Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foggy and 71...

The old wise-tale is that the number of foggy mornings in August equals the number of snow's this winter. We're off to a good start in that aspect.

Has it been a whole year already. Yep exactly.

Sigh. Looks like its time for a repost of my winter southern folklore.

Top Six Southern Winter Folklore Sayings

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter then average squirrels the next spring.

3. If it thunders in winter, 10 days later it will have happened 10 days ago.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

5. Snow that lays on the ground for more than three days is dirty.

6. A ring around the moon means your Lasik surgeon screwed up.

Pretty impressive ---  sitting outside tonight and seeing the sky light up with lightning flashes from up towards Yancyville/Roxboro - some 60 miles away to the NNW.

Saw that light show from southern Guilford County, was one of the most impressive I've seen in some time.

SPC bumps eastern NC to slight risk...kiss of death for storms most likely lol

PORTIONS OF THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION INTO THE ERN CAROLINAS...
CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT IS ALREADY UNDERWAY ACROSS THIS REGION --
PARTICULARLY ACROSS THE ERN CAROLINAS WHERE A VERY
MOIST/DESTABILIZING AIRMASS IS INDICATED. SUBTLE SHORT-WAVE
TROUGHING IS MOVING EWD ACROSS THE ERN CAROLINAS ATTM...WHICH
COMBINED WITH THE DESTABILIZING AIRMASS AND MODERATE MID-LEVEL FLOW
SUPPORTS AN UPGRADE TO SLIGHT RISK FOR EARLY AFTERNOON SEVERE
POTENTIAL. REF SWOMCD 1610 FOR ADDITIONAL SHORT-TERM DETAILS.

A few storms out there now but nothing really organized but along the NC/VA border things are really breaking down and a line could form and cross the area in the next several hours some pretty unstable parameters in place so we shall see but I 95 to the east could get hammered over the next 3-6 hrs.

Tru dat. Thank goodness I was able to finally spray for bugs and weeds.

I have a south facing deck with woods behind it and the change in sun angle is really noticable this week. Deck is mostly shaded once again. Fall is coming quickly now!

Sun is rising a minute later and setting a minute earlier each day in August here in the ATL.

0.00" of nothingness!

I think you have this backward, lol.  (I'm using lol as a proper noun here, not as an expression of my emotional response.  Or, do I need to capitalize the acronym if I use it in this manner?)

If you got 0 inches of nothingness, then you must have registered something in the gauge in order to not get nothing.  (Fun with double negatives!)  So, the more correct statement would have been that you registered 10,000 inches of nothingness.

:whistle:  :P

I think you have this backward, lol.  (I'm using lol as a proper noun here, not as an expression of my emotional response.  Or, do I need to capitalize the acronym if I use it in this manner?)

If you got 0 inches of nothingness, then you must have registered something in the gauge in order to not get nothing.  (Fun with double negatives!)  So, the more correct statement would have been that you registered 10,000 inches of nothingness.

:whistle:  :P

dew. I had dew and bird crap in my gauge.

Archived