Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CON has a vulnerable record tomorrow morning...but the airmass might be too modified to take advantage...could get close. Record is 30F, but it seems a few degrees out of reach.

Had widespread frost at the bottom of my hill this morning, but only patchy at the abode on the hillside. The widespread frost continued from Canterbury through Concord in the open fields. I'm kind of surprised CON equaled HIE...looks like HIE quickly saturated and fogged up.

Solid frost here in open fields and on cars and house roof-tops, but I don't think it ended the growing season.  Most plants sheltered in more protected areas with trees around, or planters within like 20 feet of houses/structures, still look to be pointing straight up towards the sun and look good to go.

From BTV:

"Overnight lows ranged from 25 degrees at Saranac Lake, NY to 48 at Colchester Reef on Lake Champlain."

1236337_533704190034820_1791750489_n.png

should radiate well though. going to be close

I feel like it will be one of those nights where it looks like they are well on their way early on, but then they level out...if this airmass was like 12 hours slower, I feel like they'd be a lock. Regardless, should be interesting to see some of the drops this evening.

Frost was mostly on the rooftops here as well but some patches of grass had it behind where I live. I was right on the line I think as any closer to the lake and you didn't see it.

You want to really geek out, the obs from BTV are pretty sweet and indicative of a cold night with good cooling conditions in the local Burlington area. I figured they'd get close to the record low (record was 34F, they hit 35F) once I saw the 11pm observation.

Check out how the surface winds were all due north in the afternoon and early evening... then they go calm.  Then you see the surface direction shows up as occasionally East instead of north.  That very light east wind in the sfc obs is BTV's drainage wind off the west slopes and particularly from Winooski Valley.  If you ever see the opposite, a light west wind, its over for BTV.  Light, intermittent east wind is the draining cold air settling out of the western slopes and following the various drainage to the CPV.

Powder that is definitely pretty awesome. It is cool to be learning about these local little tidbits as I get familiar with being here. Even the station at the lake in BTV (Lakeside on Wunderground) got to 38 for a time last night. The airport is likely most representative of where I am being I am a mile from the runway.

Powder that is definitely pretty awesome. It is cool to be learning about these local little tidbits as I get familiar with being here. Even the station at the lake in BTV (Lakeside on Wunderground) got to 38 for a time last night. The airport is likely most representative of where I am being I am a mile from the runway.

Yeah its pretty cool that it was able to drop so much close to the lake... but that's that light east wind drainage flow.  If that's happening at BTV, the cold is likely draining down to right next to the VT side of the lake.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes now for a real freeze in that area.  Its not that common for it to get that cold so early within those 3 miles of the lake (as seen by last night almost tying the record low).

So the growing season is officially done in the Adirondacks and far NE VT in Essex County.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT1101 AM EDT TUE SEP 17 2013...THE GROWING SEASON HAS ENDED ACROSS THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS OFNEW YORK AND ESSEX COUNTY IN VERMONT...LOW TEMPERATURES THIS MORNING RANGED FROM THE MID 20S TO THE LOWER30S ACROSS THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK AND IN ESSEXCOUNTY VERMONT. AS A RESULT...THE GROWING SEASON HAS EFFECTIVELYENDED FOR THE MAJORITY OF LOCATIONS IN THESE AREAS AND THENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FROST/FREEZE PROGRAM HAS BEENDISCONTINUED. LOOKING AT PAST DATA...THIS IS WELL WITHIN THECLIMATOLOGICAL NORMAL RANGE OF THE FIRST KILLING FROST FOR THESEAREAS. FOR THOSE WITH SURVIVING VEGETATION THEY WISH TOPROTECT...IT IS RECOMMENDED TO CLOSELY FOLLOW MINIMUM TEMPERATUREFORECASTS AND TAKE NECESSARY ACTION FOR TEMPERATURES NEAR OR BELOWFREEZING.TO GET A BETTER REPRESENTATION OF FREEZE DATES IN YOUR AREA...ALOCAL STUDY OF AVERAGE FREEZE DATES AND EARLIEST/LATEST FREEZEOCCURRENCE IS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE ATWWW.ERH.NOAA.GOV/BTV/CLIMO/FREEZE.

Solid frost and near 30 at my place this morning.  Current dews are either side of 40 and the afternoon temps 6-8F milder than yesterday, though I expect the wind to die down more quickly - it was still rustling the leaves at 9 last night.  I think Will has it right - rapid early plunge with a leveling off later, though GYX afternoon AFD suggested we might be as cold as this morning or even a bit colder due to faster decoupling.

meh, only 46f this a.m. We don't seem to get as cold on the hill even compared to some coastal areas at least at this time of the year. Interestingly when I come home from the gym in windham around 630 every night, the temp difference between windham downtown and our house is usually at least 5F colder at our house with an ~400ft elevation difference. At night though we just don't seem to drop off that much though. 

PF- Coulnd't the east wind be the the "shore" breeze? The lake is west of the station. Possible that it's staying warmer than the ground and thus inducing a flow of that land. No?

Anywho...just perfect weather right now.  Still think we're warm for the end of the month and early october. 

Wasn't thinking about that, but that sounds very likely.  It would probably be all involved in the same circulation, haha.  The warmer air over the lake starts to rise relative to the colder air on land...that cold air moves towards the water, but then there's a continuing supply of colder air seeping down out of the west slope benches.  I always pictured the drainage of cold air without visualizing the impact the lake has on all of that...

I was just looking at the 24-hour low temp map from BTV and thinking it looks colder than it should... then I realized we are getting to that time of year where the low is occurring at closer to 7am, rather than like 4:30am in July. 

Thus this morning's 24-hour lows ending at 7am included all the temps that occurred at 7:01am yesterday morning... only 37F at MVL this morning, but its on the map as 32F because of yesterday. 

Upper 30s this morning, gaining 3-4F each morning. Leaf change is about 20% in my general area, though all the white ash near the house puts the home front ahead of the curve, as usual.

I think we are about to explode with color in the next 7-10 days. Most trees have that starter red/orange look, and the mountain sides just has the look where it could go like flipping a switch.

Looking at photos from previous years, it looks like near Peak at the ski resort is around Oct 1st, with town about a week behind. By Columbus Day Weekend when the tourists sell out the town, it's too late.

I think we are about to explode with color in the next 7-10 days. Most trees have that starter red/orange look, and the mountain sides just has the look where it could go like flipping a switch.

Looking at photos from previous years, it looks like near Peak at the ski resort is around Oct 1st, with town about a week behind. By Columbus Day Weekend when the tourists sell out the town, it's too late.

Especially this year, with color if anything slightly ahead of normal, and the fact that Columbus day is on the 14th.

I have a question for you Mets. I am trying to figure out what my annual snowfall might be. The closest town that

might have reliable data is Plymouth NH about 8 miles to my NNE as the crow flies. They average 74" and elevation is 610 feet. I am 480 feet higher. Is there any formula as to how much snowfall increases per 1000 feet gain?

Thanks

Gene

Archived