• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Many Questions about Meteorology and Meteorologists?

vElectrixx

I have always had a strong love for weather ever since I was five (constant watching of the Weather channel hours on end about severe weather). I have made my career path headed into meteorology, which doesn't seem surprising. During high school, what classes are most important? Currently I'm taking a meteorology class, but are there sciences and other mathematics that are important for meteorology? Also, what different "branches" of meteorology are there (operational, etc.) and what do they do for a living?

Now questions for meteorologists.

How do you like your job? How stressful does it tend to be?

How's the competition for the job? Was moving a long distance required to get your position?

How's the salary? Is the amount of work you do give a reasonable pay?

What are the average work hours? (I have read that shifts change often, but on an average day, how many hours do you work?)

Are there ever fun, entertaining moments that occur during your job?

I hope the majority or even all questions are answered. Thank you for your time.

From my experience in the NWS and the Air Force...

I love my jobs and find them very rewarding, always challenging and changing. The training is good and something you'll always be doing. The work is varied with op fcsting/warnings, case studies, outreach, research, hydrology, and comp sci. The most stressful part of the work is the rotating shift work and dealing with occiasional funky customers...which is normally the general public.       

How's the competition for the job? Was moving a long distance required to get your position?

Competition is high and you really need to gain as much experience with your education as you can in order to beat out others. There are more folks qualified for met jobs than there are openings.  Yes, you'll likely have to move to different parts of the country more than once during your career. You need to go where the jobs and advancement oportunities are located. 

Just like other jobs, you move up as you gain experience and responsibility. I currently make 90K a year in the NWS and another 15K a year in the Air Force reserves. I started out making 35K in the NWS tho.  

What are the average work hours? (I have read that shifts change often, but on an average day, how many hours do you work?)

There can be overtime during severe wx ops, but generally it's an 8 hr day, yet of couse, the shifts rotate. The Air Force does 12 hr days, 12 hr nights...with 2 days on 3 off...then 3 days on and 2 off.   

There is always the camaraderie of working odd shifts and the fascination of working unusual or significant weather events. We get a lot of comedy out of the odd people and situations we have to deal with at times. Generally the work environment is a little on the stoic side, but it's professional and the folks you work with are intelligent with high senses of humor and understanding.

From a private sector meteorologist...

I'm pretty happy at my job overall. Having the same hours every day is nice. It can be stressful when something breaks or a few people are out, which increases the work load.

All forecasting jobs have high competition. I was fortunate enough to find a job where I don't have to fly to get to my parents' in a reasonable amount of time, but it was a decent distance.

Could be better after 3+ years, but the starting salary at my job is competitive, if not better, than the average private company. However, raises are not all well-defined as what you would get in the NWS, so there's some risk in that (based on your performance and work habits a bit more than just straight experience).

I do 45 hours per week, plus a couple of 9 hour shifts on the weekend each month. The weekend stuff is a nice income supplement :)

I work with an awesome crew that gets along well, and entertainment can come from the interactions. From a weather perspective, it's entertaining whenever a bigger weather event is occurring or about to occur.

My two cents on the first part...

In high school, focus on math, physics, chemistry and whatever computer science you can.  I didn't realize before entering college I was basically going to be a physics and math student.  Learn to love math!  Being strong in computer programming has become very important these days.  In my mind, a good Undergrad degree these days would be BS in Meteorology/Atmospheric Science with a double minor of Math and Computer Science.  It's REAL competitive out there.

Four main "branches" of meteorology (that I can think of):

Operational forecasting - for the NWS, a Masters would likely be necessary, private industry you can get by with a Bachelor of  Science...but if I were going into school today I'd set my sights on at least a Masters.  You'll likely have to move around the U.S. to get promotions.

Research - If you play your cards right (and with some luck) you can get a position with a Masters, but a PhD is generally necessary.  Two classmates of mine got jobs out of paid internships at NCAR with just a BS.  But...this was back in 2000.  I was jealous as my internship at COMET didn't turn into a position! 

Teaching - requires a PhD at the college/University level

Broadcast (TV/radio) - generally you can get a job with a Bachelors degree...but you'll need direct experience as well.  If you want to go this route, as soon as possible, get an internship at a local TV station either in HS or College.  You'll likely start at a small station and have to move around to get to larger stations with better pay.

I work for the NWS but am not an operational forecaster.  I wear many hats at times but primarily monitor all of NCEP's operations/infrastructure.  It's not too stressful most times but when things aren't going well, it is very stressful because getting things fixed is on me.

The NWS is very, very competitive.  I got my first job out of school at the University of Northern Iowa as a Meteorological Support Scientist...was very lucky.  My college internship got me that job and that job got me my current position due to the skills I learned at each.  Luck helps.

Good.  Yes.

40 hours a week, though due to the rotating work schedule, I can work nearly 70 hours in 7 days...but then get 5 days off.  We generally work 9/10/12 hour shifts that add up to 80 hours every two weeks.

Sure, and if you find yourself in a job that doesn't have them, find another job!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I have always had a strong love for weather ever since I was five (constant watching of the Weather channel hours on end about severe weather). I have made my career path headed into meteorology, which doesn't seem surprising. During high school, what classes are most important?

Math and science, naturally.  Try to get as far ahead as you can, it will help later.

Currently I'm taking a meteorology class, but are there sciences and other mathematics that are important for meteorology?

Calculus and physics are the core of meteorology.

Also, what different "branches" of meteorology are there (operational, etc.) and what do they do for a living?

Forecasting includes NWS, Television, Energy.  There's also Consulting.  Not to mention Research.  Its late but I know there's a few more.

Now questions for meteorologists.

How do you like your job?

Pretty good.  Can't complain.

How stressful does it tend to be?

This depends on what you do and where you are.  Out here in the empty desert... not very stressful.  But there isn't much weather and no one lives here ;)

How's the competition for the job?

Very high.  I've had good luck and bad.  Getting into forecasting took only a few tries, but I settled for AccuWeather right out of college.  Competition wasn't quite so bad there.  National Weather Service, on the other hand, is ridiculously competitive.  It took me 100 tries just to get in.  I think I've made about 30 attempts since then to get back east, all of them big fat failures.  Oh well.

Was moving a long distance required to get your position?

Yes.  More than 2000 miles.

How's the salary?

Its great.  No complaints.

Is the amount of work you do give a reasonable pay?

Absolutely. 

What are the average work hours?

At AccuWeather we worked 40 hours/week in the summer, 46/week in the winter.  In the NWS its 80 hours in two weeks, so yes its variable.  Sometimes I'll work 70 hours one week, 10 hours the next.

(I have read that shifts change often, but on an average day, how many hours do you work?)

I work 10-hour days here. 

All the time.

Archived