Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The foliage exploded around here overnight. I'd guesstimate that we are into high color now. This weekend will probably be peak.

I talked to some folks who came to the ski resort today and they said everything from like Concord northward on 89/93 was pretty much near peak with the higher spots definitely at peak. They said it was pretty consistent too.

I talked to some folks who came to the ski resort today and they said everything from like Concord northward on 89/93 was pretty much near peak with the higher spots definitely at peak. They said it was pretty consistent too.

Yeah...the overnight burst of color really pushed the consistency up there. The oaks are getting some vibrance now to add to the maples. There's some leaf drop with the sugar maples and birches that got an early start, but overall it's NBD.

The foliage is more vibrant than my pics show - simply a matter of camera operator inexperience.  It looked like those sponge-paint pieces of artwork you make for second-grade art class.

Hey all,

took some pics, thought of you all. 

I hear that. It is always a treat to be up high looking down.  This is the best season. The reason its hard to live anywhere else.

nice pictures everyone.

Valley mornin fog season.

64477188-d5e4-41e1-9d63-730fc14885bb.jpg

bd710639-af63-468f-9e24-08859e7066db.jpg

sorry its so big.  just a good time of year to stare at trees.

52615c90-c06a-4ccb-a83a-1e3be0660f3a.jpg

Living the good life PF

Our thermometer broke last year, figured no one really wanted to hear how cold it was/wasn't by me describing how the subie's car seat felt in the AM :) and life has just been busy, in good ways

jz- loosen up your hips so your pelvis can roll around more, it will take the strain off the lateral knee a bit

Stealing dendrite's format...

Sep 2013 is in the books here.

Averages

Max 66.33

Min 44.77

Mean 55.55  (My anal two-decimal listing is only for this symmetrical value.)

HiMax: 85 (11th)

LoMin: 30 (17th)

LoMax: 53 (24th)

HiMin: 64 (1st)

Precip: 4.89"

MaxDay: 2.07" (2nd)

Thunder: 11th, 12th  (Two thunder days is the most I've recorded in Sept, albeit in 5 separate years.

Avg temp was -0.93F compared to my avg 1998-on.  11th mildest of 16 Septembers.

(Farmington COOP for 1998-2012 is 1.8F above their 1981-2010 avg, so they were probably about +1 for the month.)

Precip was +0.91", 6th rainiest Sept.  Only 0.39" came 17th-30th.

The 64 minimum on 9/1 is 3rd mildest in Sept, though way behind the 68,69 on 9/7,8/99. 

We had 3 days with minima 60+, 2 more than in August. Sept avg is 1.3. 

Maximum of 53 on 9/24 is 2F above the coolest for Sept, reached in both 2000 and 2012.

The foliage is more vibrant than my pics show - simply a matter of camera operator inexperience.  It looked like those sponge-paint pieces of artwork you make for second-grade art class.

I didn't end up hiking Washington Sunday, but actually drove up on Saturday (with some of my lazier friends lol, would have much rather hiked it, also less $$$ that way). It was perfect at the peak though, 50F, clear, no wind. Don't get days up there like that very often this time of year.

BVSp80TCUAA8ChA.jpg

An NWS met at BTV shared this last night...pretty cool to see the Northern Lights on the AOT cameras in Berlin:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The MWN guys posted a bunch of great photos too.

Damn it! Figures I leave and that happens lol. Anyway it was cool seeing the foliage from the plane on the way out. You could clearly see the gradient between the Greens and the lake. Hopefully when I come back on the 15th there will be more aurora opportunities.

Here is the Milky Way courtesy of the sky cam on the webpage for the observatory across the street from me.  Not bad a shot for a web cam.

An astronomy club is forming through the observatory that will give access to their equipment to the public.  Their biggest scope is a 17" telescope.  Here is their site.  http://www.nkaf.org/weather  If anyone is in the area and interested PM me and I can get you more details.

We are past peak now I think...too much leaf drop in the last 48 hours. Yesterday's 30mph gusts really took entire trees worth of leaves down. Anything of 1000ft and higher is past peak or on the tail end of peak where there's a good bit of empty trees yet still great color where there are leaves.

Town at 700-1000ft will probably hold on for one more weekend with great color, but I bet it's pretty bare at the ski resort in even a week.

Yup. I drove on the Kanc last weekend and I should have waited until at least this weekend. It was okay, but not amazing.

Hrm...I would think they'd be at peak by now. Everything is near peak here except for most of the stubborn oaks which have varying color.

Hrm...I would think they'd be at peak by now. Everything is near peak here except for most of the stubborn oaks which have varying color.

I'm really surprised they weren't at peak...we are past peak now at any elevation above like 1000 or 1200ft. Tons of leaf drop now and almost past peak in town. I'd say our peak was on Monday-Tuesday haha. Happens so quick.

Had my first rain drops in what feels like two weeks today. Just enough to wet the pavement haha.

Archived