• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Woods were fun, but could still use a bit more snow, which is remarkable considering they got 30" earlier in the week.  It must have been pretty grim before the big storm.

Despite most of New England seemingly having a banner snow year and relatively large snowpack, central to northern Greens (Sugarbush to Jay Peak) is easily running the lowest relatively to normal of anywhere in New England.  We finally are at a "near normal" snowpack... but prior to that storm it was well below normal.  Its funny how everyone seems to have a well above normal snowpack right now, the mountains are just finally tickling normal.  Taking one for the team this season so far, haha.  At least the woods are easily skiable now though, but you're right, could use another foot to really bust it wide open.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a link to the story. A lot of lucky people saved by a family's dog.

http://www.wcax.com/story/24741949/condos-on-fire-near-sugarbush-ski-resort

We were skiing at Sugarbush the morning of the blaze (but not staying anywhere nearby, fortunately).  It was surreal to be carrying on business as usual (recreation as usual, actually) with this enormous plume of smoke billowing skyward just a few hundred yards away.  When we first approached the mountain, I briefly mistook the smoke for snowmaking in a very strange place.

So glad that everyone is OK.

Despite most of New England seemingly having a banner snow year and relatively large snowpack, central to northern Greens (Sugarbush to Jay Peak) is easily running the lowest relatively to normal of anywhere in New England.  We finally are at a "near normal" snowpack... but prior to that storm it was well below normal.  Its funny how everyone seems to have a well above normal snowpack right now, the mountains are just finally tickling normal.  Taking one for the team this season so far, haha.  At least the woods are easily skiable now though, but you're right, could use another foot to really bust it wide open.

attachicon.gifgendateplot.php3.png

Woods were definitely skiable, but the popular places to turn were thin, and occasionally something would reach up and try to grab a ski in the untracked spots.  In contrast, the woods at Mount Snow offered carefree skiing last Thursday despite similar seasonal totals.  I'm guessing the steeper average pitch in the northern Greens requires a bit more snow.

What surprised me most (in a positive way) was the lack of crowds, especially on Monday.  We never waited more than five minutes for a chair (though the lodge was quite busy).  I don't know if it was lighter than usual, or if my expectations were off.

http://www.wcax.com/story/24787414/shiffrin-of-burke-mountain-academy-wins-olympic-gold

Youngest woman to win the Slalom gold medal... 18-year-old Burke Mountain Academy skier Mikaela Shiffrin took gold today!  Lots of Vermont representatives in the Olympics this year.  Our Stowe snowboarder Ty Walker was injured and came up short in her slopestyle events...but she's only 16 years old, plenty more Olympics coming up for her.

Wow, I want to find that. Wcax news you say?

Yes. I feel dumb because I searched their site so I could link it but I couldn't find it. Ugh.

Just caught Mikaela Shiffrin's gold medal slalom run. Holy crap, she almost lost it. Another winter Olympian with Vermont ties, she's a Burke Mt. Academy product

Yes. I feel dumb because I searched their site so I could link it but I couldn't find it. Ugh.

Just caught Mikaela Shiffrin's gold medal slalom run. Holy crap, she almost lost it. Another winter Olympian with Vermont ties, she's a Burke Mt. Academy product

I can't believe she kept it in control during that second run. When watching the replay that one mistake looked fatal

Very poised.

Just noticed that Mount Snow is getting clobbered by a squall right now based on their mountain cams.  Hopefully, they can rack up a bit in persistent squalls over the next couple of days.

They had a surprise 4" yesterday so they're doing pretty well. This is a good setup for them... again tomorrow. 

Not a weather thread so I don't feel like I'm violating my own rule.

SR skied great Wed/Thursday of last week.  Friday was wet.  Saturday and Sunday were hard packed and extremely fast in the mornings before it softened.  There were some significant ice patches after the rain and many of the glades were roped off although they still show as open on the trail report.   Saturday was fairly crowded, Sunday was empty and a ton of fun. 

Highlight of the weekend was how much better the foggy goggle food continues to get.  They need to dump some money into that place in terms of ventilation during the peak hours, but it's now becoming a pretty decent place to eat.

Archived