Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record lows this morning...from BTV Facebook:

"We broke some low temperature records this morning in a few spots...a rarity these days! Burlington fell to 20 F, Montpelier 14 F, and Massena, NY 18 F, all records. With strong high pressure remaining overhead tonight, chilly temperatures are once again expected. Lows mainly 12-22 F, though locally milder near the Lake Champlain shore, and colder in favored northern mountain hollows. See accompanying map for forecast low temperatures in your general area."

1385438_559376667467572_1163781759_n.png

Nice!   We'll be holding till later this week for snowmaking, after the mid-week warm up and rainfall.  I'm excited to see what the new booster pumphouse on the Mansfield side of the mountain will do.  Pretty much doubles the number of guns we can run at a time on the upper half of the mountain without starving the system for water.

So much for waiting until later in the week :)

First max in the 30s this year here...38.8F.

Wow, you were cooler than me. My high was 40.2F after a low of 21.4F which was my coldest reading of the fall.

My pond is incredibly low for this time of year and streams are barely running. I am kind of glad we are in a dry and boring pattern now. Might as well get it over before the real winter months set in. It was also interesting to see none of the wind turbines spinning at all in Plymouth this morning. Have never seen that. High pressure was probably passing right over.

Wow, you were cooler than me. My high was 40.2F after a low of 21.4F which was my coldest reading of the fall.

My pond is incredibly low for this time of year and streams are barely running. I am kind of glad we are in a dry and boring pattern now. Might as well get it over before the real winter months set in. It was also interesting to see none of the wind turbines spinning at all in Plymouth this morning. Have never seen that. High pressure was probably passing right over.

Wow--even I beat you down here.

I topped at 36.8 (off a low of 23.5).

Now at 31.4/15

Found this a few moments ago:

SXUS71 KGYX 051241
RERCON

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
740 AM EST TUE NOV 05 2013

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE WAS NOT SET AT CONCORD NH...

A LOW TEMPERATURE OF 16 DEGREES OCCURRED AT CONCORD NH YESTERDAY.
THIS FELL ONE DEGREE SHORT OF THE RECORD LOW FOR NOVEMBER 4TH WHICH
IS 15 DEGREES SET IN 1891.

$$

SJC

Found this a few moments ago:

SXUS71 KGYX 051241

RERCON

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

740 AM EST TUE NOV 05 2013

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE WAS NOT SET AT CONCORD NH...

A LOW TEMPERATURE OF 16 DEGREES OCCURRED AT CONCORD NH YESTERDAY.

THIS FELL ONE DEGREE SHORT OF THE RECORD LOW FOR NOVEMBER 4TH WHICH

IS 15 DEGREES SET IN 1891.

$$

SJC

Judging by the year I'm guessing it's a pre threadex issue.

This was posted by snowman21 in the main thread, but should share it here too.  This is very noteworthy...ironically, it happened at a very similar time last year with departures of -10 to -15 last year on November 6-7th. 

A quick recap of the two days of below normal across New England and eastern New York...

ID SUN-03 MON-04 AVERAGE
--- ------ ------ -------
MPV -13 -15 -14
MVL -11 -13 -12
1V4 -11 -12 -12
BTV -11 -12 -12
DDH -10 -13 -12
CON - 9 -13 -11
ALB - 8 -13 -11
GFL - 9 -12 -11
PBG - 8 -11 -10
PSF - 8 -11 -10
BDL - 6 -12 - 9
VSF - 8 -10 - 9
BGR - 7 -10 - 9
LGA - 5 -12 - 9
ORH - 6 -11 - 9
POU - 6 -11 - 9
GYX - 6 -10 - 8
NYC - 6 -10 - 8
BDR - 5 -10 - 8
BOS - 4 -11 - 8
HUL - 6 - 9 - 8
PVD - 4 -11 - 8
PWM - 4 -11 - 8
FVE - 6 - 7 - 7
CAR - 6 - 6 - 6
ISP - 4 - 8 - 6
MLT - 5 - 7 - 6

Judging by the year I'm guessing it's a pre threadex issue.

This is weird. At least the second non-record record the climate program has hit on. We shouldn't have to keep sending out these "record was not set" RERs.

As an aside, two nights ago the leftover puddles froze. That ice survived the entire day yesterday. Not sure how I feel about that.

This is weird. At least the second non-record record the climate program has hit on. We shouldn't have to keep sending out these "record was not set" RERs.

As an aside, two nights ago the leftover puddles froze. That ice survived the entire day yesterday. Not sure how I feel about that.

that was the case in shaded areas in Cambridge, MA as well. impressive

This was posted by snowman21 in the main thread, but should share it here too.  This is very noteworthy...ironically, it happened at a very similar time last year with departures of -10 to -15 last year on November 6-7th. 

Was actually modeled fairly well. Guidance didn't exactly bite on the temps, but there was a great agreement on a 1040ish high settling into New Brunswick with the surface ridge axis extended back through New England by 12z today. I mean if that's not a classic radiational cooling signal I don't know what is.

Was actually modeled fairly well. Guidance didn't exactly bite on the temps, but there was a great agreement on a 1040ish high settling into New Brunswick with the surface ridge axis extended back through New England by 12z today. I mean if that's not a classic radiational cooling signal I don't know what is.

The cold for us in New England almost always over performs guidance when the high center passes north of us in Quebec (as long as its not too far north) versus when we get a cold shot from the west and high pressure dives through the lakes and exits the Mid-Atlantic...those are often when guidance is a little too cold.

This one was pretty classic going through Quebec and then eastward....next week looks like we could get another ideal cold drain setup for the region.

The cold for us in New England almost always over performs guidance when the high center passes north of us in Quebec (as long as its not too far north) versus when we get a cold shot from the west and high pressure dives through the lakes and exits the Mid-Atlantic...those are often when guidance is a little too cold.

This one was pretty classic going through Quebec and then eastward....next week looks like we could get another ideal cold drain setup for the region.

Yeah that high just north of the border looks to be in a near-perfect position for really cold nights with H85 temps of -10C up here early next week.  As usual with departures, we did it all because of the overnight lows.  Some of those were like -15 to -18 for two nights in a row...when normal is low 30s and actual ends up being mid-teens, that's nice.  We don't get the radiational cooling with that airmass and its just another -5 type cold shot.

Archived