joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like widespread 2-4" totals up this way with a slight chance at an isolated 5" total near 287. Rates could briefly exceed 1" per hour. Generally expecting a light to moderate rate lasting 4-6 hours.

Reports out of Pittsburgh are impressive.. It a shame that that current line of convection is gonna fall apart once it crosses the apps

Syracuse average snowfall rates are awesome. Can you imagine the years they shatter the normal amounts!

My brother lived to the southeast of Syracuse, about 900 feet higher in elevation. His average was even higher and some of those banner years were awesome. It wound make our snowpack look like 6".

My brother lived to the southeast of Syracuse, about 900 feet higher in elevation. His average was even higher and some of those banner years were awesome. It wound make our snowpack look like 6".

I grew up in Buffalo so I am no stranger to snow, but I lived in Cortland for 3 years and was incredibly impressed by the sheer number of days that it snows in that region.  They don't really get the heavy lake effect like the Tug Hill, but those hills south of Syracuse definitely enhance snowfall in that region.  Plus, if the winds are aligned right (usually NNW), you can get lake effect snow off the Finger Lakes.  The most epic winter I experienced there was, not surprisingly, 2004.  There was a period of nearly 2 straight months where it snowed daily.  It was usually a small amount, a dusting to 2 inches, but there were some larger storms sprinkled in. Incidentally (or not), I worked in Syracuse and that January was (and I believe remains) their snowiest month ever with something like 80" of snow.  There was actually 2 or 3 consecutive days that month where the temperature never got above zero.  Something about the years ending in "4"!!

I grew up in Buffalo so I am no stranger to snow, but I lived in Cortland for 3 years and was incredibly impressed by the sheer number of days that it snows in that region. They don't really get the heavy lake effect like the Tug Hill, but those hills south of Syracuse definitely enhance snowfall in that region. Plus, if the winds are aligned right (usually NNW), you can get lake effect snow off the Finger Lakes. The most epic winter I experienced there was, not surprisingly, 2004. There was a period of nearly 2 straight months where it snowed daily. It was usually a small amount, a dusting to 2 inches, but there were some larger storms sprinkled in. Incidentally (or not), I worked in Syracuse and that January was (and I believe remains) their snowiest month ever with something like 80" of snow. There was actually 2 or 3 consecutive days that month where the temperature never got above zero. Something about the years ending in "4"!!

My brother lived in Cazenovia, I'd take 81 to Cortland and get off on 13. 2004 was an epic year there. I experienced 26 below zero up there that year and also saw the heaviest snow I've ever seen to this day, total whiteouts. Every snow lover should experience a lake effect whiteout at least once. I also experienced whiteouts from a ground blizzard up there, just total epicosity for a snow lover.

5F here this evening, 6 degrees under my forecast low, and still dropping a couple tenths every few minutes. What a great deep winter night.

Yeah- I'm down to 10 here by me. Single digits coming soon. Any snow that does fall will stick pretty quick in the am.

Really enjoying this winter- almost wish we weren't getting this mini thaw.

Yeah- I'm down to 10 here by me. Single digits coming soon. Any snow that does fall will stick pretty quick in the am.

Really enjoying this winter- almost wish we weren't getting this mini thaw.

I would think most folks are going to start inching upwards if they haven't already? I'm up to 10F since the clouds started moving in.

The second half of this week is definitely going to be a bummer and our snowpack will take a hit, but many winters have more-or-less ended after this point. There's something nice to be said for talk, at the end of February, of long-range polar vortex intrusion and KU chances!

what time is the storm going to hit? J/k

Not much here in HL this morning

I'd be surprised with an inch at this point the way things are looking.  Tomorrow's system would actually be better for most of our area than today's if it weren't for warmer temperatures.  

Friday looks to be an all out assault to our snow pack with showers as well as temps and dews near 50.

Archived