• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

Different story imo in whites. Auto road profile colder ... 30.3 at 4k amd 24 at summit, w radar echos showing upslope n component more favorable for nh upslope precip. Nothing huge atm but i bet mountains are getting white right now, even if its a D-2 in nothern whites

There was a fairly lengthy (about an hour) snow shower on the rockpile in the least few hours. For what it's worth, my grids spit out a dusting into the northern Whites as well.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WCAX claims it was snowing on the Mansfield summit. They had this pic but it was hard to tell if it was actually snow or riming/freezing rain.

I am 99.9% sure that no snowflakes have fallen. That pic looks exactly what I'm looking at right now and it's clear glaze ice.

Radar doesn't show it but it's raining pretty steadily (small droplet sheet rains) up here at 29-31 degrees. BTV picked up on the lack of ice crystals last night, and as usual with these things this time of year, all the precipitation is forming in the low levels from orographics...there is no deep layer lift to tap into colder temps aloft and get ice crystal growth.

As far as I am concerned, we are still waiting for first flakes at the ski resort.

Here's another photo...clear ZR glaze ice.

1229885_10151591754472382_392843558_n.jp

Max of 54.7F here. Off hand I can't remember the last time we had a max this cold near the autumnal equinox with good mixing and sun.

We've had some impressive cold shots this month...the core of the cold has been one-day events, but like a week ago we had afternoon highs in the 40s and again today most spots are struggling to get to even 50F.

Max of 54.7F here. Off hand I can't remember the last time we had a max this cold near the autumnal equinox with good mixing and sun.

We've had some impressive cold shots this month...the core of the cold has been one-day events, but like a week ago we had afternoon highs in the 40s and again today most spots are struggling to get to even 50F.

The coldest sun/CAA day I had since moving here (before today) was the 9/30-10/1 cold shot. The leaf color is really accelerating now.

Max was 53.1F here. Very impressive cool shot. I love weeks like this, a few days of 50s (~60 tomorrow), followed by some moderating 60s-70, then some nice mild 70s by the end of the week. Typical early fall, but should be an awesome weekend to be in the mountains this weekend between the near-peak color and the perfect wx.

First "trace" reported this season by the Mansfield COOP station... however, in discussions with WFO BTV, it seems like they should not have reported a trace.  Freezing rain and ice or rime accumulation technically does not get entered as snowfall; only snow or sleet should be recorded as snowfall. 

Between myself, co-workers on the Toll Road, and members of the Green Mountain Club on the ridgeline... no one could say they saw snowflakes or even sleet.  Just freezing drizzle, mist, and rain... however, I guess it is possible some IP fell at some point.

HYDBTV
DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
531 PM EDT MON SEP 23 2013

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW
24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.19 38 29 32 FOG T 0

First "trace" reported this season by the Mansfield COOP station... however, in discussions with WFO BTV, it seems like they should not have reported a trace.  Freezing rain and ice or rime accumulation technically does not get entered as snowfall; only snow or sleet should be recorded as snowfall. 

Between myself, co-workers on the Toll Road, and members of the Green Mountain Club on the ridgeline... no one could say they saw snowflakes or even sleet.  Just freezing drizzle, mist, and rain... however, I guess it is possible some IP fell at some point.

HYDBTV

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

531 PM EDT MON SEP 23 2013

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.19 38 29 32 FOG T 0

Yeah I am with you Powder. As you said the snow growth zone was not saturated enough

Looks like classic chaff to me.

Yeah...I just looked for the first time tonight and that was my instinct.

The leaves are really starting to turn on my way home on I93. The last couple miles before exit 19 are getting that vibrant look, but that area always seems to turn early. I'm thinking of hitting the Kanc this weekend.

Yeah...I just looked for the first time tonight and that was my instinct.

The leaves are really starting to turn on my way home on I93. The last couple miles before exit 19 are getting that vibrant look, but that area always seems to turn early. I'm thinking of hitting the Kanc this weekend.

What town do you work in?  And same. I will be somewhere between exit 28-33 hiking for sure. Not sure where yet.

Archived