• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

I was wondering about that.  I had expected to be warmer by now.  Still white slop on the ground here in downtown MPV as well.

Yeah, this is what should lead to a flash freeze later....it all seems to crash at once...maybe we mix out the surface cold briefly, but we aren't getting out of the 30s today.

I've been between 33-35F for the past 5 hours, and this isn't a CAD situation, just keeping the SFC track barely to our east. 

BTV is going to have issues later today (the actual city, not NWS) with flash freeze.  I've seen this many times before, where they'll flash over quicker just due to the fact that the cold has absolutely nothing stopping it from pouring south out of Canada down the valley.  Whereas east of the mountains we may be a tick slower in dropping as the surface cold tries to cross the mountains and seep through the cracks in the Spine. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a little over 2" last night before the change to sleet around midnight and plain old rain sometime thereafter.  It was coming down pretty nicely last eve and hung in the upper 20s for longer than I expected.

All a-slop this morning though.

Over an inch of liquid as of 7am with more to add from whatever comes down today/tonight.

Off to CT tomorrow.  I'd rather say home.   :huh:  

I just wanted to thank you all for the feedback on condo/house locations. I'll look at Bolton, but I have to balance out "snow-weenieness" with ease of renting, convenience, all seasons appeal, etc. The truth is - if I were to pick a place to live, I'd pick VT in a heartbeat. But Lincoln is pretty sweet for convenience to Boston, and SO much to do around there. I love driving up the Kanc, walking around Conway, driving up to Mt Washington, and both Loon (when not crowded) and Cannon (anytime!) are pretty decent ski resorts. So, all in all,I think I will stick to looking in that area... for now, until I decide it's time to move for snowier grounds. :)

PS: I never post but you guys are fantastic. It's great to see your reports, and unlike some on here, I'm happy ANYTIME someone is getting snow.

Yeah if you are looking for something to do, Bolton may not be the best place.  Its a great spot though if you happen to live/work in the area and are just looking for a place to do some recreation out your front door and sleep at night.  As was stated before, the Stowe area or Sugarbush/Warren/Waitsfield will have a lot more to do.  I haven't been to Lincoln in years, but I'd assume Stowe is probably in the same touristy league which some people like, others don't.  I obviously don't really mind it... I like having bars to go hang out at with friends after skiing, good restaurants with chefs from the big cities that moved up and started their own places, enough shops and stores to get what you need in daily life without having to drive a half hour, movie theaters, etc. 

Some people though would prefer to have the cabin in the woods for the second home if they are used to having bustle in their lives at their primary residence.  I can totally see that.  But for day to day living, I do enjoy having services right nearby.  If I had a second place it would be a camp way out in the NEK of VT miles from anywhere, but for primary living I couldn't do the hermit thing all the time.

A couple screenshots of the cool windmap(http://hint.fm/wind/)

Thanksgiving wind map new england

Thanksgiving Wind Map vortices

interesting vortex in southern/central New Hampshire forming.  Thought it was worth a look.

And the Southeasterly winds are really cranking through most of Maine.

Good to see the winds coming around.  I really like how this graphic shows it..

A couple screenshots of the cool windmap(http://hint.fm/wind/)

interesting vortex in southern/central New Hampshire forming.  Thought it was worth a look.

And the Southeasterly winds are really cranking through most of Maine.

Good to see the winds coming around.  I really like how this graphic shows it..

Very cool page!!!

I am hoping we get the pack surviving enough to freeze solid to be a sledding base for a fluffy couple of inches.  Bigger hope is that I get hope tonight without sliding off the road for the 3rd time in 5 days.  I managed to slide off into a guardrail on Friday night on the otherside of Ewell pond from your place.  I hope that batch down by NYC to VA hits us as snow tonight but it is gonna be close.  Rain to snow from the looks of it as it is hauling its way up here.

Nice name change.

BTV re-issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the northern upslope zone for tonight...

VTZ003-006-016-017-280900-/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0012.131128T0000Z-131128T1500Z/ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL319 PM EST WED NOV 27 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO10 AM EST THURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THISEVENING TO 10 AM EST THURSDAY.* LOCATIONS...ORLEANS...LAMOILLE...EASTERN FRANKLIN AND EASTERN  CHITTENDEN COUNTIES.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES OF HEAVY DENSE SNOW WITH LOCALLY  HIGHER AMOUNTS ABOVE 1500 FEET.* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO A HALF INCH PER HOUR TONIGHT.* TIMING...RAIN WITH MIX WITH AND CHANGE TO SNOW BETWEEN 6 AND 9  PM IN THE ADVISORY AREA. SNOW WILL GENERALLY TAPER TO FLURRIES  OR SNOW SHOWERS LATER TONIGHT...BUT WILL CONTINUE AT THE HIGHER  ELEVATIONS.* IMPACTS...LOCALLY DIFFICULT TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS.* WINDS...NORTHWEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH...MAINLY  LATER TONIGHT.* TEMPERATURES...LOWS 12 TO 18.* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A HALF MILE AT TIMES TONIGHT.

Event totals: 3.0” Snow/1.25” L.E.

As of 3:00 P.M. the frozen precipitation was back in the form of sleet, and as of 3:30 P.M. it just switched over to snow here at the house.  It looks like there’s precipitation building off to the south, and based on the Intellicast Radar it’s of the snowy variety:

27NOV13C.gif

At 3:00 P.M. when the frozen precipitation began, I squeegeed off the snowboards and emptied the rain gauge – it contained 0.34” of liquid, which was rain that fell since 6:00 A.M. this morning.  That brings the liquid equivalent total for this event to an even 1.25”.  Due to the rain, the snow in the yard has consolidated an inch from earlier this morning and is down to 3 inches.

Details from the 3:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Liquid: 0.34 inches

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Sleet

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

BTV re-issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the northern upslope zone for tonight...

As PF mentioned, BTV stuffed in a Winter Weather Advisory up here in the Northern Greens, on what is now a very colorful advisories map, so that’s a good sign that there’s some potential for accumulating snow:

27NOV13D.jpg

The updated map from this afternoon with projected accumulations is also added below, with the Jay Peak area showing the highest numbers:

27NOV13E.jpg

radar showing 35+ DBz around the Monroe Skyline/Mad River Valley.  Must be getting plastered that way if it's frozen (guessing it's changed there, too).  

point and click shows 6-12" at Smuggs through Thanksgiving.  this thing looks better and better.

Archived