Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice guys... great to finally get back to making snow obs, haha. 

Precip is starting to pick up here.  Its good that the timing of this looks to be favorable for temperatures in the low levels, despite the southerly flow.  White coating on the cars so far, that's it.  33.2F out there...going to need to wet-bulb or get some steady precip to get any true accumulations.  Hopefully we can get up to a few hours of like 0.05"/hr in the can or more, otherwise accums will be difficult below 1,000ft. 

Nov_12.gif

One thing that I'm really interested in is the effect of the brief low level warming on the upslope snow tonight. Clearly a fair amount of realtively warm and moist air is going to be sucked north into the CPV as temps are expected to rise to over 7C by late morning. The closely trailing cold front and associated shift in winds is going to orographically lift that air ...we know the effect of that.  One thing I think that the models are picking up on and making this all a lot juicer is that influx of warm low level air and extra moisture. 

Personally I think higher terrain from say about now (12z sunday) through 12z tuesday will see about 8 inches of new snow excluding whatever fell overnight.  

The front monday night looks a lot like a front that came through November 30th last year.  The front as it dropped through had converging winds off the great lakes that injected moisture into the frontal zone.  With -10c air overhead that moisture resulted in very fluffy snow for the greens....

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.24” L.E.

It started snowing last evening sometime after 9:00 P.M., and by the time I headed off to bed I’d only seen light snow comprised of small flakes in the 1-3 mm range.  By this morning however, there was an accumulation of wet snow on all surfaces with a temperature a couple of degrees above freezing.  I found a slushy 0.6” on both the elevated and ground-level snowboards, and the snow was comprised of 0.24” of liquid.  I hadn’t put the rain gauge in winter mode since I knew temperatures were going to be marginal, but the funnel was clogged with snow and only a few tenths had trickled down into the inner cylinder.  The snow in the gauge hadn’t even approached overtopping the funnel though, so I melted it all down to see how much liquid had been captured there in total – it was 0.18”, only 75% of the liquid that had been captured by the snowboards.  It was another great example of why to catch snow on snowboards whenever possible.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.24 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.5

Snow Density: 40.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.2 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Archived