• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Well last years thread was very successful and I thought this would be a great way to keep all the mountain events under one thread so we could look back and keep track of all the snow events specifically for the mountains. So go ahead and let the speculation begin. As we could see snow in the mountains in about another month. If I remember right we have had snow before Halloween the past 4 out of 5 years in the favored locations along the TN/NC boarder.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that haven't seen this..nice paper written on last year's big October snowstorm that dumped up to 36" of snow along the NC/TN line along with massive snow drifts. (Backlash snows from what was left of Hurricane Sandy.)

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/localdat/cases/2012/Sandy_NWflow/Sandy_Snow_Final_13March2013.pdf

This map depicts the snow that fell although for some reason it shows 0 inches in the Plott Balsams of Northern Jackson where in fact about 2 feet fell in the highest elevations above 5000 feet.

The sat image shows a much more accurate depiction of where the snow fell. (Taken November 1 after some melting had occurred.)

Not to be too picky, Met1985, but shouldn't the title read "2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains"?

If this thread is only covering the 2nd annual threat, then you'll have to retire this thread around middle November.   :D

Thanks Calculus but I am not sure how to go back and edit the title. If someone one could tell me I will go back and change it.

wow, I forgot about how much of a whopper than Oct 2012 snow was down there. Nice maps and thanks for posting. For those living in those areas, how long did that snow last for on the ground? It was a pretty much a heavy wet snow right?

That was the start to our disaster 5.1" for the winter up here in Nova, ugh, lol.

Great thread Met too :thumbsup:

wow, I forgot about how much of a whopper than Oct 2012 snow was down there. Nice maps and thanks for posting. For those living in those areas, how long did that snow last for on the ground? It was a pretty much a heavy wet snow right?

That was the start to our disaster 5.1" for the winter up here in Nova, ugh, lol.

Great thread Met too :thumbsup:

Ya West Virginia got the media coverage but we had snow almost on the ground for 2 weeks because it turned around and snowed the following week here to in the higher elevations. Seems like the Southern Appalachians do not get a lot of media coverage for the snow we get. But we get a lot of localized high snowfall totals here in WNC. You should move down here Dave.

Ya West Virginia got the media coverage but we had snow almost on the ground for 2 weeks because it turned around and snowed the following week here to in the higher elevations. Seems like the Southern Appalachians do not get a lot of media coverage for the snow we get. But we get a lot of localized high snowfall totals here in WNC. You should move down here Dave.

I was on the mtn top November 8 last year..there was only a little evidence of snow that had fallen in October still remaining. (I knew about the 2 feet that had previously fallen from another weather observer in the subdivision who lives about 1000 feet lower down.)  However, as you mentioned more snow fell on top of that the following week per this pic.  The snowline at that time was about 5500 feet which seems to be the normal snowline for most of the Winter there. (Note: You can see Clingmans Dome and the rest of the Smokies on the right-the distant ridge.)

I was on the mtn top November 8 last year..there was only a little evidence of snow that had fallen in October still remaining. (I knew about the 2 feet that had previously fallen from another weather observer in the subdivision who lives about 1000 feet lower down.)  However, as you mentioned more snow fell on top of that the following week per this pic.  The snowline at that time was about 5500 feet which seems to be the normal snowline for most of the Winter there. (Note: You can see Clingmans Dome and the rest of the Smokies on the right-the distant ridge.)

Yep beautiful pic Mike.

Excellent Dave! Thank you Sir!

No problem, anytime

Yep that is so true. Outside of local coverage out of AVL or GSP, you really dont hear much about WNC/E TN when it comes to winter storms. It sucks too, because a lot of people do travel there and would like to know what is going on. Brad P out of CLT does a great job with it on Twitter and between him and on here it is how I keep up with the winter weather down there. It is such a unique area with regards to different levels of climate there too. It is fascinating to me. But yes you are spot on with wrt WV coverage. Maybe because of its location to DC and a large population travel to the WV Allegheny Mtns for skiing and such they get more coverage from DC/Baltimore and Pittsburgh to the north.

Thats pretty wild you had snow on the ground thru the first 2 weeks in Nov. Awesome and they some more on top of the 2-3 feet. that is pure heaven. I live thru you and your other folks posts on here and the webcams in WNC area in winter. I love it.

If I was single, I would be living down there trust me, LOL. I do love it there in WNC. However I hope to be closer to the area in a few years and be WNW of CLT somewhere. :)

Great pic Mike, gorgeous

Fall Color Map for Western North Carolina:

http://biology.appstate.edu/biology/fall-color-report/fall-color-map-north-carolina

What is nice about this map; it actually does a decent job in showing where/when to expect the first snowfall of the season. (On this basis-Mountainous areas to the SE are overly highlighted as typical first snows of the season are related to NW wind upslope events.) It is no coincidence that leaves generally fall off just before the first snowfall.

(Another reason why elevations above 5500 feet have mostly conifers as the threat of unseasonal snowfalls is always there.) Clingsmans Dome, Mt. LeConte TN, Roan Mtn and Beech Mtn are all hot spots for the first flakes of the season.

Fall Color Map for Western North Carolina:

http://biology.appstate.edu/biology/fall-color-report/fall-color-map-north-carolina

What is nice about this map; it actually does a decent job in showing where/when to expect the first snowfall of the season. (On this basis-Mountainous areas to the SE are overly highlighted as typical first snows of the season are related to NW wind upslope events.) It is no coincidence that leaves generally fall off just before the first snowfall.

(Another reason why elevations above 5500 feet have mostly conifers as the threat of unseasonal snowfalls is always there.) Clingsmans Dome, Mt. LeConte TN, Roan Mtn and Beech Mtn are all hot spots for the first flakes of the season.

Very true Mike and you can see in my neck of the woods that Haywood has a chain of mountains that tower some 5000+ feet. We have the fourth highest mountain East of the Mississippi which it Mt. Guyot and also out mean average elevation is believed to be the highest East of the Mississippi coming in at 3600 feet. Like you said a great look at the favored NW flow ranges on here.

Very true Mike and you can see in my neck of the woods that Haywood has a chain of mountains that tower some 5000+ feet. We have the fourth highest mountain East of the Mississippi which it Mt. Guyot and also out mean average elevation is believed to be the highest East of the Mississippi coming in at 3600 feet. Like you said a great look at the favored NW flow ranges on here.

You will probably like this..snow map from January 16...Haywood county is outlined by the pattern of NW wind snowfall that day! :)

Took this over the weekend from the in-laws place.  They are on a ridge top at 3500 ft in east Yancey county.  That's the Black Mountain range in the background with Mt. Mitchell behind the trees on the left.  They are definitely not in the favored NW flow location, but they do OK.

jxfb.jpg

Beautiful picture. The mountains are a special place to live year round that is for sure. My opinion is in the winter there is nowhere else to be when it snows; it is just an amazing place to live.

Beautiful picture. The mountains are a special place to live year round that is for sure. My opinion is in the winter there is nowhere else to be when it snows; it is just an amazing place to live.

No doubt about that 85'. I find myself looking for reasons not to leave the mountains during winter for fear that ill miss a few flakes haha.

No doubt about that 85'. I find myself looking for reasons not to leave the mountains during winter for fear that ill miss a few flakes haha.

Lol I hear ya on that. No way am I going somewhere in the winter to miss it snowing here.

Took this over the weekend from the in-laws place.  They are on a ridge top at 3500 ft in east Yancey county.  That's the Black Mountain range in the background with Mt. Mitchell behind the trees on the left.  They are definitely not in the favored NW flow location, but they do OK.

jxfb.jpg

Gorgeous photo, and this ladies and gentlemen is the only reason I need as to why I need to live here :)

jxfb.jpg

Seven Mile Ridge ?

Archived