• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

It will be interesting to see how far North and West the heavy precip gets.  I've seen storms were eastern Sussex County does well and there is a sharp cutoff as you move west in the county closer to the Delaware river.  Same thing for Orange County sometimes Monroe gets hit hard and there is much less snow in  Port Jervis or Middletown.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how far North and West the heavy precip gets.  I've seen storms were eastern Sussex County does well and there is a sharp cutoff as you move west in the county closer to the Delaware river.  Same thing for Orange County sometimes Monroe gets hit hard and there is much less snow in  Port Jervis or Middletown.

Yes I agree.. This is probably one of them. I can see Monroe getting 6" while back here we are struggling to reach 3"

It will be interesting to see how far North and West the heavy precip gets. I've seen storms were eastern Sussex County does well and there is a sharp cutoff as you move west in the county closer to the Delaware river. Same thing for Orange County sometimes Monroe gets hit hard and there is much less snow in Port Jervis or Middletown.

This is very true- I'm in Monroe, about 6 miles north of Greenwood Lake. Nestled in between two mountains that the Appalachian runs thru. We tend to do just fine with coastals. And then the flip side where Middletown does better in other storms. But my area tends to be a bit of a snow magnet- have seen some epic amounts over the years in this corridor. Of course any snow is good during the winter. Hopefully we get in on some of the fun for this one. Still have about an inch left from the Sat morning surprise. Need to build some snow pack lol

Yes I agree.. This is probably one of them. I can see Monroe getting 6" while back here we are struggling to reach 3"

I'll be pulling for all of us in the burbs- if the coast becomes the new snow magnet, might have to move lol

We just need one good old fashioned tucked inside the benchmark storm to put us over the top.

I've seen a million storms like this in the past, and typically when I'm on the fence like I am now, MOST cases it just doesn't work out and I get brushed with precip. However I am much further west in longitude than most of you. I think the vast majority of you will get some decent moderate accumulations. Especially you eastern Sussex county and Orange county folks.

Guest Patrick

I dunno... you see that digging on the vapor loop?  that's pretty extreme.  combine that with the west trends on the srefs, and the weenie in me says somebody on the coast is sniffing the rain while someone NW of me is getting some surprise snow....and please, coastal folks...if you are lingering in here, i realize that not one model shows rain over your house... and i'm not wishing for it... i'm just saying the west trend isn't over yet.

I've seen a million storms like this in the past, and typically when I'm on the fence like I am now, MOST cases it just doesn't work out and I get brushed with precip. However I am much further west in longitude than most of you. I think the vast majority of you will get some decent moderate accumulations. Especially you eastern Sussex county and Orange county folks.

Are these ever correct recently? I always see big numbers when posted.

Well the storm earlier in the month had big numbers till about 24 hrs prior to the event. They then corrected down to about 7-9" and thats exactly what most recieved. We are about 18 hrs from the start time here and they continue to increase. Its def interesting thats for sure

Ah ok... You usually do see 2 deform bands set up. One closer to the center and one farther away.The 18z GFS had this.

Doesn't one usually become the "big one" though? In the case of the SREF, it seems that the big one is the further NW band, over NNJ/Hudson valley. In the members that do sow that band, it also shows less precip in the area that most likely will get the highest amounts

Doesn't one usually become the "big one" though? In the case of the SREF, it seems that the big one is the further NW band, over NNJ/Hudson valley. In the members that do sow that band, it also shows less precip in the area that most likely will get the highest amounts

I have seen 2 bands in many storms. I used to live down in Edison and had the great luck to be caught in between the bands on two storms.

Time will tell what occurs, but I am not going to lose any sleep over if I get 4 inches or 15.

Hoping my commute home tomorrow evening goes well. Hills around here are knarly with any snow.

Guest Patrick

how about your western friends?  map trouble tonight for me...

Looks like the 0z RGEM has made a major bump north. Things are def starting to get interesting for us up here.

Archived