• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What are your ideal summer temperatures?

Quincy

What are your ideal summer temperatures?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What's your ideal summer HIGH temperature?

• <70°
    • 70° to 79°
    • 80° to 89°
    • 90° to 99°
    • 100°+
  2. 2. What's your ideal summer LOW temperature?

• <50°
    • 50° to 59°
    • 60° to 69°
    • 70° to 79°
    • 80°+
  3. 3. What's your ideal summer dew-point temperature?

• <45°
    • 45° to 54°
    • 55° to 64°
    • 65° to 74°
    • 75°+

Most of us want seasons in seasons. My average highs are similar to yours, maxing out at 78F. If I were to take a composite, it would be 75/53 or so for July/August and that's exactly what I voted for.

Climo is 70s by day and 50s by night for SNE high terrain and NNE outside Champlain Valley...seasons as seasons.

My average has been 81/59 in the high heat of July.  It's 78/56 now.  I've never liked the "peak" of summer which is why I wait till the first week of August for things to start cooling off better.  Thankfully the pattern change came right at the peak of summer and has been nearly ideal for me.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the places I've lived, the summers in Tahoe were by far the best, so my choices here reflect average Tahoe summer weather.

Couldn't agree more!  

This month has been great.  Unfortunately I've been working so much I haven't really had a chance to appreciate it and when I have a day off it rains or I have just been too lethargic to do anything fun.  Hopefully it stays relatively dry for the next six weeks though as my schedule seems like it might normalize.

Considering the nature of this board this is not exactly earth shattering news.

Most of general public hates "seasons in seasons" though. Most would prefer 40s and no snow in the winter and 75-80 and no humidity in the summer.

The wx weenie crowd loves cold in winter but hates hot/humid in summer. 

Most of general public hates "seasons in seasons" though. Most would prefer 40s and no snow in the winter and 75-80 and no humidity in the summer.

The wx weenie crowd loves cold in winter but hates hot/humid in summer.

I think if I could see some more action wx wise I wouldn't mind it as much, but more often than not it ends with a whimper. I'd take NNE style storms any day.

I think if I could see some more action wx wise I wouldn't mind it as much, but more often than not it ends with a whimper. I'd take NNE style storms any day.

Yeah I agree with that. I also hate cold in the winter if it's not going to snow... I know I'm in the minority on that one. 

Yeah I agree with that. I also hate cold in the winter if it's not going to snow... I know I'm in the minority on that one.

I'm with you on that one....my patience runs very thin with a long stretch of below zero on the mountain with no snow.

I'd take a high of 25-30F in town and 10-25F on the mountain everyday all winter, haha. As I've gotten older I've found that real cold weather grows tiresome to work (err ski) outside in all day. 14 degrees is the optimal snowmaking temperature, so there's really no reason to go below zero.

I'm actually not very fond of cold with no snow. I like the cold if there is already a lot of snow on the ground...but bare ground and 10F temps is putrid.

I don't think you are as in the minority as you think. At least when it comes to bare ground and cold. Either that or almost no snow on ground. January 2004 wasn't really enjoyable at all for me...we had about a 2 inch snow pack the whole time and just insane bitter cold. The cold was "impressive" and it was interesting to track no doubt, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if we had a foot of snow on the ground or at least got a 10" snowstorm in between the outbreaks to shake it up a bit.

I'm actually not very fond of cold with no snow. I like the cold if there is already a lot of snow on the ground...but bare ground and 10F temps is putrid.

I don't think you are as in the minority as you think. At least when it comes to bare ground and cold. Either that or almost no snow on ground. January 2004 wasn't really enjoyable at all for me...we had about a 2 inch snow pack the whole time and just insane bitter cold. The cold was "impressive" and it was interesting to track no doubt, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if we had a foot of snow on the ground or at least got a 10" snowstorm in between the outbreaks to shake it up a bit.

I'm with you guys on that.

Just like 92/74 isn't enjoyable unless it includes a massive severe weather outbreak.

10/-5 is not much fun unless snow is involved.

Just like 92/74 isn't enjoyable unless it includes a massive severe weather outbreak.

10/-5 is not much fun unless snow is involved.

Winter really sucks when there is no snow...that's pretty much the bottom line. I hate all winter weather without snow...though I'll take a 36F high over a 10F high if there's no snow involved.

I don't like torches in winter because those patterns prevent any shot at snow occurring unless its a "relative" torch...like -2C 850 temps that produce a 37F high when its sunny but is cold enough for snow as soon as any precip comes in.

While I prefer cold weather any season, the thing I despise most id sensible weather. I can't think of any day that I'd prefer it sunny, if fact I'm going to a water park on Sunday and I hope we get a tornado in the slides area, a hurricane by the wave pool and a freak blizzard by the lazy river!

I'm one of the odd folks that enjoys a really cold stretch, snow or no snow.  I love snow but I also love a good cold outbreak.  I also don't mind a spare hot/humid day because it comes with the territory, but not for weeks on end like we had.  I'd prefer 70s/50s in summer just as I'd prefer 25/5 in the winter but would enjoy a 0/-20 type day.  It is better with a good snow pack though.

Not sure why the NNE preference, as SNE seems to get stronger tornados and at least as much svr TS.  That opinion is colored by my experience - in 40 yr living in Maine, the hacienda has seen svr once (3/4" hail, 5/77 in Ft.Kent, and I was in the woods where it barely rained) and probably a 2nd (straight line gust about 60, 6/06 at my present location) plus a bunch of near misses.  Underwhelming.

Unlike many, I enjoy the cold even without big snow, though more snow is always better.  Jan 2004 was low snow here, compared to avg, but having 6 days with max 1F or colder was memorable, as was the day with aft high of -11.  (It was -8 at my 9 PM obs the prev evening, so that's my recorded high, same as for midnight-obs Farmington.  However, that -8 was tied for 3rd coldest max in 120 yr records there.  Very braggable!)  Disclosure:  My agency's budget is funded mostly from timber harvested from the public lands we manage, so winter cold is good, snow or no.

Not sure why the NNE preference, as SNE seems to get stronger tornados and at least as much svr TS. That opinion is colored by my experience - in 40 yr living in Maine, the hacienda has seen svr once (3/4" hail, 5/77 in Ft.Kent, and I was in the woods where it barely rained) and probably a 2nd (straight line gust about 60, 6/06 at my present location) plus a bunch of near misses. Underwhelming.

Unlike many, I enjoy the cold even without big snow, though more snow is always better. Jan 2004 was low snow here, compared to avg, but having 6 days with max 1F or colder was memorable, as was the day with aft high of -11. (It was -8 at my 9 PM obs the prev evening, so that's my recorded high, same as for midnight-obs Farmington. However, that -8 was tied for 3rd coldest max in 120 yr records there. Very braggable!) Disclosure: My agency's budget is funded mostly from timber harvested from the public lands we manage, so winter cold is good, snow or no.

OceanStWx would love to answer you on this one. There is no question NNE as a whole sees more severe. The fact that you are closer to the westerlies an associate atmospheric disturbances allows or stronger convection in general. Areas like the Berks and western CT are probably on par with NNE, but the same cant really be said east of the CT river.

OceanStWx would love to answer you on this one. There is no question NNE as a whole sees more severe. The fact that you are closer to the westerlies an associate atmospheric disturbances allows or stronger convection in general. Areas like the Berks and western CT are probably on par with NNE, but the same cant really be said east of the CT river.

Bingo. We can get away with severe on days that SNE just wastes away under the cap. High dews and nothing to do with them but lay in the garden at leaf level and roast.

I think part of it is the false perception of severe in New England in general. People think that because they don't get the storms, severe doesn't exist. But severe in general is so sparse compared to the Midwest or Plains that it is a real rarity to take a direct hit. Our severe is pulse and isolated storms usually, not region wide bow echoes at the like they get further west.

If you're near an initiation point like DEN, or OKC, or a favorable area for bows like DSM to ORD it's a lot more likely you'll see severe weather in a given season. At DVN I averaged about 5 wind events a warm season, but they also stretched from the border with MN to MO.

Just look at GYX

GYX6.gif

versus DVN

DVN6.gif

Archived