Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah corn is doing well here. Full 2 feet high now - some plants a bit higher. The mosquitoes the last few days have been irritating. 

At 80° but with a SE wind again. Monday looks the warmest with 86° in the forecast. 

Edit: Lake breeze is going, but it is a humid lake breeze at that!

Cyclone-

Corn here is between knee with some almost waist...

Yeah definitely a huge improvement over last year at this time when everything was frying.  Even the soybeans that were planted in fields that were flooded in April are coming along nicely, although a bit behind schedule.  If this weather continues they should end up having a normal, or even an above normal crop in those once flooded fields. 

Up to 85 here with some fair-weather cu popping.

Madison IN. Annual hydroplane racing event postponed yesterday and today Sat.  The Ohio rose 3 feet in 12 hrs. Thursday and levels are the highest in 40 years of Regatta racing, being ten feet higher than normal for this time.  Although officially not near flood stage yet at Madison it is unsafe for the hydroplanes and some access areas are already flooded.  Officials hope to get some racing in Sunday but that is subject to review and the entire event might have to be cancelled or rescheduled.

Models advertising dewpoints well into the 70s and flirting with 80 around here Mon-Wed. In my research a while back, I found 28 days with 80 degree dewpoints at LAF since 1973. 27 of those 28 occurred in July/August with 20 occurring in July so this is certainly a favored time of year given the added boost from evapotranspiration. This is the kind of setup you want with rather weak low level flow to help prevent a strong mix out but even if it doesn't happen, it's still going to be muggy as all get out.

It's been an incredibly wet year in southwestern ON so far this year (not like this comes as a surprise.) Since January, Windsor has tallied 22.9" of precipitation, not including tonight's deluge. More than 7.3" of that has been since June 1st. Windsor averages about 32.0" of precipitation a year, and it averages at least another 18" for the rest of the year, so we're well on our way. 

Definitely won't come anywhere close to being as wet as 2011 was, but that year is in a league all on its own in terms of record-breaking precipitation. We had 62.2" of precipitation that year, with 20.7" falling from September - November alone. I'm not sure if I'll get to experience a year like that in the Midwest again.

June 29: 71º

June 30: 75º

July 1: 75º

July 2: 69º

July 3: 75º

July 4: 78º

July 5: 82º

July 6: 73º

High temperatures for the past 8 days in the LAF. I mean it's sort of payback for last summer, which is cool for a card carrying heat hater such as myself...

...but some warmer temps would be nice. And sunshine too. Nothing crazy...but you know, warm enough to go swimming and such. Be careful what I wish for I guess.  

My parents claim a deluge of 2.4" in their rain guage at Toledo earlier today.

I believe it. Absolute monsoonal rains up here this evening. Was at a bbq that had to be moved indoors. No thunder...just HEAVY rain ONCE AGAIN targeting primarily downriver. i only hope this luck lasts in winter lol. Just like the other day....we obliterated the rest of SE MI rain-wise. Picked up 1.60" imby (Wyandotte wunderground station showed 1.88") which puts me at 3.80" for July and 10.14" since June 1st. DTW only picked up 0.27" so they are at 1.77" for the month and 7.78" since June 1st. Still well above normal but an unusual difference for such a short distance.

...but some warmer temps would be nice. And sunshine too. Nothing crazy...but you know, warm enough to go swimming and such. Be careful what I wish for I guess.  

Forecaster Ryan at IND mentioned the gloomy pattern yesterday. Day 17 today...DAY 16 IN A ROW WITH RAINFALL AND CONVECTION SOMEWHERE ACROSS THEFORECAST AREA.

Archived