• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

We need to get you an upslope expert tag or something (along with Powder). That is a very reasonable analysis and makes a lot of sense. As I said even with my red tag I have a lot to learn about the local weather around here and the impact of the terrain and microclimates.

I believe nittany qualifies for a red tag but has said he likes flying under the radar. I do agree that with JSpin that PF may qualify for the orange tag because of his work at the mountain.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Everyone! It has been awhile since I have posted. Wanted to share some pics from this morning when I drove up to Newark Vermont to see the snow. 1-3" of snow that is! 1.5" near the Newark Fire Dept (My Department) and almost 3" at Newark Pond. 

Was a fun time and had to remember my winter weather driving skills! HAHA

post-7965-0-05338500-1384139114_thumb.jp

post-7965-0-05023400-1384139115_thumb.jp

post-7965-0-00529400-1384139116_thumb.jp

post-7965-0-29116700-1384139117_thumb.jp

post-7965-0-06701800-1384139118_thumb.jp

post-7965-0-57698500-1384139118_thumb.jp

If anything else, this has been an incredibly stable upslope snow band this afternoon and evening.  It hasn't really let up since starting around like 2pm. 

All these radars look the same but this is the 11:00pm loop.  Snowing steadily (not sticking) here while at times I can see stars off to the east, lol.  It is odd to walk outside with the dog, get covered in pelting flakes, while seeing dim stars off in the eastern sky.  Funny thing with these events sometimes, is with 30-40kt winds just aloft, the snowflakes seem to drift a decent bit SE of the echos.  Either that or the radar beam gets above the lower level upslope precipitation.

November_10g.gif

If anything else, this has been an incredibly stable upslope snow band this afternoon and evening.  It hasn't really let up since starting around like 2pm. 

what are the depths above 2500 looking like?

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.74” L.E.

Snow was definitely mixing in last night by around 11:00 P.M. at our location in Waterbury, and by roughly midnight the precipitation was fully over to snow.  The rain gauge had caught 0.21” of liquid up to that point, and with the funnel portion still in place on top, that quickly clogged with wet flakes.  By this morning, 1.1” of snow had fallen, and there is an extremely sharp cutoff with respect to visible accumulations; just a mile or so west of our house in the Bolton Flats area, there’s no snow visible, and I didn’t see anything in the low elevations all the way through to Burlington.  It’s actually bone dry here in town at UVM, and you’d never even know that anything even went down last night.

These transitionary events typically make for challenging precipitation accounting with respect to precipitation type, even if you can be at the equipment at all hours, but depending on the type and amount of snow received, a rain gauge with its funnel in place could actually provide some discrimination for rain to snow events.  As the rain transitions to snow and clogs the funnel, all the snow is captured up top, and then one can use that to determine which portion of the precipitation fell as rain, and which fell as snow.  Unfortunately, there’s still an issue of missing part of the snow catch when using the funnel (relative to a snowboard), so the gauge/snowboard combination and an appropriate level of attention seems to be the most encompassing option.  In this case, the gauge hasn’t been too bad since the snow hasn’t been extremely dry/fluffy; the gauge caught 0.46” of the 0.50” of liquid that fell in the past 24 hours (92%) and 0.64” of the 0.74” that has fallen for the event (86%).

With ¾ of an inch of liquid from this event so far, it’s interesting to wonder what snow amounts would have been derived from it with colder temperatures and upslope-style snow ratios – the mountains should be able to provide a sense of those numbers with their colder temperatures, so it will certainly be fun to see what the word is from the higher elevations.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.29 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.8

Snow Density: 26.4% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

I can assure you we had nothing in Winooski and it dried out overnight. We haven't had our first measurable snow yet and the same goes for BTV. If we don't get lucky and see it overnight tonight it will be a decent wait until possibly late this month.

Measured 0.9" at 7am. The bottom .2 is a layer of frozen pellets.

I'm hoping we can add another coating to an inch with the front this evening...and keep this snow around during the cold snap. A few cold days will be much better with white outside the windows.

I'm heading up to the mountain now, I bet the higher elevations got shellacked last night.

I'm hoping we can add another coating to an inch with the front this evening...and keep this snow around during the cold snap. A few cold days will be much better with white outside the windows.

I'm heading up to the mountain now, I bet the higher elevations got shellacked last night.

yeah up high probably did.  waiting to see what you find.  Coming up from White River last night around 9pm, all of a sudden, we just hit a line around 1400ft (?) near Northfield- just getting slammed.  Temp dropped from ~38 to 34F quickly, and it was just blowing head-on white.

Nope. Nothing to see there.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10151808099359624&comment_id=28271706&offset=0&total_comments=2&notif_t=video_comment_tagged

coating to an inch....I'm thinking 3" tonight. But what do I know.

In BUFKIT the NAM is indicating snow for KBTV beginning around 11pm, but it is a short window as the column really dries out by 1-2am according to this morning's run. This is pretty consistent with the other models as well. It would certainly be nice if we get lucky, but I am not counting on it. It is too bad it will be a nocturnal event. I would have loved to go over to Underhill for this one (or somewhere similar).

12-18" above mid-mountain...average around 14" new snow. Best run I've ever had down the top of Nosedive. Unreal snow.

Was enjoying the snow with a NWS employee, who was also blown away by how much fell, haha.

lunch on, about to pack car.  woohooo!!!

Archived