond.

But what a day for Stowe's Season Pass Appreciation Day... this was no "white ribbon of death" as the skiing this time of year is commonly referred to as.  Open trails were buried from side to side with good, soft snow.  Even a few natural snow trails opened up, which is incredible for November 16th.

Nice PF, the snow looks great – certainly not the white ribbon of death to kick things off this season.  When natural snow trails are opening, you know you’re beyond that.  Although we were a bit shy of that 24” mark for snowpack, there were certainly areas in the trees that could be skied on Thursday as I mention in my report, and that speaks to the fact that there’s been a decent shot of liquid in the recent snows.  The Mansfield co-op collected 2.54 inches of liquid during the recent snows, and if that’s from the recessed container on the ridgeline, it’s probably an underrepresentation.  You should take a core sample up at 3,000’ when you get your snow plot going.  We’re down to just traces of snow here in the yard now, but it looks like it’s doing great in the higher elevations.  With the amount of liquid in there, I have to think this is the start of the permanent winter snowpack up high?

Is the Ski thread or the NNE thread? ;) Just kidding I know it is pretty cool to see those reports.

Yeah, sorry about that eyewall, the skiing is really a big part of the winter weather culture up here, and the ski mountains are typically the epicenters of winter weather, so it can be tough to split those apart.  I actually don’t post much in the ski thread, because most of my reports are hybrid weather/mountain/ski reports and with the weather as the focus, I’d rather keep them here in the NNE thread.  Hopefully it’s not too distracting from the rest of the weather conversations.

Nice day in the Whites today. Headed out at about 8am to Lincoln and left on Greely trail to Osceola Mountain with temps in the mid-upper 30s. Most of the hike had temps in the low 40s, could not have asked for a better day in Mid November. One thing that was a bit surprising was the amount of snow on the mountain. When we were driving in along the Kancamagus highway there was a few inches of snow in the shaded areas of the road, so I knew we were in for quite a bit of snow on the mountain. The start (around 2000') had about 1-3"...which continued until about the 2300 to 2700' band where there was a sharp increase in snow depth. There seemed to be at least a foot near the peaks. We hit East Osceola peak and Osceola peak for about an 8 mile round trip hike. Some crappy iphone pics:

Some snow to start the hike

null_zps27b08cb1.jpg

A lot more near the top

null_zps7ac8de9f.jpg

View from Osceola, Mt Washington in the distance

photo_zps6776e4e3.jpg

Can't beat it!

Nice PF, the snow looks great – certainly not the white ribbon of death to kick things off this season.  When natural snow trails are opening, you know you’re beyond that.  Although we were a bit shy of that 24” mark for snowpack, there were certainly areas in the trees that could be skied on Thursday as I mention in my report, and that speaks to the fact that there’s been a decent shot of liquid in the recent snows.  The Mansfield co-op collected 2.54 inches of liquid during the recent snows, and if that’s from the recessed container on the ridgeline, it’s probably an underrepresentation.  You should take a core sample up at 3,000’ when you get your snow plot going.  We’re down to just traces of snow here in the yard now, but it looks like it’s doing great in the higher elevations.  With the amount of liquid in there, I have to think this is the start of the permanent winter snowpack up high?

Yeah, sorry about that eyewall, the skiing is really a big part of the winter weather culture up here, and the ski mountains are typically the epicenters of winter weather, so it can be tough to split those apart.  I actually don’t post much in the ski thread, because most of my reports are hybrid weather/mountain/ski reports and with the weather as the focus, I’d rather keep them here in the NNE thread.  Hopefully it’s not too distracting from the rest of the weather conversations.

No worries at all. I love your reports. I am just kidding with you and being a smart ass LOL.

Nice day in the Whites today. Headed out at about 8am to Lincoln and left on Greely trail to Osceola Mountain with temps in the mid-upper 30s. Most of the hike had temps in the low 40s, could not have asked for a better day in Mid November. One thing that was a bit surprising was the amount of snow on the mountain. When we were driving in along the Kancamagus highway there was a few inches of snow in the shaded areas of the road, so I knew we were in for quite a bit of snow on the mountain. The start (around 2000') had about 1-3"...which continued until about the 2300 to 2700' band where there was a sharp increase in snow depth. There seemed to be at least a foot near the peaks. We hit East Osceola peak and Osceola peak for about an 8 mile round trip hike. Some crappy iphone pics:

A lot more near the top

Can't beat it!

Nice dude!  Great to see a lot of the NNE members getting out and getting after it.  We've got the best natural playground around, take advantage of it, especially if you get to do it while in college.  You never know where life after college will take you.

I definitely think that this is the start of the permanent winter snowpack.  That stuff is pretty stout, though the lower elevations will probably lose it up to the elevation where there's 10" or so on the ground.  I don't think this warm up is enough to take 10" clear off the ground...especially when its not the usual upslope fluff.  This was a big precipitation event up there as you said.  I just really wish we were like 5F colder through the column when that was occurring, as I think both of us ended up with between 0.75-1.0" of QPF during that event.  That was very close to being like a 6-10 inch wet snow event in the mountain valleys...like 3 more degrees and town would've looked like 1,500ft did/does. 

And yes, sorry Eyewall... I know your joking, anyway ;)  I usually just post everything in here too, as like J.Spin said its hard to separate the weather from the skiing and most of our reports are the "hybrid" version.  I think having the ski areas so close to where people live, also make it relevant.  These ski areas are definitely ingrained in the local culture around here, as I'm sure you've seen...its funny because even when snowstorms are coming, the local news will have like two takes on it...they'll say all you skiers and snowboarders and outdoor recreationalists will be happy to know a big snow is coming...and all you who hate driving and shoveling it, you won't be happy.  Haha. 

I definitely think that this is the start of the permanent winter snowpack.  That stuff is pretty stout, though the lower elevations will probably lose it up to the elevation where there's 10" or so on the ground.  I don't think this warm up is enough to take 10" clear off the ground...especially when its not the usual upslope fluff.  This was a big precipitation event up there as you said.  I just really wish we were like 5F colder through the column when that was occurring, as I think both of us ended up with between 0.75-1.0" of QPF during that event.  That was very close to being like a 6-10 inch wet snow event in the mountain valleys...like 3 more degrees and town would've looked like 1,500ft did/does. 

And yes, sorry Eyewall... I know your joking, anyway ;)  I usually just post everything in here too, as like J.Spin said its hard to separate the weather from the skiing and most of our reports are the "hybrid" version.  I think having the ski areas so close to where people live, also make it relevant.  These ski areas are definitely ingrained in the local culture around here, as I'm sure you've seen...its funny because even when snowstorms are coming, the local news will have like two takes on it...they'll say all you skiers and snowboarders and outdoor recreationalists will be happy to know a big snow is coming...and all you who hate driving and shoveling it, you won't be happy.  Haha. 

Hahah yeah and believe me I can't wait to get out for some turns of my own next month :)

null_zps27b08cb1.jpg

A lot more near the top

null_zps7ac8de9f.jpg

photo_zps6776e4e3.jpg

Can't beat it!

Wow, what an amazing day you had! My day today was a tad less amazing, though it was interesting... lol! Details soon to follow of course. As a preview, I was just a lil bit closer to MWN. Wise words by powderfreak - take advantage of our natural playground while you can. Great memories to be made.

I had three options planned for today, depending on the weather. When I got up at 4:00, I checked the MWN hourly obs and saw they had 50 mile visibility. I also checked the higher summits forecast, which called for clouds lowering as the morning went on. I decided to gamble that the visibility would hold, so I went ahead with Plan A - which was going up the Ammonoosuc Ravine to Lakes of the Clouds Hut, then summit Mt Monroe and Little Monroe and continue down the Crawford Path to Mt Franklin and Mt Eisenhower, where I would make my descent and walk something like 3 miles back to my hotrod.

It was foggy at home, but the mountains were clear. I arrived at the Ammonoosuc Ravine trailhead (el. 2500') at 6:30 with the temperature a balmy 37F. Prior to leaving home, I didn't know at what elevation to expect snow, but as I drove through Crawford Notch I noticed patches of snow at the head of the notch, so I had snow from the start but also some muddy patches. I didn't want to put on the microspikes until they were necessary - no need to dull them on rocks if I can help it. The trail is relatively flat until reaching Gem Pool, at which point it goes up in a big hurry. The spikes went on then.

The trail follows Monroe Brook on this ascent. Near treeline at 4200', there is a waterfall that is frozen over in winter, resulting in an amazing display of ice. I wanted to get closer but the brook was open here and wet feet at this point would have been a bad idea.

post-254-0-53839900-1384716745_thumb.jpg

The temperature was below freezing at this point. Just deep deep winter as I trod past treeline.

post-254-0-65619600-1384716785_thumb.jpg

I looked to the left and saw MWN's summit buildings in the clear, but noted that the sky to the east was darkening considerably. By the time I made it to the hut, MWN's summit was in the clouds (to the upper right in the following pic, about 1.5 miles distant from the hut in the lower left)

post-254-0-97898200-1384716802_thumb.jpg

I had hoped to put on my zoom lens while sitting next to the hut (which is closed for the season) to take some closeups of the summit, but that plan was dashed. I went up Mt Monroe (el. 5372') and caught the full effect of the wind. I took out the Kestrel and measured a temp of 28F, a wind of 42mph and a wind chill of 8F. I was fully prepared for hvy hvy winter conditions, so it wasn't too bad. I checked out the rest of my route over Franklin and Eisenhower ... still looked clear. However, the clouds were diving down the lee side of the mountains. An interesting effect as it would appear this picture is taken at an angle but is actually level.

post-254-0-19974500-1384716850_thumb.jpg

It was a bit tedious walking this section. It hadn't received a lot of traffic and in some areas the wind had filled in the trailbed and erased the bootmarks. As I descended Little Monroe, I took a step and sank in up to my waist. I'm not even sure my boot touched bottom, but I managed to extricate myself.

After Little Monroe I headed towards Mt Franklin. On the way I glanced back to Monroe and saw that the clouds had lowered so that its summit was obscured. Looking ahead, I saw that Eisenhower had disappeared and knew it was only a matter of time before I would be walking in the clouds. Soon enough, it was down to 100yd visibility and a drenching drizzle.

post-254-0-19867700-1384716877_thumb.jpg

I decided against summiting Eisenhower as I have seen plenty of gray air in the Presidentials. I made my descent and watched as the snowcover slowly decrease to only patches at the 2000' trailhead. From this point it was a 3 mile walk back to my car. It was 48F at the parking area. It began to rain as I drove through Crawford Notch - I was quite happy to have missed the rain and had a very nice first half of my adventure! :)

Wow, what an amazing day you had! My day today was a tad less amazing, though it was interesting... lol! Details soon to follow of course. As a preview, I was just a lil bit closer to MWN. Wise words by powderfreak - take advantage of our natural playground while you can. Great memories to be made.

I had three options planned for today, depending on the weather. When I got up at 4:00, I checked the MWN hourly obs and saw they had 50 mile visibility. I also checked the higher summits forecast, which called for clouds lowering as the morning went on. I decided to gamble that the visibility would hold, so I went ahead with Plan A - which was going up the Ammonoosuc Ravine to Lakes of the Clouds Hut, then summit Mt Monroe and Little Monroe and continue down the Crawford Path to Mt Franklin and Mt Eisenhower, where I would make my descent and walk something like 3 miles back to my hotrod.

It was foggy at home, but the mountains were clear. I arrived at the Ammonoosuc Ravine trailhead (el. 2500') at 6:30 with the temperature a balmy 37F. Prior to leaving home, I didn't know at what elevation to expect snow, but as I drove through Crawford Notch I noticed patches of snow at the head of the notch, so I had snow from the start but also some muddy patches. I didn't want to put on the microspikes until they were necessary - no need to dull them on rocks if I can help it. The trail is relatively flat until reaching Gem Pool, at which point it goes up in a big hurry. The spikes went on then.

The trail follows Monroe Brook on this ascent. Near treeline at 4200', there is a waterfall that is frozen over in winter, resulting in an amazing display of ice. I wanted to get closer but the brook was open here and wet feet at this point would have been a bad idea.

attachicon.gif2013-11-17 08.02.49-1.jpg

The temperature was below freezing at this point. Just deep deep winter as I trod past treeline.

attachicon.gif2013-11-17 08.09.48-1.jpg

I looked to the left and saw MWN's summit buildings in the clear, but noted that the sky to the east was darkening considerably. By the time I made it to the hut, MWN's summit was in the clouds (to the upper right in the following pic, about 1.5 miles distant from the hut in the lower left)

attachicon.gif2013-11-17 08.44.38-1.jpg

I had hoped to put on my zoom lens while sitting next to the hut (which is closed for the season) to take some closeups of the summit, but that plan was dashed. I went up Mt Monroe (el. 5372') and caught the full effect of the wind. I took out the Kestrel and measured a temp of 28F, a wind of 42mph and a wind chill of 8F. I was fully prepared for hvy hvy winter conditions, so it wasn't too bad. I checked out the rest of my route over Franklin and Eisenhower ... still looked clear. However, the clouds were diving down the lee side of the mountains. An interesting effect as it would appear this picture is taken at an angle but is actually level.

attachicon.gif2013-11-17 08.58.54-1.jpg

It was a bit tedious walking this section. It hadn't received a lot of traffic and in some areas the wind had filled in the trailbed and erased the bootmarks. As I descended Little Monroe, I took a step and sank in up to my waist. I'm not even sure my boot touched bottom, but I managed to extricate myself.

After Little Monroe I headed towards Mt Franklin. On the way I glanced back to Monroe and saw that the clouds had lowered so that its summit was obscured. Looking ahead, I saw that Eisenhower had disappeared and knew it was only a matter of time before I would be walking in the clouds. Soon enough, it was down to 100yd visibility and a drenching drizzle.

attachicon.gif2013-11-17 10.16.18-1.jpg

I decided against summiting Eisenhower as I have seen plenty of gray air in the Presidentials. I made my descent and watched as the snowcover slowly decrease to only patches at the 2000' trailhead. From this point it was a 3 mile walk back to my car. It was 48F at the parking area. It began to rain as I drove through Crawford Notch - I was quite happy to have missed the rain and had a very nice first half of my adventure! :)

Great shots, guys.  Making me jealous!

That waterfall pic is sweet! That looks like an awesome destination in itself.

The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail has a number of interesting features ... Gem Pool, which has emerald-colored water at the foot of a cascade ... a slide of about 600' at a 45° angle that the brook races down ... that waterfall .. and the views looking over the valley from those features (all to be included in a FB album). A very nice trail that I hadn't been on since August '12.

Yeah it was great! Nice pics from your trip too. I went on that trail in September of this year to summit Washington, of course, you had a much more interesting trip, I had balmy conditions (50s and sun). That waterfall pic is sweet.

The NNE crew should try and meet up some time for a hike.

Great report Jayhawk, I especially enjoyed the pictures of the lowering clouds – those situations are so visually striking when you’re there live, and difficult to capture in static images.  You provided excellent weather and hiking details in the narrative as well so that we could really get the feel for the whole trip.

The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail has a number of interesting features ... Gem Pool, which has emerald-colored water at the foot of a cascade ... a slide of about 600' at a 45° angle that the brook races down ... that waterfall .. and the views looking over the valley from those features (all to be included in a FB album). A very nice trail that I hadn't been on since August '12.

Eric, seriously this is book material. Fantastic accounts and pics.

We had gusts to 40 mph or so within 2 hours of the narrow cold frontal rainband (NCFR). When the rainband hit somewhere before 5am (I was up for work), it was a big nothing. Some heavy downpours, but the wind hardly blew at all. Some gusts in the wake of the front are trying to start up again (but nowhere near 40). We will see tonight what happens as secondary front rolls through. Perhaps another burst of snow might occur? It doesn't look all that robust, but something to keep an eye on.

Here's hoping for a decent snow my week in Bretton Woods next week - last year was rough with only a dusting falling in the valleys all week.    Hiked up MTW the day before I had to leave and encountered several inches of snow with brutal winds above timberline.

Ski area opened last Thursday.

Well look at the 12z then. Gonna need a bucket for all that drool.

That one is good, too.  A little quicker than I'd like with the upslope, but would still be a net gain in the mountains with snow to rain back to snow. 

The track of the surface and mid level lows would argue for more of a westerly wind flow through the column as it gets due north of FVE...that would probably end up working well for the eastern side.  From Muccilli's study, the presence of a more northerly wind somewhere in the lower levels seems to be the killer for east of the spine axis, but the track on the GFS would probably avoid that (sorry eyewall). 

12z GGEM is a snowy weekend for all in the NNE thread.  The Maine folks get hit pretty good QPF wise.  Up here it would be a lighter, longer duration system from synoptic and then upslope, while further east it comes down hard and fast. 

Archived