Rainshadow

Jack's Newfoundland Pool - POS NAO

Dr. Hart's recurving tropics - looks heading to neg NAO

Siberian Snow - TBD

Enso - neutral?

PDO - not as bad?

October Temps - TBD

QBO - Positive?

Mitch & I were initially contemplating a pos pna/pos nao winter, got a bunch of that '80s show analogs. Well we will see from here...

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, Euro monthlies are saying +EPO/-NAO Dec, ++PNA/-NAO Jan, -EPO/-PNA/-NAO Feb

December would be a war temp wise. +epo  usually would probably translate to a -pna with a trof on west coast. The neg nao would argue for blockiness over us. Sounds like a lot of cutters redeveloping over us or maybe under. Jan and february would be solid in my eyes. Even though you have a -pna for february on the monthlies the -epo would definitely dislodge the cold from alaska area and aim it towards the US, combined with a -nao we would have the cold air, but storms tracks would be an issue sometimes.

December would be a war temp wise. +epo  usually would probably translate to a -pna with a trof on west coast. The neg nao would argue for blockiness over us. Sounds like a lot of cutters redeveloping over us or maybe under. Jan and february would be solid in my eyes. Even though you have a -pna for february on the monthlies the -epo would definitely dislodge the cold from alaska area and aim it towards the US, combined with a -nao we would have the cold air, but storms tracks would be an issue sometimes.

Just looking at H5 anoms, January would be the jackpot from that forecast. February is an overrunning pattern. December is mostly blah looking to me.

Just a reminder for people in terms of how each enso state breaks down snowfall wise for philly from 1949- 2009-10

STRONG NINA - 6 WINTERS 15.9 inches

MODERATE NINA - 7 WINTERS 13.8 inches

WEAK NINA - 7 WINTERS 23.1 inches

ENSO NEUTRAL - 22 WINTERS 22 inches

WEAK NINO - 5 WINTERS 28.1 inches

MODERATE NINO - 8 WINTERS 24.3 inches

STRONG NINO - 6 WINTERS 27 inches

Jack's Newfoundland Pool - POS NAO

Dr. Hart's recurving tropics - looks heading to neg NAO

Siberian Snow - TBD

Enso - neutral?

PDO - not as bad?

October Temps - TBD

QBO - Positive?

Mitch & I were initially contemplating a pos pna/pos nao winter, got a bunch of that '80s show analogs. Well we will see from here...

What was the siberian snowfall like last year? I know one was above normal, not sure if it was north american snowfall or Siberian. 

First thoughts on my end. Several years in the 80's did pop out on my list. Most noteworthy is 80-81. Several years featured a nice ENSO, PDO and QBO match a few others matched two of three. Overall this process would suggest just below normal snow for the upcoming winter. I'll do monthly breakdowns of these years when i have a chance.  ENSO ( neutral, week nina) PDO ( negative) QBO ( positive with summer peak) 

62-63 20.5 inches of snow ( no QBO data) 

80-81 15.4 inches of snow 

85-86 16.4 inches of snow ( BAD PDO)  

90-91 14.6 inches of snow 

01-02 4.0 inches of snow ( BAD QBO)  :grinch:

Don't think we will have the modeled west based el-nino by both the CFS and ECMWF, expecting there more favorable solutions to become more average to blah. Hopefully not scary like 01-02. Maybe the Siberian snowcover impresses me. 

Some of this did match in well with Tony's idea on the teleconnection state. 

Ironically as far as the outcome was for us, the study was correct. The AO averaged negative, but the NAO didnt turn negative til the second half of the winter.  That separation deosnt happen often.

How well does above normal siberian snowcover correlate to our snowiest winters? I would like to see what the snowcover was like in the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons

How well does above normal siberian snowcover correlate to our snowiest winters? I would like to see what the snowcover was like in the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons

cursnow-10.gif?w=500&h=500

eurasia10.png

Kinda correlates to the hard 70's winters, dull 80s and late 90's, decent early 2000's, and the kick ass 2009-2011 winters. 

Tombo,

Snowfall is not a "normal" distribution. I forget if its just called skewed and Mark is no longer here to straighten me.  Anyway, last 45 winters since snow cover has been measured, 30 have had below the current average snowfall in Philadelphia and 15 above the current average.

If Siberian (Eurasian really as far as I can obtain) snow cover averages above normal for October, 11 of the 23 ensuing winters have been snowier than average in PHL. If Siberian snow cover averages below for October, its 4 of 22.

As for temperatures, using the '67-'12 median of 35.0F, if Siberian snow cover averages above normal for October, 12 of the 23 ensuing winters averaged below 35.0F in PHL. If Siberian snow cover averages below for October, its 10 of the 22 ensuing winters averaged below 35.0F.  Mark did some statistical testing on this before he retired and found no worthwhile correlation between snow cover and winter temperatures in our area.

Archived