joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'07-'08 is among the all time greats in NNE...on par with years like '70-'71.

Yeah I guess I didn't realize it at the time.  The photos I have from that winter are incredible. 

This was a friend's house here in Stowe on January 28, 2008.... somehow I think January 28th this year will look a little different.

And there was still two months of winter left... but that snowpack looks sick for down in town.  That's no fake snow.  There's a lot of QPF in that, you can just tell it has some heft to it.

I was just looking through photos from past seasons...man was 2007-2008 an epic winter.  We were skiing the trees and hiking above treeline backcountry in like mid-December that year.  I've got photos from almost every day of skiing that season and judging from the photos, it looked like it snowed like 4-5 times a week that winter, lol.  8" here, 14" there, 3" followed by 5", etc. 

This was the Christmas snowpack in late December 2007...Christmas!  Mansfield had over 100" that December at the summit.

attachicon.gifIMG_0974_edited.jpg

And this photo was taken in January 2nd, 2008.  Just amazing the differences between right now this season, and some past seasons that were on the other end of the spectrum.  Roughly 370 inches that 07-08 winter.

attachicon.gifIMG_0124_edited.JPG

That last one is faaaantastic.   I remember hiking the ridge at Sugarbush from Heaven's gate over to the top of Castlerock on a weekday powderfest right before it opened for the season and it was like that.  Normally I stick to Rumble woods, but that day it was waist deep untracked on Lift Line.  I'll never forget it I hope.

Ah 07-08. I remember heading up too attitash that January and the snow was like a little higher than waist deep. Just awesome.

I went snowmobiling last January in the Crawford notch area, just beautiful first of all, second of all I stepped off the trail and was in snow that was halfway between my waist and chest. Just insane.

Yeah, it makes me realize just how great of a winter that was.  I didn't fully appreciate it at the time I think, unfortunately.  That was back 5 years ago when we were in a stretch of pretty decent winters and I figured this was just how it was in northern Vermont.

This was right near where I live now, and this photo was December 18th, 2008.  Freakin' mid-December and town was already getting buried and didn't look back after that.

Also found some sweet ice storm photos from an early March 2008 ice storm...

It isn't an ice storm until you've reached the 6" mark for clear solid ice. 

Ok I'm done... have to stop looking through that winter's photos.  Making me jealous of how much awesome winter weather we had that winter. 

As good as 07/08 was, 00/01 is still the gold standard for me.  

But yeah Ginx is right.  Nearly every winter has an epic stretch... 09/10 had the snowicane in S VT and E NY, 11/12 had the huge upslope bluebird... Don't recall 01/02 as well but I'm sure there were a few winners in there too.  

But yeah Ginx is right. Nearly every winter has an epic stretch... 09/10 had the snowicane in S VT and E NY, 11/12 had the huge upslope bluebird... Don't recall 01/02 as well but I'm sure there were a few winners in there too.

talk about good timing caught Feb and March 01, seven feet later. Most amazing sight was on the way home the four feet of cake on RT 16 MTS near the Auto road, that and the burned down Alpine XC ski shop. The white was surreal. We had to drive two hours to get gas due to the power outages. Almost ran out, big lesson there.

But yeah Ginx is right. Nearly every winter has an epic stretch... 09/10 had the snowicane in S VT and E NY, 11/12 had the huge upslope bluebird... Don't recall 01/02 as well but I'm sure there were a few winners in there too.

believe it or not but skiing a week in 80s and near 90 is a top life experience for me. Winter is what you make of it.

But yeah Ginx is right.  Nearly every winter has an epic stretch... 09/10 had the snowicane in S VT and E NY, 11/12 had the huge upslope bluebird... Don't recall 01/02 as well but I'm sure there were a few winners in there too.  

00-'01 was nearly as much snow but colder than '07-'08. The '07-'08 snow pack may have had a bit more water in it than '00-'01, though '00-'01 was no slouch. '00-'01 had a longer season too...the synoptic snows continued very heavy into late March followed by a cold first half of April. We didn't lose snow pack in open fields even down in ORH until about April 14th or so...which is pretty ridiculous. It was in the woods and sheltered spots until at least April 21st or 22nd when a huge torch started. 

'70-'71 was similar...extremely prolific and long lasting inbto the spring.

00-'01 was nearly as much snow but colder than '07-'08. The '07-'08 snow pack may have had a bit more water in it than '00-'01, though '00-'01 was no slouch. '00-'01 had a longer season too...the synoptic snows continued very heavy into late March followed by a cold first half of April. We didn't lose snow pack in open fields even down in ORH until about April 14th or so...which is pretty ridiculous. It was in the woods and sheltered spots until at least April 21st or 22nd when a huge torch started. 

'70-'71 was similar...extremely prolific and long lasting inbto the spring.

What did you get on 3/6/01?  2 feet?  It was probably 20-24 in Amherst IIRC.

I'm pretty sure that in addition to the whopping totals from synoptic storms in Feb and March (as you and Ginx mentioned) on huge +SD east flow, northerly aspects, Stowe/Smuggs/Burke/and Jay, cashed big time on prolonged upslope events into April.  My best day ever (Jay) 4/7/01 had like 10-12" on upslope right around or just after the peak of the base.   Only tree tops were visible in places and the face above the tram felt like the Palisades at Squaw.  Big air was possible in areas that it's hard to imagine would ever be.   Without pulling up patterns from the reanalysis I'd bet that blocking had mid-level lows stalling out in E QC throwing moisture back.

Snowmaking was dramatically upgraded last year and you are quite wrong about 'no steep terrain'. It's the steepest terrain south of Magic (maaaybe a couple runs at Mt. Snow, but it's debatable) and steeper than most anywhere in NH except Cannon and possibly Wildcat.

The knock on it is the east-west running valley sucks for natural snow. The lifts are slow, but there are never any lines, meaning you get a lot of vert. Also, no long run outs... the lift goes up not across.

On a rare excellent deep powder day with good base the woods can hold their head up with the best of Vermont. Cliffs, rocks, stumps... lots of air to be had and hair raising terrain, including in the backcountry onto rt. 8a.

Most of all though it's the vibe. It's like MRG or Magic in that respect. A skier's crowd, laid back, always smiling, not rushed, no attitudes. Great chairlift conversation. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the Killington's, the Okemo's... how much money they put into the snowmaking and skiing deep into spring. But there is a bond with the local hill full of locals that you don't get with those places.

. Ugh unless you ARE a local at one of those places. Killington has an awesome group of locals and regulars. Check it out in April and May and you'll get it.

What did you get on 3/6/01?  2 feet?  It was probably 20-24 in Amherst IIRC.

I'm pretty sure that in addition to the whopping totals from synoptic storms in Feb and March (as you and Ginx mentioned) on huge +SD east flow, northerly aspects, Stowe/Smuggs/Burke/and Jay, cashed big time on prolonged upslope events into April.  My best day ever (Jay) 4/7/01 had like 10-12" on upslope right around or just after the peak of the base.   Only tree tops were visible in places and the face above the tram felt like the Palisades at Squaw.  Big air was possible in areas that it's hard to imagine would ever be.   Without pulling up patterns from the reanalysis I'd bet that blocking had mid-level lows stalling out in E QC throwing moisture back.

About 2 feet in ORH...22" officially, but it was a bit more than that. Probably closer to 25-26". There was another 7" storm 3 days later....then a 3-4" incher on the 26th and then a paste job on the 30th. Also only one of two Marches where ORH failed to reach 50F...so the snow didn't go anywhere.

. Ugh unless you ARE a local at one of those places. Killington has an awesome group of locals and regulars. Check it out in April and May and you'll get it.

Had a good day May 26th last year :)

All I can tell you is I make the commute to the big hills up north more than most, but in no way does it take away from a gnarly little gem with a different outlook on life.

Anyone been to Wildcat this year.....I see a few peeps on their facebook page complaining of lack of snow making (same owners as Attitash) ....shocking. Anyway well see, Wildcat has never been a early opening mountain and they usually aren't on my radar till later in year and have been my fav spring skiing destination for last cpl years.

The local nickname for that place is "The Tit"

???  I've been associated with the place one way or another for a few decades and I've never heard that before. :unsure:

Do I even want to know why?

The Bump or Thunder Bump are the "regular" nicknames.  Will they have anything left?  Hmmm, maybe kinda sorta but may not be worth paying for although according to my kids what's on the ground there now is glacial so it might hold up but I wouldn't hold my breath.  Look at this before you leave the house -  http://thunderridgeski.com/mountain-cam.html

I hope that MLK storm that's being spoken about turns out to be worthwhile, I'm ready to get out and make some turns.  I totally agree with the mid to late January historical start to the season.  I always considered it a bonus if there was reasonable snow before New Years and if I didn't really get the bug until about now that was typical.  At least now there are fatbikes so I can get my fall/early winter yayas out :clap:

???  I've been associated with the place one way or another for a few decades and I've never heard that before. :unsure:

The Bump or Thunder Bump are the "regular" nicknames.  Will they have anything left?  Hmmm, maybe kinda sorta but may not be worth paying for although according to my kids what's on the ground there now is glacial so it might hold up but I wouldn't hold my breath.  Look at this before you leave the house -  http://thunderridgeski.com/mountain-cam.html

I hope that MLK storm that's being spoken about turns out to be worthwhile, I'm ready to get out and make some turns.  I totally agree with the mid to late January historical start to the season.  I always considered it a bonus if there was reasonable snow before New Years and if I didn't really get the bug until about now that was typical.  At least now there are fatbikes so I can get my fall/early winter yayas out :clap:

Our kids are almost 5 (twin boys) This will be their first time on skiis...rented season rentals to make things easy... We're just looking to get a lesson in this weekend, so hopefully they will be open for that.  Agree though, doubt I'd pay for a lift ticket for my wife and I given the expected lousy conditions, so might just do the lesson and go home unless they are really clamoring for more.  Figure we'll start easy and work our way up.

How's their snowmaking there? 

For the record SR was up to I think 111 or 115 trails before the rain/torch.  They dropped to 74, back to 79 with 3 closed due to the race.  BUT predictions that these places would get back to where they were fell by the wayside.  They lost a lot of ground and didn't attempt to build it back with this incoming pattern instead focusing on existing trails.

Our kids are almost 5 (twin boys) This will be their first time on skiis...rented season rentals to make things easy... We're just looking to get a lesson in this weekend, so hopefully they will be open for that.  Agree though, doubt I'd pay for a lift ticket for my wife and I given the expected lousy conditions, so might just do the lesson and go home unless they are really clamoring for more.  Figure we'll start easy and work our way up.

How's their snowmaking there? 

That's where I taught my twin daughters to ski also.  I bet I have a whole bunch of stuff that you need, skis/boots, etc that no longer fit.  I never bought girly stuff for them so color won't be an issue.  PM me about it some time.

The one thing the place does have going for it is what a good learning area it is so you should be good to go.  Their snowmaking?  Well umm, it's there.  In conjunction with the high quality grooming the surface is at least white (most of the time when it's not grey.)

Archived