• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

Yeah I heard something happened to the other sensor so this winter we'll have to use the one that freezes up... not stoked on that.  Every time we have rime/snow/ice that thing is going to freeze up.  Ugh.

Speaking of observation equipment, buoy 44007 was exchanged in the last couple of days. We'll finally have full obs off of PWM this winter. I believe the blizzard knocked out the wind data, and the rest crapped out earlier this month.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, not had to stay awake on the drive from Beantown (thank you B's for an OT win) home, winnnnndy, like excuse me sir, didn't mean to cut you off, the wind was moving everyone the whole 200 miles.  Felt bad for the big guys on the road, 55 was maxed out for them.  

Franconia Notch was as usual an amazing mess, 13F at 3:30, blowing snow, a fine mixture of over aggressive and over frightened drivers competing for the single lane.

Glad to be home, dark, desolate, 9F (first single for the season), still dropping, a wicked wind whipped inch here.  Hoping the rink tarp is still there in the morning :)

Happy Turkey day NNE.  finally got ourselves a normal November. Got to go find my ski stuff.

Gust to 126 on the rockpile. -55 wind chill. :shiver:

The last time I volunteered for the Observatory was Feb 2009.  On Sunday the 8th we had a very similar day to today, winds ultimately gusted to 126 mph that day as well. The edutrip was stranded up there as the snowcat turned back due to the conditions.  In this case the sustained 100 came after dark, but earlier in the day when winds were sustained in the 80s gusting to over 100 we all went out on the deck and tried walking/crawling around.  Two of the observers later that night did attempt the Century Club and actually made it, but when they came back in, they realized sustained had dropped down to 95mph!!  For those of you who are members there is an Obscast with video of us out there from that date.  Although I look like I am holding my ground, more than likely I was actually sliding backwards!

post-629-0-55666800-1385339147_thumb.jpg

Yeah I heard something happened to the other sensor so this winter we'll have to use the one that freezes up... not stoked on that.  Every time we have rime/snow/ice that thing is going to freeze up.  Ugh.

Yeah and the placement of the one there right now isn't the greatest either, so it can be partially sheltered from the stronger winds at times.

Cool stuff, hvysnow! ^^^ The highest I dealt with on Washington was 55mph gusts. Of course, traversing the schist boulders in those winds is tricky to say the least.

It was a blast!!!  55 is plenty while hiking for sure!!!  That's the beauty of volunteering or working up there and just walking out and then walking back into all the comforts of home!!!  

I was listening to Roger Hill’s broadcast and just heard that Winter Storm Watches are up for the upcoming midweek storm – I think this is the first one this season:

25NOV13A.jpg

WWUS41 KBTV 250841

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

341 AM EST MON NOV 25 2013

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>012-016>019-252100-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.A.0003.131127T0500Z-131128T0500Z/

NORTHERN ST. LAWRENCE-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CLINTON-

SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-

WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-SOUTHWESTERN ST. LAWRENCE-GRAND ISLE-

WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-

CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-

WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-

EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MASSENA...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH...

STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...

LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...OGDENSBURG...POTSDAM...

GOUVERNEUR...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...NEWPORT...

ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...

MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...

RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...

RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...

KILLINGTON

341 AM EST MON NOV 25 2013

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...THE ENTIRE NORTH COUNTRY

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION 6 INCHES OR MORE IS POSSIBLE...

ALONG WITH A TRACE TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR...MAINLY

WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN TO FALL LATE TUESDAY

NIGHT...CHANGING OVER TO A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...RAIN AND

FREEZING RAIN BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. BY LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

AS COLDER AIR RETURNS TO THE AREA...PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE

BACK TO ALL SNOW WITH THE BEST CHANCES OF ACCUMULATING SNOW

WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH...BECOMING NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH

WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH BY WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...DOWN TO A HALF A MILE AT TIMES IN HEAVIER

SNOWFALL.

Overall it looks like one of these sandwich storms around here with the snow on the front and back ends, with mix/rain in the middle.

Interesting developments viz the midweek winter storm. Looks like a front end/warm front snow (3-5) for wednesday am with then a change over to rain (for the mtns as well) with back-end upslope snows going pretty hard overnight wednseday into thursday. Not in love with the duration of the upslope period.  Given the track - bet Whiteface and the ADK (I know not NNE) do very well. 87 can be the dividing line /tween snow and rain with these tracks. 

Interesting developments viz the midweek winter storm. Looks like a front end/warm front snow (3-5) for wednesday am with then a change over to rain (for the mtns as well) with back-end upslope snows going pretty hard overnight wednseday into thursday. Not in love with the duration of the upslope period.  Given the track - bet Whiteface and the ADK (I know not NNE) do very well. 87 can be the dividing line /tween snow and rain with these tracks.

I thought we were looking at rain during the day Wednesday before changing over in the evening???

Trying to figure out when to drive up from NYC.

I thought we were looking at rain during the day Wednesday before changing over in the evening???

Trying to figure out when to drive up from NYC.

The way it looks to me is some front end frozen Tuesday night, rain on Wed, back to snow Wed night.

That's what I meant. Snow into wed am (early).

Gonna be a lot of rain in the middle...but the flash freeze and upslope could be interesting. I could see about what this last event produced...like 3-6/4-8" on the backside for the ski areas.

Duration sucks for much more. There's really only maybe 6 hours where it looks good, then maybe another 6 hours of -SN/--SN. The big events definitely meet the 12+ hour criteria.

Positives though look like cut-off H85 and H7 lows just north of FVE, and a fairly deep layer cyclonic flow. And the whole deal gets north of FVE, which is the sweet spot. If we can clut off the H5 low, that will slow it down a bit. My first guess would be Froude near 1 or higher with good mixing in the CAA and strong, deep WNW flow.

Gonna be a lot of rain in the middle...but the flash freeze and upslope could be interesting. I could see about what this last event produced...like 3-6/4-8" on the backside for the ski areas.

Duration sucks for much more. There's really only maybe 6 hours where it looks good, then maybe another 6 hours of -SN/--SN. The big events definitely meet the 12+ hour criteria.

Positives though look like cut-off H85 and H7 lows just north of FVE, and a fairly deep layer cyclonic flow. And the whole deal gets north of FVE, which is the sweet spot. If we can clut off the H5 low, that will slow it down a bit. My first guess would be Froude near 1 or higher with good mixing in the CAA and strong, deep WNW flow.

850 rh dries out so fast we need to really slow down the upper level low movement.  I agree we need 8-12hrs+ for real deal upslope snow to fire. Not that 4-6 inches of fluff isn't a good finish. But if you want to really get excited you need to see that upslope pattern last from like 4pm to 8am .

cool.  Thanks guys.  I'm thinking between 10am and 4pm wednesday, will be heavy rain and wind but no frozen.

Sounds about right.

Can't rule out some low level valley icing though. These events can get tricky in sheltered valleys where stale cold air lingers at the surface producing some dangerous conditions.

Archived