• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

65/48 right now at the noon obs. Some clouds passing on by on the NNE wind.

The longer the heat up is pushed forward, the less intense it should be. Lost about 75 minutes of daylight since the Solstice.

Will see how this plays out... predicted upper air flow on Sunday and departures in Chicagoland for the 1-2 week range.

attachicon.gifwgnwx081313.pn

I dont really mind this weather... Spending the last week in Italy, where it was hot (including a 97 degree day in Rome) reminded me of how much I dislike intense heat. Windows open, lets runs this right to October.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just the annual lets call for a warm winter to rile the board. I always have an underlying concern we are due for several more stinker winters (we had one, 2011-12, after a 4 year snow blitz) but everything ive heard so far points to a decent to good winter.

We always hear its going to be a good winter. 2011-12 prime example of why caution should be used. The usual personal preference plays a role on what is considered to be a good winter. 

I dont really mind this weather... Spending the last week in Italy, where it was hot (including a 97 degree day in Rome) reminded me of how much I dislike intense heat. Windows open, lets runs this right to October.

Yeah really - let's do it!

Sounds intense. Was that kind of heat, humid?

Clouded up really good here now. Made it to 67° today. Lake was pretty choppy even up into WI.

Supposed to dip to 48 here tonight.  Excellent bonfire weather.

Speaking of a bonfire... was that gas pipeline explosion real close to you?

Can imagine that could have warmed the air up for a good distance around it!

---

Really chilly in northern WI, MN this morning!

The high at DTW was 69F todays, despite afternoon sunshine. This makes it the 3rd coldest high temp for August 13th (#1 is 66F in 1964, #2 is 68F in 1992).

Tomorrow's record low is 48F set in 1964, MOS has DTW at 51F (GFS) and 52F (NAM), so while 40s are a sure bet in the outlying areas, lets see if DTW can sneak a record in.

Speaking of a bonfire... was that gas pipeline explosion real close to you?

Can imagine that could have warmed the air up for a good distance around it!

---

Really chilly in northern WI, MN this morning!

attachicon.gif081313lows.png

Yeah it was on the north side of town.  The whole northern sky was lit up from the fire.  Apparently they could see it for 50+ miles in all directions.  They evacuated areas on the north side of town.  When it initially blew I thought it was thundering for a sec.  Sounded just like it.  Instinctively checked the radar on my phone and saw there was no precip anywhere near here.  Flames were shooting almost 200ft up into the air for several hours until they finally got the gas feed shut off. 

Temps really crashing here.  Down to 54 already.

Tried swimming last weekend in lake Erie just north of Pelee Island.... Water temp was down to 75, after these last few days I bet it is down closer to the 70 mark...

Looks like Pelee Island water temp is around 73.

St. Claire lake across the road peaked around 72 in July and it's down to 61  already.... way too cool to enjoy swimming.

As I was telling my mother yesterday, you really need above average summers to enjoy the water in Michigan. An average summer, which we have had so far, isn't ideal for swimming. Obviously the last 3 weeks have been below average, but as a whole the summer has been average.

Archived