• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2013-14 Discussion

Hoosier

We are a long way away from winter but not too early to discuss it. Gonna keep it simple and talk about everyone's favorite index, ENSO. El Nino has failed to materialize so far and model forecasts are not optimistic about it happening in time for winter, so we are probably looking at another neutral winter. So, here are the winters since 1950 that are officially classified as neutral based on ONI, with a W or C representing which side of neutral they were.

56-57 C

59-60 C

60-61 near 0

61-62 C

62-63 C

66-67 C

67-68 C

78-79 C

79-80 W

80-81 C

81-82 C

85-86 C

89-90 W

90-91 W

92-93 W

93-94 W

96-97 C

01-02 C

03-04 W

12-13 C

Out of these years, I took a peek at what the multi-year neutrals were like around here and most were pretty run of the mill with some exceptions. Anyhow, it's just one index.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really just want a front loaded winter. Lets kick this off Dec 1st and taper it back starting March 1st.

I want a true meteorologic winter, last year we lost the first month of met winter and ate away into met spring about a month deep.

It will be interesting to see if the western ridge eastern trough pattern keeps on going until then and whether the colder Arctic this summer will have any effects.

Last year's back loaded winter was nice, but it was awfully boring here up until late January. Right before Christmas is a good time to get this rolling.

I would always take another 2007-2008 winter!

I'm really itching to have a snowy November. The last time we had a decent November was 2008, and I can't even recall the last time we had a true November snowstorm in this region (lake-effect not included.) I know it's still really unlikely but it would make me pretty happy. If not, I'd be content with having a good storm in the first half of December. At the very least, I hope we don't have to wait until December 20th for winter to actually start and have it not end until mid-April like last year.

Wouldn't mind a 98/99 again. That January was something else.

Meh.

Aside from those two weeks in January when the blizzard hit, that winter was a disaster snowstorm-wise. Still, it was worth it just to have something like the Blizzard of '99 happen. It was also warm, which was a plus.

Until late last year, I thought the cfs always torched in the long range. Certainly I've never seen it this cold in the long range.

Maybe, I don't know. I don't look at it much, but in the past...it seems to always have been cool biased. Regardless, I don't think it has a ton of skill in the long range. Though, it seems that its "very short term" monthly forecasts have been decent.

I don't think the CFS is capable of showing a torch at this range.

Oh it has. Remember this is the revised CFS. The old CFS tended to be always on the cooler side but not the newer one. STILL I wouldn't put too much faith in such long range models. NOW if it keeps showing the same ( for a few month's ) then it may be something to take note of.

At this moment in time i am liking the odd's of a colder and snowier ( for some ) winter. See precip patterns, +QBO, and ENSO but ofcourse enso can still change granted it is looking less and less likely we go mod/strong Nina or Nina. This current summer pattern is not bad either as it should time well with a warmer fall and colder winter. Ofcourse the warmer fall is kinda shaky as warmer stretches have been much more short lived for a number of month's now unlike the past several years which saw relentless above normal temps. Odd's favor the colder outcome but yeah we know how that works too and thus best to keep tracking everything else. Also very nice to see the Arctic cooling off nicely but ofcourse this could change later on but if it continues and stays colder then yeah.

Oh it has. Remember this is the revised CFS. The old CFS tended to be always on the cooler side but not the newer one. STILL I wouldn't put too much faith in such long range models. NOW if it keeps showing the same ( for a few month's ) then it may be something to take note of.

At this moment in time i am liking the odd's of a colder and snowier ( for some ) winter. See precip patterns, +QBO, and ENSO but ofcourse enso can still change granted it is looking less and less likely we go mod/strong Nina or Nina. This current summer pattern is not bad either as it should time well with a warmer fall and colder winter. Ofcourse the warmer fall is kinda shaky as warmer stretches have been much more short lived for a number of month's now unlike the past several years which saw relentless above normal temps. Odd's favor the colder outcome but yeah we know how that works too and thus best to keep tracking everything else. Also very nice to see the Arctic cooling off nicely but ofcourse this could change later on but if it continues and stays colder then yeah.

Yeah, that sounds right. CFS...and the upcoming winter. We'll hope for the best.

Yeah, that sounds right. CFS...and the upcoming winter. We'll hope for the best.

I don't want to be greedy but it would be nice if we could get another 10 incher this winter, preferably before late March. It happened in 06-07 and 07-08 so we know it's possible in b2b winters.

I don't want to be greedy but it would be nice if we could get another 10 incher this winter, preferably before late March. It happened in 06-07 and 07-08 so we know it's possible in b2b winters.

If things would've broke right with the Jan 31-Feb 1, 2008 storm, it could've been three in the 06-07 and 07-08 winters. Actually four if we dream a little...but March 2008, well you know.

If things would've broke right with the Jan 31-Feb 1, 2008 storm, it could've been three in the 06-07 and 07-08 winters. Actually four if we dream a little...but March 2008, well you know.

Yeah, I always forget about that Jan 31 storm. That was a nice run that could've been legendary.

Not a huge fan of this winter. We are due for a global pattern change over North America and I could see that run right through winter. I think last year was letdown in some respects to March, a ton of potential, just never came together. The PAC ridging this April-July is what we need in the winter.

I can't say I disagree in a sense but so far it has been ridging out West, not over the PAC so if anything I think the pattern now wouldn't be favorable in the winter, as most of the stuff this summer has been NW flow events which in the winter would be a parade of clippers. I'd argue the prospect of troughing out West and Southeast ridging this winter would be a pattern change from what we have currently and this would be more favorable for a snowier winter albeit probably near average to slightly above average.

Archived