• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Remembering Snowpocalypse -- 12/18-12/19, 2009

Ian

Still have this warning in my email box to a bunch of contacts on 12/17/09, Got a ton of replies, including "why is weather channel still saying 3 to 6"".....lol!!!

1 to 2 FEET!!!!!!.... of snow now OR MORE possible for much of Va, SoMd, DC....... Through interior SNJ/Philly into North Jersey/NYC also. Mixing will keep totals down in Cape May County, NJ....and near the water in coastal areas of De/Md and NJ (could cut snow totals in half) Please see map below....wow!!! If this verifies this will turn out to be an ABSOLUTELY CRIPPLING STORM WITH HIGH WINDS, BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW....COASTAL FLOODING POSSIBLE....WHITE OUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES...POSSIBLE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS!!!....CRAZY THIS JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN AROUND HERE IN DECEMBER FOLKS.....WELL IT NEVER USED TO...LOL!!! Timing: Beginning around 4-8 pm Friday and lasting into SUNDAY MORNING!!! Prepare now.....don't wait....not sure what to do to prepare?....shoot me an email and I'll help you.....any questions do the same!!!

It was a great storm, I did pinch myself very hard when I saw the 1-2 feet forecasted....yeah, I'm a noob.

There was NO wind whatsoever, unlike the FEB 5 event, which was as windy as I've ever seen while it was snowing.....until FEB10!! :gun_bandana:

What a winter

Ur right about wind......but at about 2am Sat morning it was POURING SNOW!!!

Started here about an hour ago, to the year!!

I remember being in a local restaurant about 7pm, and people stilll saying "oh, "they're" callin for some snow ttomorrow i think".....just shook my head and smiled at my wife!....lol

Ur right about wind......but at about 2am Sat morning it was POURING SNOW!!!

Started here about an hour ago, to the year!!

I remember being in a local restaurant about 7pm, and people stilll saying "oh, "they're" callin for some snow ttomorrow i think".....just shook my head and smiled at my wife!....lol

Man I'll never forget last winter long as I live. Was doing treework for a neighbor the afternoon before the storm, he says "be careful, it will snow 6" tomorrow".... :rolleyes:

When those first bands started pouring in, I did some things that someone my age should not do.....

Man I'll never forget last winter long as I live. Was doing treework for a neighbor the afternoon before the storm, he says "be careful, it will snow 6" tomorrow".... :rolleyes:

When those first bands started pouring in, I did some things that someone my age should not do.....

During the "pouring snow", I just would go outside every half hour or so and let snow pummel my face!!!

During the "pouring snow", I just would go outside every half hour or so and let snow pummel my face!!!

Pretty much! Same here. I loved going outside in the late evening on Friday as it began to snow and accumulate. Next day, I was out taking pictures as often as possible, and taking measurements. I'm sure the neighbors were wondering who the fool was walking around with a yardstick (all in the name of science, ya know!).

Perhaps one of the coolest things about that storm is it was the first truly major event since Feb. 2003...a long time coming, and it was very exciting to finally break that drought. Even for this area, 7 years between "big storms" is kind of a long time. And by major, I'm talking widespread double-digit amounts (10-12") or more in the metro area (even as measured at DCA!). We certainly had some good moderate or better events in the intervening time, but also just missed on some or ended up with a lot less than originally thought (Feb. 2007 comes to mind, lots of sleet/ice when it looked for so long like we'd get hammered...and Feb. 2006, we got 8-10" or something like that, but that storm ended up hitting areas to the north like Philly and NYC a lot harder...and in Jan-Feb 2005 we had some chances that ended up being a lot less, though it was cold I recall).

This whole storm was unbelievable during the week leading up, during the storm, and even after. It's a lot of fun reading through this tread though - good memories for sure.

15444_1281777158810_1061513340_905984_3919194_n.jpg

About an hour after the snow started

15444_1281777238812_1061513340_905986_1332613_n.jpg

It wouldn't be a storm without people raiding the grocery stores

15444_1282627380065_1061513340_908995_4549783_n.jpg

During one of the heavier bands on the 19th - the farthest building in the distance is 600 - 700 feet away

15444_1282627620071_1061513340_909001_7856519_n.jpg

My car didn't go anywhere for a while

15444_1282628780100_1061513340_909030_4782446_n.jpg

15444_1282629220111_1061513340_909041_1091901_n.jpg

EPIC event for me. 30 hours straight of coverage. Around this time I think I was finally home and crashing asleep:

Extensive photos here:

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/winter/bydate/091219/091219pictures.html

At least the 30 hours did earn me some money. Not enough to make up for the 30 hours...but I made money (and still making it).

• 6 months later...

Great storm-- always a little bittersweet to me--

700 MB low was more north then progged.. After being modeled at 24 inches for 3 days, that last nudge just cut our qpf down to where Danville/Martinsvilee had less then an inch and we had about 1.2 inches (I measured 14.5 using every 6 hours, but max depth was 12.5 inches) Had about 15 minutes of sleet mixed too-- was funny cause it showed it perfectly on TWC radar.

12.5 inches is a great storm, but not the epic stuff you all had.

The 18 inch line was literally 20 miles NW of my house. :(

I liked this storm much more than the snowmageddon. It was light snow, so easy to shovel, and it was the first big snow since '03, so it was just special.

Snowmageddon was a nightmare in every regard. Lost the power at 3am and since my Security System's backup battery was low, the alarm started Screaming and I couldn't turn it off because there was no way to punch in the code :arrowhead:

I had friends over, and after 2 hours of listening to the siren I lost my temper and pulled the battery backup system out of the wall and cut the cable. Not to mention there were large tree limbs and even whole trees down all over the place on our street, so we couldn't even drive the SUV to somewhere with power. I never realized how heavy the snow was until I started shoveling Sunday, It took me 2 hours to clear out the Driveway and Steps, and I had already promised by elderly nieghbor that I'd shovel her driveway, so I was stuck with that as well.

Most memorable storm of my life because one of my best friends was getting married and couldn't cancel. I ended up having to drive him and a packed truckload of crap from Rockville to Columbia. Started the drive @ noon and got to the hotel @ 3. I have never in my life driven in such bad conditions. My suburban handled it like an absolute champ. 495 and 95 were a complete free for all. It snowed its eyeballs out the entire trip and there was 12-18 of snow on the interstate by the time I got on 95. I weaved around so many stranded people that it was ridiculous.

There were so many cars stuck that it was surreal. I plowed through every obstacle and got the groom there with enough time to relax before his big day. Honestly, I had a blast driving and loved every minute of it. Then I was treated like a celebrity the whole night at the wedding. Great storm!

• 5 months later...

This was one of those storms that truly sticks out in the long-range department. It wasn't quite as clear as Feb 2003 because it was happening very early in the season. I remember posting about the threat well in advance and talking with Will. Way out (month or more) I wasn't sure if the potential would be major or not because of mixing etc. As we got closer, the pattern just started screaming historic December snowstorm and I couldn't believe it (for the time of year).

Truly a remarkable event.