Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats? :bag:

I don't win with radiational cooling so I need to pick battles I can win. ;) I actually like these wedge days this time of year. If it's going to be cloudy and rainy it may as well be miserable in every facet. I missed that weenie cold spot in E-C NH on the ME border before I posted though...quite a few U30s there.

I don't win with radiational cooling so I need to pick battles I can win. ;) I actually like these wedge days this time of year. If it's going to be cloudy and rainy it may as well be miserable in every facet. I missed that weenie cold spot in E-C NH on the ME border before I posted though...quite a few U30s there.

Your area for CAD is remarkable. That's not a bad thing to excel at...heavy heavy snow preservation when we've got white stuff.

This is when I become envious. A contractor friend just bought a place in Madison NH to renovate. I told him to prepare for a long winter...lol.

would love to be up here tomorrow for mount washington

Today:

In and out of the clouds under mostly cloudy skies early, becoming in the clouds w/ rain, mainly later. Wind chills 15-25 degrees.

Highs: Upper 30s°F

Wind: W shifting SW 30-45 mph increasing to 55-75 mph w/ higher gusts

Tonight:

In the clouds w/ rain, possibly heavy at times. Wind chills 20-30 degrees.

Lows: Rising to around 40°F

Wind: SW 65-85 mph increasing to 90-110 mph w/ higher gusts

Tomorrow:

In the clouds w/ rain, mainly early, and possibly heavy at times. Wind chills 15-25 degrees.

Highs: Falling into upper 30s°F

Wind: W 90-110 mph w/ higher gusts

IZG FTW!

Interesting precip spread today but pretty classic too...strong SW flow downsloping into the Champlain Valley in the vicinity of BTV, then precip comes on heavily again from the Spine and east. We've been raining a steady 0.1/hr for 3-4 hours and BTV is only reporting clouds at this point.

Yeah we have seen off and on rains in Winooski, but the winds have already gusted to around 35 today. It is a little nasty for the trick or treaters.

Yeah we have seen off and on rains in Winooski, but the winds have already gusted to around 35 today. It is a little nasty for the trick or treaters.

You will see far higher winds than I will...if experience serves me right, here in the lower east slope elevations we'll be protected under a surface inversion. I've seen many wind advisories lead to 5-10mph gusts here in town, but from 1500ft and up it's ripping. Now, NW winds are a different story, but southerly direction wind advisories don't seem to pan out locally. But it's all about knowing your local climate and what to expect in certain situations.

You will see far higher winds than I will...if experience serves me right, here in the lower east slope elevations we'll be protected under a surface inversion. I've seen many wind advisories lead to 5-10mph gusts here in town, but from 1500ft and up it's ripping. Now, NW winds are a different story, but southerly direction wind advisories don't seem to pan out locally. But it's all about knowing your local climate and what to expect in certain situations.

NW you get the downslope assist. Similar to how the rain shadowed areas of the Whites can roar on a strong SE LLJ.

NW you get the downslope assist. Similar to how the rain shadowed areas of the Whites can roar on a strong SE LLJ.

Yeah it depends on the event and Froude numbers and stuff like that.  Its interesting that we can get the downslope assist with wind, but precipitation can still be robust on NW flow (I sometimes chalk that up to precipitation forming over the Spine, getting blown the 3 miles downwind into the lower elevations of town).  Sometimes the two go hand in hand (downslope wind and drying precip) but other times we'll still be snowing/precipitating hard while those strong winds move down the lee (east) side of the Spine.  The shadowing seems more pronounced on SE flow for whatever reason... when I lived in Jonesville (low elevation, western slope location), anytime there was a SE flow at H85, we'd get some huge winds and next to no precip, lol.  It would be snowing 1"/hr at J.Spin's place a few miles away but on the eastern side of the Spine axis, while I was looking at patches of blue sky and huge downslope winds. 

I love new toys. Just found out about this website that displays some of my favorite ensemble data (anomalies and percentiles).

post-44-0-04164300-1383259137_thumb.png

This is the NAEFS forecast for 12z tomorrow. The shading indicates percentile based on climatology (21 days centered at 00z on the date of the map). Climatologically speaking, these types of winds at 850 mb are maxed out or have never been experienced over a large portion of the region this time of year (basically everything in red).

I love new toys. Just found out about this website that displays some of my favorite ensemble data (anomalies and percentiles).

attachicon.gif10-31-2013 6-37-26 PM.png

This is the NAEFS forecast for 12z tomorrow. The shading indicates percentile based on climatology (21 days centered at 00z on the date of the map). Climatologically speaking, these types of winds at 850 mb are maxed out or have never been experienced over a large portion of the region this time of year (basically everything in red).

Impressive... what's the scale of the percentiles on that?

It might be one of those experimental things that's not ready for public release yet. There isn't much regarding model data that we don't allow free use of though.

I saw some new satellite products being tested. The idea sounds awesome regarding fog imagery, but I think WFOs over on the west coast and Hawaii are testing it.

Archived