• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

That's all I see now when I look at the evergreens around here.

Drove through it on my way home. Partly sunny, warm, and breezy at CON and then I hit the OVC BR around Canterbury. I'm seeing some breaks aloft at home now though and we've shot up a few degrees in 5 minutes. 66/66

It did look more noticeable after Brian mentioned it the other day. I used to remember drifts of needles at my parents house because of all the pine shedding on certain years so perhaps some years are worse than others? But I would think it also has to do with some sort of natural phenomenon too...IE fungus.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen them so brown. I wonder if it's the recent dryness or if they've all acquired some rampant fungal disease from the wet Summer.

Something like that may be exacerbating the brown look, though 2009 was much rainier - at least in terms of duration of precip if not amount - and the Oct pines looked "normal" that year.  White pines lose about half their needles each fall, and they generally come down over a relatively short period.  The needles grown during one spring-summer are cast in the fall of the following year.  I'm sure the Maine Forest Service (and all such agencies where white pine is common) are fielding plenty of "Why are my pines dying?" calls. 

The hard pines, red, pitch and jack pine in NNE, tend to carry most needles into a 3rd growing season and the needles fall over a somewhat longer and less dramatic period, with a less noticeable browning. 

Drove through it on my way home. Partly sunny, warm, and breezy at CON and then I hit the OVC BR around Canterbury. I'm seeing some breaks aloft at home now though and we've shot up a few degrees in 5 minutes. 66/66

This warm front just cost me $155!!! Went down to Concord to see the IMAX 3D of Gravity. Special effects were awesome. Anyhow movie got out around 2pm and it was mostly sunny and warm in Concord while according to my webcam socked in and cool at my house 40 miles north. We proceeded up Rt 93 slowly catching up to the warm front. I get off at Exit 23. At exit 22 I could see the fog and low clouds moving north as we were catching up to it. Now my partner is driving and he is a slow driver. I said lets punch this thing before it moves north of us. He reluctantly accelerated to 77mph and within a mile past a State Trooper. Trooper pulled us over and I admitted it was my fault I asked my partner to speed up to catch a warm front. Me and my big mouth. Idiot!! Trooper was not amused at all and we got a $155 ticket for 77mph on Rt 93. My partner is giving me all kinds of crap, its like his 2nd ticket in his life. Anyhow we did catch the front about 5 miles south of my house and the air went calm with murky conditions, 15F cooler than Concord. Within 10 minutes of being home the temp shot up 10F and the clouds broke.

Awaiting squall line now, just to my west!

This warm front just cost me $155!!! Went down to Concord to see the IMAX 3D of Gravity. Special effects were awesome. Anyhow movie got out around 2pm and it was mostly sunny and warm in Concord while according to my webcam socked in and cool at my house 40 miles north. We proceeded up Rt 93 slowly catching up to the warm front. I get off at Exit 23. At exit 22 I could see the fog and low clouds moving north as we were catching up to it. Now my partner is driving and he is a slow driver. I said lets punch this thing before it moves north of us. He reluctantly accelerated to 77mph and within a mile past a State Trooper. Trooper pulled us over and I admitted it was my fault I asked my partner to speed up to catch a warm front. Me and my big mouth. Idiot!! Trooper was not amused at all and we got a $155 ticket for 77mph on Rt 93. My partner is giving me all kinds of crap, its like his 2nd ticket in his life. Anyhow we did catch the front about 5 miles south of my house and the air went calm with murky conditions, 15F cooler than Concord. Within 10 minutes of being home the temp shot up 10F and the clouds broke.

you know you are a :weenie: when:

:thumbsup:

Why were you chasing the warm front? Were you hoping for a cell to cross it for a spinup? Anyway a good rule of thumb is don't pass a state trooper if at all possible :).

0.74" rainfall, 41 mph gust when the front plowed on thru here last night

0.51" for the whole event, but only 0.15" came after 6 last evening, and the peak wind/rain from the front came about 8.  Except for the few oaks and aspens which retain maybe half their leaves, the deciduous trees have all "decidued".

0.51" for the whole event, but only 0.15" came after 6 last evening, and the peak wind/rain from the front came about 8.  Except for the few oaks and aspens which retain maybe half their leaves, the deciduous trees have all "decidued".

My red oaks hold most of their leaves thru out the winter

Tonight's forecast lows.... dews have fallen to near freezing (33F locally) today and Mansfield summit hit 32F earlier today.  Pretty good indicator to me that we'll be near freezing by morning with optimal radiational cooling conditions.  For whatever reason, when we have good radiational cooling, we tend to fall very close to low temps at Mansfield summit provided there's no airmass change (like warming SW flow at H85).

I expect to be waiting longer for my first 32F. Maybe as we get near the 20th I'll be able to pull it off. It's going to be late in the season for that achievement. It's sorta crap luck after having the chilly September. CON will end up beating me to the first 32F by over a month. lol

I expect to be waiting longer for my first 32F. Maybe as we get near the 20th I'll be able to pull it off. It's going to be late in the season for that achievement. It's sorta crap luck after having the chilly September. CON will end up beating me to the first 32F by over a month. lol

So far, the average high temp in October is less than 1 degree colder than the average high for the entire month of September...

September average high: 69.3F

October average high so far: 68.5F

That September average high includes four 80F+ days and one 90F day, too! 

Why were you chasing the warm front? Were you hoping for a cell to cross it for a spinup? Anyway a good rule of thumb is don't pass a state trooper if at all possible :).

Eyewall, Im a definite weenie. As I drove north with mostly sunny skies I could see the low clouds hanging low in the hills right in front of me. You could see them eroding and moving north as I drove. I thought it would be fun to got from 74F to 57F and murk just to get home at my elevation and watch the calm wind go strong SW as the front caught up to me. Just stupid, but I didn't think 77mph would get me a ticket. I had to go back down there today and was watching the average speeds in the high speed lane and it was around that amount. Glad I was just chasing a warm front and not a supercell, that would really have made me angry.

off a webcam from mount washingtons website you can see it to the left a bit if it doesnt update quickly

http://mountwashington.org/weather/cam/jackson/

About a half hour ago it was as vivid as I've ever seen. Acid trip at GYX...

Moving vibrant green curtains, tall pillars, red glow with the naked eye. I'm actually pretty blown away.

Archived