Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now would be a great time for upslope snow with a froude at 0.15 . As it stands it is going to to be tough to get a flake down to the valley floor tonight. NWS BTV has cut back in their afternoon update on that as well. They haven't fully update their discussion at last check so it will be interesting to see their reasoning.

An unseasonably warm day with sun and light winds ... yup, I will take my kids to the Whites for that. We went to South Moat, which overlooks North Conway, NH to the west. At 2,770' high it was the tallest mountain yet for my kids, and also the longest at 5.4 miles round-trip. A beautiful day with ample sun, summit temp of 57F and winds of 10mph and less. We played for about an hour on the open summit. Lots of fun! Clouds on our descent made us hustle down for fear of rain, but that proved to be false. A wonderful day to spend in the mountains! :)

post-254-0-16574100-1383427414_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-71304900-1383427435_thumb.jpg

An unseasonably warm day with sun and light winds ... yup, I will take my kids to the Whites for that. We went to South Moat, which overlooks North Conway, NH to the west. At 2,770' high it was the tallest mountain yet for my kids, and also the longest at 5.4 miles round-trip. A beautiful day with ample sun, summit temp of 57F and winds of 10mph and less. We played for about an hour on the open summit. Lots of fun! Clouds on our descent made us hustle down for fear of rain, but that proved to be false. A wonderful day to spend in the mountains! :)

attachicon.gif2013-11-02 12.51.16-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-11-02 12.55.55-1.jpg

fantastic man, kids will never forget these days with Dad

It'll be interesting to see if you flip. So far it's only SLK with -SN...even MSS way out west in northern NY is still -RN.

I am not counting on it right now, but you will certainly know if it does. As Ocean said it will be tough with a 35F dewpoint. That would certainly need to come down a bit.

40f here but definitely some flakes mixing in with the light rain.

I just drove up the road and it's all snow at 1200ft and higher. Nice steady snow at the ski area but no accums at least up to 1500ft.

We are mixing with catpaws even down under 1000ft, though the temp is still only 37F down here. Car showed 34F up at the snow line.

rollercoaster finally bottomed out at 21F this morning.

good morning

IMG_3418.jpg

Nice border, beautiful vista, it’s great to have the snow back; I’ve also been seeing it on some of the web cams from around the area.

I took a look at the latest runs of the GFS and ECMWF, and they seem to be in general agreement on the next couple of opportunities for snow – looks like another storm similar to this last one toward the end of the week, and then the flow appears to flatten and there’s something a bit more like last weekend.  That’s almost a week away, but anything resembling last weekend would be nice from a skier’s perspective.

These next couple of days and nights look pretty awesome for snowmaking for any other resorts that want to get things going sufficiently to ride the early November roller coaster the way Killington has.

Top of Lincoln peak was decorated in white this morning. Snow making ongoing

Nice!   We'll be holding till later this week for snowmaking, after the mid-week warm up and rainfall.  I'm excited to see what the new booster pumphouse on the Mansfield side of the mountain will do.  Pretty much doubles the number of guns we can run at a time on the upper half of the mountain without starving the system for water.

Quite a bit of difference in 24 hours and 2,000' of elevation. Yesterday's jaunt on sub-3000' South Moat featured temps in the upper 50s. But I knew today would be much different.

I'd been trying to get over to West Bond for a while now, but always had plans dashed for various reasons (fog, rain). But forecast sunny skies, temps around 20F and winds below tropical storm force made it a 'go' to try again. With the days getting very short now, I was at the trailhead at 5:30am. It was 28° and I saw a coating of snow on a couple vehicles that had been parked overnight. Headlamp used for the first 40 minutes. There was a bit of snow on the tree branches, but nothing on the ground. That changed as I gained a bit of elevation. Never a great deal of snow - probably less than an inch - but it did coat the trees pretty well.

First pic is of a waterfall on Twinway Trail.

post-254-0-64849800-1383512486_thumb.jpg

I arrived at the spectacular Zeacliff outlook ... but clouds made it a touch less than spectacular. On my return four hours later, though, it was crystal clear.

post-254-0-57723300-1383512507_thumb.jpg

Moving along, the fog lifted a short time before I reached treeline. When I popped out, the Franconia Range greeted me in all its glory.

post-254-0-92347700-1383512527_thumb.jpg

I went over to 4580' Mt Guyot (seen on the left below) and took a quick measurement. 13F, 29mph wind gust, -9F windchill. Needless to say, I didn't stand in one place long while above treeline!

post-254-0-10746900-1383512549_thumb.jpg

I continued over to West Bond. It had not snowed on West Bond, which was kinda nice as the snowy rocks made travel slower than usual. My phone literally froze around this point, so alas no pics from West Bond or the return. At any rate, a wonderful day (if a bit brisk) for a stroll through the Whites :)

Archived