• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wind shear

Metsfan

I found this blog post on wunderground about wind shear calculation, and I tried to get the answer that he got, but for some reason I am having difficulties.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/24hourprof/comment.html?entrynum=24

I did this,  

sqrt( (40)^2 +(10)^2))=41 knots which is not the same as the what is in the posted example

Is the angle involved?

Thanks.

Vector addition and subtraction will have to use the law of cosines, given the two lengths of the vectors and an angle. Wind shear is a subtraction, so

subtraction:

R= squareroot(A^2 + B^2 - 2ABcos(theta))

So this depends greatly on the angle theta, if A and B are close to the same length.  If one of them is zero, it doesn't depend on the angle.

squareroot(40^2+10^2 - 2(40)(10)cos(50)) =  34.435

Vector addition and subtraction will have to use the law of cosines, given the two lengths of the vectors and an angle. Wind shear is a subtraction, so

subtraction:

So this depends greatly on the angle theta, if A and B are close to the same length.  If one of them is zero, it doesn't depend on the angle.

Thanks. I have one more question. Is the bulk vector difference the same as the bulk wind difference? The vector difference I think falls under the pythagorus theorem, and the wind difference is the is just subtracting the two values, because a couple of weeks ago I asked about the brn shear, and I am still trying to mathematically grasp the concept. I looked at this webpage http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/help/index.html to get more info, but it doesn't seem to help. Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

subtraction:

Hi, How did this person get an angle of 50?

Archived