SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2013-2014

Rainshadow

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this question in the MA forum too, but does anyone know what is the physical reason why a year with a rapid increase in snow cover would produce better Arctic blocking than a year with steady above normal snow cover? It seems to me that both paths would generally lead to more efficient building of pressures in the high latitudes than a year with low snow cover.

I posted this question in the MA forum too, but does anyone know what is the physical reason why a year with a rapid increase in snow cover would produce better Arctic blocking than a year with steady above normal snow cover? It seems to me that both paths would generally lead to more efficient building of pressures in the high latitudes than a year with low snow cover.

Could be that the snow cover is partly a byproduct of a certain pattern which is conducive to snow further south down the road, instead of a direct cause of a snowy pattern.  Don't know, but its what pops into my head. 

This is highly speculative, but my guess is that rapid increase of snow cover has a latent variable that is the true cause of the relationship.

First 20 days of Oct at phl. ouch.

AVERAGE MONTHLY: 65.3 DPTR FM NORMAL: 5.9 

So another "mode conflict" October as there is no way that Eurasian snow cover is going to average less than average for the month.  Same as last October.  Here are the other Octobers and winter enso states: 1968 (nino), 1970 (nina), 1971 (nina), 1973 (nina), 1993 (neutral), 1998 (nina), 2001 (neutral), 2010 (nina) & 2012 (neutral).  The enso states that have a chance this winter I bolded, The others (moderate or greater) IMO are too strong in either direction.

CFS2 current output, they are currently outlooking a borderline enso neutral/weak el nino for the winter with warmer departures east of 3.4.  Its also near the warmest end of the dynamical and statistical models overall, the dynamicals are enso neutral positive, the statisticals, enso neutral negative. The raw SSTA anomalies though dont look as bad in the rest of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. The Atlantic, not so good.  They dont have a 500mb anomaly chart, but it almost looks like a stronger positive PNA winter as we go along with an eventual negative NAO east for what all of that is worth.

So another "mode conflict" October as there is no way that Eurasian snow cover is going to average less than average for the month. Same as last October. Here are the other Octobers and winter enso states: 1968 (nino), 1970 (nina), 1971 (nina), 1973 (nina), 1993 (neutral), 1998 (nina), 2001 (neutral), 2010 (nina) & 2012 (neutral). The enso states that have a chance this winter I bolded, The others (moderate or greater) IMO are too strong in either direction.

CFS2 current output, they are currently outlooking a borderline enso neutral/weak el nino for the winter with warmer departures east of 3.4. Its also near the warmest end of the dynamical and statistical models overall, the dynamicals are enso neutral positive, the statisticals, enso neutral negative. The raw SSTA anomalies though dont look as bad in the rest of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. The Atlantic, not so good. They dont have a 500mb anomaly chart, but it almost looks like a stronger positive PNA winter as we go along with an eventual negative NAO east for what all of that is worth.

Split flow ice storms... Or 35 and rain. Take our pick!

Yea, could be. However, 93-94 was pretty anomalous. All depends on how everything plays out. 93-94 had a an Atlantic so bad that it wS actually good. (Fast flow, no blocking). But because it sagged far enough south with the huge PV anomaly, the flow of storms were quick, cold hitters.

Gut tells me that the Atlantic might not coop this year. If so, the pacific is gonna need to rock, otherwise fuggedaboutit

Yea, could be. However, 93-94 was pretty anomalous. All depends on how everything plays out. 93-94 had a an Atlantic so bad that it wS actually good. (Fast flow, no blocking). But because it sagged far enough south with the huge PV anomaly, the flow of storms were quick, cold hitters.

Gut tells me that the Atlantic might not coop this year. If so, the pacific is gonna need to rock, otherwise fuggedaboutit

Have to see how deep the snow cover gets north of our area in November and December.  While we were getting soaking rains in Nov/Dec 1993, they were getting buried in snow.

That year had a -epo which was the source for all the cold which was directed at the US

So another "mode conflict" October as there is no way that Eurasian snow cover is going to average less than average for the month.  Same as last October.  Here are the other Octobers and winter enso states: 1968 (nino), 1970 (nina), 1971 (nina), 1973 (nina), 1993 (neutral), 1998 (nina), 2001 (neutral), 2010 (nina) & 2012 (neutral).  The enso states that have a chance this winter I bolded, The others (moderate or greater) IMO are too strong in either direction.

CFS2 current output, they are currently outlooking a borderline enso neutral/weak el nino for the winter with warmer departures east of 3.4.  Its also near the warmest end of the dynamical and statistical models overall, the dynamicals are enso neutral positive, the statisticals, enso neutral negative. The raw SSTA anomalies though dont look as bad in the rest of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. The Atlantic, not so good.  They dont have a 500mb anomaly chart, but it almost looks like a stronger positive PNA winter as we go along with an eventual negative NAO east for what all of that is worth.

I would take that and let that play out. Only thing is though, it looks like the AO should average out this to above normal. Seems like their is a decent correlation with october AO's and how it pans out the rest of the winter.

I would take that and let that play out. Only thing is though, it looks like the AO should average out this to above normal. Seems like their is a decent correlation with october AO's and how it pans out the rest of the winter.

I think the correlation for October - DJF AO is an inverse one, so it's better to have a +AO right now. Same goes with the NAO.

Could be that the snow cover is partly a byproduct of a certain pattern which is conducive to snow further south down the road, instead of a direct cause of a snowy pattern.  Don't know, but its what pops into my head. 

This is highly speculative, but my guess is that rapid increase of snow cover has a latent variable that is the true cause of the relationship.

Good thoughts. Definitely an interesting topic of research.

Does anyone have a link to the site where you can plot severla years and or months and look at the patterns. Here is the example of what im trying to find. Though i want to be able to plug in different dates where like snow storms occurred and different patterns

bfac544c3d89afad04c72ba179438a2a.jpg

Not sure if this is what you're looking for: 

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/

Many forecasts have hinted at a mild first half of winter and then colder and stormier from late January onward.

Well you have similar October temperature departures, snow cover advance and sorry Atlantic as we did heading into last winter (which at least by temperatures was like last winter). But the Pacific looks better than last fall and the number of hemispheric recurving tropical systems I believe is down from last winter. That sounds like colder shots even if it contradicts my :wub: for October. 

Well you have similar October temperature departures, snow cover advance and sorry Atlantic as we did heading into last winter (which at least by temperatures was like last winter). But the Pacific looks better than last fall and the number of hemispheric recurving tropical systems I believe is down from last winter. That sounds like colder shots even if it contradicts my :wub: for October. 

At least with colder shots we have a better chance  of snow :santa:

Pretty much a cutter pattern with the se ridge basking in glory if you run it against the 30 yr avg since 81

cd7112363312977269prcp_zps0651764e.png

Archived