• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into Fall

About 3" in S Buffalo, sidewalks are roughly half that. I never thought we'd hit warning criteria, but Alden or something will in Northern Erie, I guess. Annoying part is how power lines are hanging. Never thought I'd want some wind during snow here

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6" on the nose here; more than I was expecting when I went to bed last night to be honest. Right now it's just OVC and 31F. We'll see if we can get some mood flakes later today when the CAA kicks into high gear on increasing northwesterly flow. There could be some additional accumulation this evening from the Boston Hills down to the Chautauqua Ridge...probably not so much for my area.

One thing we will have to monitor is the possibility of rogue Lake Huron/Georgian Bay streamers oscillating back and forth across the region from tonight and tomorrow. Best chance of this will be well south and well north/east of BUF, but the local workstation ETA run out of BTV has occasionally been suggesting streamers right in the immediate BUF area. These streamers are usually razor-thin and tend to wiggle/oscillate so I wouldn't look for more than an inch of fluff wherever they set up for short periods of time...but I always find them interesting.

Big story over the next couple days will be the return of the wind and cold, really. Probably one of the colder Thanksgivings in recent memory.

Ended with about 3.8" in S Buffalo, probably a bit low because it's consistently melting gradually. Other than sticking to power lines, this storm was optimal. It's beautiful outside, everything is white, was fairly easy to clean up and roads are fine.

Some weak multi-banded LES appears to be setting up along the south shore counties of Lake Ontario right now, but judging by the orientation of snowbands upstream (to the lee of Georgian Bay) I think there might be a subtle s/w crossing the Niagara Peninsula that is about to turn the flow more north northwesterly. This will shorten the fetch across Lake Ontario and at least temporarily disrupt the ongoing lake activity:

post-619-0-95389500-1385595250_thumb.gif

Interesting banding going on here, LES band setting up shop over Northeastern Erie County, NY, Amherst, NY and northeastern suburbs of Buffalo Metro area getting some very good snowfall right now, probably an additional 1.0-1.5" of snow already on the ground.

Where are you currently located? I remember a few years ago where I received 6 inches from a streamer off of Huron in Amherst in just a few hours. Sometimes these little events can surprise people as they are virtually unpredictable! ^_^

The band looks pretty stationary as of this moment, might be nice little surprise event.

Where are you currently located? I remember a few years ago where I received 6 inches from a streamer of of Huron in Amherst in just a few hours. Sometimes these little events can surprise people as they are virtually unpredictable! ^_^

I was telling my brother about that event today - I don't remember exactly when it was, but I do remember hearing about it. I think as much as 8" of super fluffy snow may have accumulated near the airport! These events always intrigue me.

I wouldn't expect 6" or 8" tonight, but the Georgian Bay streamer does appear to have taken up residence across the immediate northern/eastern suburbs of Buffalo, including the airport. The vis at the airport is currently down to 3/4SM which will definitely accumulate, especially considering this is now a low density snow. Will be interesting to see how much accumulates overnight.

No snow here in Orchard Park, just mostly cloudy skies with a temp of 23F.

The 00z NAM is a little more robust regarding QPF with tomorrow night's little event...now depositing upwards of 0.30" liquid equivalent over northern Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties. Boundary layer winds become a little too weak to support bands that will penetrate much beyond the immediate lakeshore...but there's a little more than just lake effect going on here (note the small disturbance which has prompted winter wx advisories across northern Wisconsin tonight). Within the true lake band, there could be a seeder feeder effect from the mid-level clouds associated with the small synoptic disturbance overhead.

I was telling my brother about that event today - I don't remember exactly when it was, but I do remember hearing about it. I think as much as 8" of super fluffy snow may have accumulated near the airport! These events always intrigue me.

I wouldn't expect 6" or 8" tonight, but the Georgian Bay streamer does appear to have taken up residence across the immediate northern/eastern suburbs of Buffalo, including the airport. The vis at the airport is currently down to 3/4SM which will definitely accumulate, especially considering this is now a low density snow. Will be interesting to see how much accumulates overnight.

No snow here in Orchard Park, just mostly cloudy skies with a temp of 23F.

Yeah, it really is weird how the perfect wind direction can setup very nice streamers across northern Erie county. Here in Hamburg we never get snow on a NW flow. Looks like the band has been stationary and intensifying a little bit as well.

4" from a synoptic storm and it's the top story on your local newscast. 3" from a Georgian Bay streamer and nobody takes notice. Gotta love it...

Anyway, no snow here in Orchard Park overnight. It'll be interesting to see how the mesolow feature evolves on Lake Erie this evening...the local workstation ETA out of BTV is cranking out 1.76" QPF in a 3-hour period over northern Chautauqua County this evening, which is clearly overdone but I wouldn't be shocked if this turns into an advisory event for the immediate lakeshore. Tough call on the northward extent of the meaningful snowfall this evening, but southern Erie County could get in on the act as well. I doubt the Buffalo metro area sees anything of significance.

yeh the thing remained stationary there for couple hours,picked 2.5" at my house..

Awesome, surprise events like that are the best. ^_^

Snow has started here with big fluffy flakes.

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST FRIDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECTSNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST FRIDAY.* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN ERIE...CHAUTAUQUA AND CATTARAUGUS COUNTIES  WITH THE HIGHEST ACCUMULATIONS NEAR THE LAKE SHORE AND ALONG  I-90/NYS THRUWAY CORRIDOR.* TIMING...THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.* HAZARDS...LAKE EFFECT SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...AN INCH OR LESS THIS AFTERNOON...3 TO 6 INCHES  TONIGHT CLOSER TO THE LAKE...AND AN INCH OR LESS FRIDAY.

Ha, the "coating" I reported a half hour ago is actually more than 1.5" now that I've actually measured. It's amazing how quickly this super fluffy snow piles up. Long live LES!

Snowing nicely again here,do you think we can get at least 2 inches out of this one before it moves south? :santa:

Archived