Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow looks interesting, especially Champlain Valley westward, but even into the Greens. Strong south winds pushing 40-50 mph of non-convective winds, followed by a convective fine line late in the afternoon. Could see Wind Advisory criteria out of ahead of the line and then maybe a few severe gusts with the line itself.

Tomorrow looks interesting, especially Champlain Valley westward, but even into the Greens. Strong south winds pushing 40-50 mph of non-convective winds, followed by a convective fine line late in the afternoon. Could see Wind Advisory criteria out of ahead of the line and then maybe a few severe gusts with the line itself.

Nice...something semi-interesting. Rain and wind should bring those leaves down quickly.

Bare above 1500-1700ft right now with the only real remaining foliage in the 700-1500ft band in Stowe. When you are at the ski resort base at 1550ft and look up right now, it looks like November.

Photo from 800ft looking up to that hilltop at 2,200ft. As you get above that 1500ft mid-slope elevation the foliage is all on the ground. As you can imagine, on the terrain above 2,000ft like up the road on Mansfield, it's about as bland a landscape as you can get.

post-352-0-71815200-1381087322.jpg

Nice...something semi-interesting. Rain and wind should bring those leaves down quickly.

Bare above 1500-1700ft right now with the only real remaining foliage in the 700-1500ft band in Stowe. When you are at the ski resort base at 1550ft and look up right now, it looks like November. A very bland landscape above the foliage line.

Photo from 800ft looking up to that hilltop at 2,200ft. As you get above that 1500ft mid-slope elevation the foliage is all on the ground.

post-352-0-71815200-1381087322.jpg

Ah wow, huge change from when I was there a few days ago. Fall is too short in NNE!

Ah wow, huge change from when I was there a few days ago. Fall is too short in NNE!

Yeah it feels like 48 hours ago this was all beautiful color to the top of this hill. It's raining leaves everywhere though...any wind will put all this down in like a day. I'll post another from this same spot on like Tue or Wed to compare.

Just look now at the webcams at the base of Mansfield and you can't see any color. It's raining and foggy, but check tomorrow...it really looks like November all the sudden up there. Dead forest awaiting snow.

Yeah if we can get any sun tomorrow to enhance mixing and instability, it will be interesting.

Mondays I usually end up spending the day at 3,600ft top of the Gondola, hoping for some decent wind to make it interesting. Unfortunately we are sort or protected by the ridgeline in some SW flow type deals, but if it's more southerly we can rock the boat.

I like 50-60kt low level jets, haha.

"Short term /8 am Monday morning through Tuesday night/... as of 354 PM EDT Sunday...the cold front will begin to spread precipitation into the slv from the west in the late morning/early afternoon on Monday. Low level jet persists into the afternoon with 50-60kts ahead of attending cold front. Instability lacking with generally less than 100j/kg of cape...but plenty of shear over the area from the strong low level jet. With precipitable waters over 1.6 inches possible...have included slight chance and chance for ts and heavy rain. Expect front to bring precipitation to cpv by midday with mesoscale models showing fine line of strong showers/ts possible. Ahead of the front...temperatures will peak into the l70s in the valleys. "

Last weekend during my hike of the Baldfaces, I looked towards the east and contemplated a set of cliffs I saw in the distance and thought the views must be outstanding from them. But were there trails there? A look at the White Mountain trail map confirmed it. So with foliage just past prime but still decent (ans a cloudy day threatening to fog out the higher summits), I plotted a course that would take me through Miles Notch then up to the ridge of the Speckled Mountain range. It was a route of 14.7 miles and had excellent viewpoints at a few locations.

I was at the trailhead at 6:45 - just as it became light enough to go without a headlamp. The trails I used are lightly-traveled and sparsely-blazed and the fallen leaves on the footbed obscured any hint of trail. In fact, I lost the trail three times and was forced to backtrack and try again. Fortunately somebody tied fluorescent orange ribbon on branches here and there. Without those I would have had to turn back. The cliffs of Miles Notch were impressive, though the view was very restricted. However, once atop the ridge I came to the cliffs of Red Rock Mountain, which afforded a magnificent view to the south.

post-254-0-51735900-1381094950_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-68054800-1381094975_thumb.jpg

From here it was about a 4 mile forest walk over Butters and Durgin Mountains with restricted views that didn't warrant the effort of taking a picture. But just below the summit of Speckled Mountain I was treated to a terrific view to the east from a bare ledgy area. It was a short jaunt to the summit which gave a great view of Evans Notch to the north. Mount Washington was visible and I noted that it along with the Wildcat Range and Carter Range in front of it were struggling with cloudy summits.

post-254-0-35943000-1381095000_thumb.jpg

The temperature on the summit was a brisk 47°. Thankfully there was little breeze. Making my way down the summit I went through a series of scenic ledges that had excellent views to the south and west. I had a very nice look at the Baldfaces - last week's adventure.

post-254-0-04773200-1381095022_thumb.jpg

My descent had more drama than I care for. My exit trail went through an area of logging activity and all signs of the trail disappeared. I followed the logging road for a few tenths of a mile and then decided I might be on a road to nowhere, so I consulted my guide book and found that a trail I had just left the junction for wound up on a road not terribly far from where I had parked. I decided to backtrack to that trail but took a wrong branch of the logging road and was essentially lost. Not a good feeling! It took about 30 minutes of searching but I did finally get to the trail. And for all of that trouble I was treated to a 3.5 mile roadwalk. Thankfully the rain held off, not a bad day in the mountains of western Maine :)

That second photo is sick...looks like there are more leaves still on the trees over there though if that was today. We look nothing like that anymore. It's bare and yellow/orange. The reds have sort of diminished or fallen off, and we are left with lots of orange mixed with leafless trees.

Also met a few folks today coming from Jackson, NH that said the foliage viewing was better over there because most of the trees still had leaves...they said it's further along in leaf drop over here.

I'm bummed at how fast it went this year. It was like a week of great color and then boom they are all on the ground.

That second photo is sick...looks like there are more leaves still on the trees over there though if that was today. We look nothing like that anymore. It's bare and yellow/orange. The reds have sort of diminished or fallen off, and we are left with lots of orange mixed with leafless trees.

Also met a few folks today coming from Jackson, NH that said the foliage viewing was better over there because most of the trees still had leaves...they said it's further along in leaf drop over here.

I'm bummed at how fast it went this year. It was like a week of great color and then boom they are all on the ground.

Yup, that was today .. around 9:00 this morning. I'm surprised the foliage is still as strong as it shows there - on the trail it seems to be a crapload of yellow with most of the brilliant red maple leaves cluttering the trail bed. I noticed the same thing last week - was hoping to get some dynamic up-close foliage pics but if it ain't there ...

I wonder if VT just has more of those maples that change and drop. That's definitely part of it. Foliage over in the whites was beautiful at valley floor to about 2,000ft or so...at least as far as I could see. Above that, it's conifers.

That could be it...our climate isn't all that different from the Whites aside from the upslope component but it's not like its colder here on average or something. There's gotta be something else in play.

And over here our conifers don't really take over until you are up at 3500ft or higher...we have hardwoods and mixed forest pretty high up relative to the Adirondacks and Whites which seem to go to impenetrable spruce at a lower elevation.

How are the winds up there? I am away until late on the 15th. I am sure the trees will mostly be defoliated by then. As note when I hiked to sunset ledge before I left the birches were already bare at about 3,000ft or so (or just under). Sunset Ledge is on the Long Trail near Lincoln Gap.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 544 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NHC001-003-005-007-009-011-013-019-080200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0544.131007T1855Z-131008T0200Z/

NH
. NEW HAMPSHIRE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BELKNAP CARROLL CHESHIRE
COOS GRAFTON HILLSBOROUGH
MERRIMACK SULLIVAN
$

Warm front draped right across the southern half of the state now.

Drove through it on my way home. Partly sunny, warm, and breezy at CON and then I hit the OVC BR around Canterbury. I'm seeing some breaks aloft at home now though and we've shot up a few degrees in 5 minutes. 66/66

Archived