• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central Pennsylvania Late Summer-Fall 2013

I always thought how amazing it would have been to begin at PSU in fall '92. You would have gone through 3 of the top 4 winters in at least the past 30 years including two 25"+ blizzards back to back! I hadn't even thought about Andrew thrown in there too during your first week of classes. What a great time to be a weather weenie undergrad!

attachicon.gifpost-1406-0-63862200-1352303330.jpg

I, for one, can't wait to transition through fall. The foliage changes here are way more intense than back in the Philly area where I grew up.

What do you all think about the timing of the first snowflakes of the season? This will be my 7th fall in State College, and I think there have been flakes 5 of the last 6 Octobers (not to mention TWO accumulating snowfalls!) 

Throw out your guesses for first flakes for a few places:

Bradford: 10/14

Johnstown: 10/14

State College: 10/22

Harrisburg: 11/3

:snowman:

I work in Rider (although we are being moved all the way out with the cows at USB I so Legal Services can have our space...thanks Sandusky, Spanier, Curly and Schultz) and the NWS was two floors above me before they moved to IP. 

There were actually three accumulating snows during that period (six years). I totally agree with you on the turn of seasons here. If you get an opportunity, the drive over Skytop is wonderful during leaf time...the point coming from SC and down the hill where the hill ends is really nice for whatever reason. Although I already see some trees turning on Bald Eagle Ridge. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. It really is amazing how different things were even 15-20 years ago. I bet it really made you appreciate the internet and the advance of technology as a whole! I kinda wish I had experienced the world of meteorology back then.

I have only known Accuweather to be out by Science Park road (which I'm sure wasn't even a road in the 90s), and the NWS over at Innovation Park. 

The only transition I experienced here was going from the "analog" e-wall my freshman year to the beautiful monitor-filled e-wall that the department boasts today. When I tell the younger students about what it used to be, they seem fascinated. That's how I feel about what you described. I'd love to see some sort of "PSU Meteorology Through the Years" website or book. 

Anyway, back to the weather...I wouldn't change a thing about the week ahead!

It did. Heck, trying to pull off what we did in forecasts with a lot less technology took a lot more skill, and a lot of techniques that to be bluntly honest, a lot of the newer mets out here didn't have a clue what I was talking about. And taking the models as the word of god, imagine having someone do that with the NGM, LFM, and ETA 80km/40km as your main models; much less with today's that have resolutions as low as 4km.

but a book/website like that, they made a movie about that 2 years ago for the 75th Anniversary of the meteorology department and dedication of the Joel Meyers Weather Center (i just know it as the "weather station on 6th floor walker"). And to be bluntly honest, there are a lot of people my age and older there that are to this day surprised Dr Meyers' name is on that weather station for reasons i won't go into.

http://ploneprod.met.psu.edu/browse-by-audience/alumni-friends/meteorology-75th-anniversary-1/videos-and-photos-from-the-75th-anniversary

It did. Heck, trying to pull off what we did in forecasts with a lot less technology took a lot more skill, and a lot of techniques that to be bluntly honest, a lot of the newer mets out here didn't have a clue what I was talking about. And taking the models as the word of god, imagine having someone do that with the NGM, LFM, and ETA 80km/40km as your main models; much less with today's that have resolutions as low as 4km.

but a book/website like that, they made a movie about that 2 years ago for the 75th Anniversary of the meteorology department and dedication of the Joel Meyers Weather Center (i just know it as the "weather station on 6th floor walker"). And to be bluntly honest, there are a lot of people my age and older there that are to this day surprised Dr Meyers' name is on that weather station for reasons i won't go into.

http://ploneprod.met.psu.edu/browse-by-audience/alumni-friends/meteorology-75th-anniversary-1/videos-and-photos-from-the-75th-anniversary

heh

Very cool, thanks.

I actually have heard about the Dr. Meyers/Accuweather vs. PSU Met debacle. But hey, a $2,000,000 donation will get your name on anything regardless of the past.

Anyone interested in making a little competition out of the first flakes/inch of snow? I can put it together.

Dew point temperature down to 37 in State College!  What is the record low for Sept 6 and 7? From NWS NOWData page it has 40 and 38, anyone else have this too?

For the coop site in State College (since 1882),

September 6: 39°F

September 7: 37°F

Both set in 1984.

We have the Sikora effect down at MU. While happy valley may have actually some topographical thing against it. The sikora effect is pure witchcraft.

Demonic witchcraft at that!

Chilly morning just south of Mason-Dixon with a low of 49 degrees.  My tomatoes are done I think...no new blossoms and the fruit on the vine is ripening slower than normal.

Thanks Eskimo... Btw did those totals bust for 03, I remember have 19 inches imby.

I have learned that when you have a winter storm with a potent southern jet there are three forecast complications.

1. Numerical models, especially American guidance, forecasting too low of snowfall.  This has been the case in several significant east coast snow events (i.e.:  Blizzard of 1996, PD II, the storms of December 2009 & February 2010).
  2. There is a sharp northern cutoff of snowfall when the antecedent high pressure is observed to be 1035mb or greater.
  3. Mixing of ice pellets can occur further west than progged, especially within 150 miles of the coastline.  This occurred during the President's Day 2003 Storm when locations as far west as Coastesville and Lancaster, PA reported sleet.  In fact, the higher end forecast totals in Philadelphia never materialized because the sleet lasted longer than anticipated and cut down the totals.

Archived