joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admire your enthusiasm for second consecutive winter what will not quit.

Lol man I love winter! I love the cold and I love the snow. We will  have plenty of warm weather so I am just soaking this up!

Euro Ensemble agrees with you somewhat.  Had around a half inch when I went to bed and its all gone now!

Ya I am just watching the Teleconnections and I really think that will be a favored time period. Still have snow on the ground. Also Joe Wow!

Lot of downed trees today. Had to blaze through several to the half way point on the Mount Mitchell trail and clear one on the Blue Ridge Parkway to get home

8MVzOKD.jpg

http://www.appalachianhighcountrytrails.com/mt_mitchell_summit_trail_v2.html

For those into hiking the NC High Country, here is an excellent resource:

http://www.appalachianhighcountrytrails.com/index.html

Nice Mike! We ended up with 3 inches of heavy wet paste. Looks like middle of winter out there. Man I love this weather. This will not be our last snow. Look for the second week of April to bring some fun.

You are indeed an optimist!  :sled: Looks to me that it will be just a little too warm with freezing level near 850mb so as I mentioned-any potential accumulating snows going forward should be confined to ridges above 4500 feet. Spring time seasonal steep lapse rates will make it increasingly difficult to get snow level at such modestly cool 850 temps. (I will give the snow season one more month at my place just to be sure! :) ) In any case, no worries-I'm wrong all the time!  :snowing:

lol ya Mike I am pretty optimistic about the second week in April but hey enjoy this beautiful spring weather since we have it. Nice beautiful days and cool nights. Another solid cold morning this morning with a low of 20 degrees.

12 GFS completely unloads on the ridge tops during that time frame. Perhaps some late season high elevation storms will help my mtn top catch up with SnoJoe! :sled:   

I had so snowball fight with shorts and flip flops today for the first time. We've been in Townsend, TN for the past few days. We were about 500 ft below the snow line the other night but did lose power. Got lots of pretty pictures of the snow caps and today we drove the three year old up Newfound gap road for some snow fun. There was still plenty of it around above 3000 feet but it was melting fast. What a beautiful time to be in the mountains.

High Winds continuing this afternoon

The historic iconic sign for Grandfather Mountain in Linville was also blown down.

(Picture courtesy of Catherine Morton..  Thanks Catherine ! )

wxXiLFh.jpg

Per the sonic anemometer, the winds were over 100mph at the summit earlier this morning

Wow.  Drove by that sign almost everyday for 3 years.  Linville at the base of GFM.  Guessing those winds were at least 100mph -atop!

Hope they don't put it back up.  It was a bit "cheesy"... but, an icon.

Edit: Morton's are owners of GF Mountain... recollection?  Big, dirty history there regarding Grandfather Mountain.  Neither here, nor there - however.  

12 GFS completely unloads on the ridge tops during that time frame. Perhaps some late season high elevation storms will help my mtn top catch up with SnoJoe! :sled:   

Yep and the Euro keeps coming back to a colder solution the second week in April. I really feel like we have one more in us. The Euro is pretty cold for a large portion of the East. Lets enjoy this beautiful weather as Joe alluded to then we can set our sights on the next snowfall.

Archived