Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey DDL, Have you ever been to Wildcat Mountain State Park? I'm going camping up there this weekend and was just wondering if you have any tips or things to see in the area since it is somewhat near you. It's looking somewhat warm this weekend so some kayaking may be in order on the Kickapoo River. 

I've driven through there, but never stayed there...  My only issue would be to see what the river is doing there...I would imagine the water levels drop very quickly on that river...  I know people that have canoed it and really enjoyed it. 

Picked up 0.10" of rain this morning. Really cool out again. 63° now at 11:20am.

Wow Cyclone, 51°! You must have had clear skies to work with.

Hoping to see some sun breaks back in here later.

wisgif32.jpg

Another A+ day here...getting spoiled by this weather pattern... if/when the humidity comes back, i'll be singing a different tune...amazing pattern..

Last night he house had warmed to 79F, but i woke up freezing..had to add more blankets...  kick butt sleeping weather...just put a fan n the window and you are good.  Can't do that when the dew point is 70F.

Flash flood watch up for one row of counties to my south and south of that for tomorrow and Friday. Figured ILN might put the entire CWA since several spots have had very heavy rain totals and it wouldn't take much for flooding. Could still change and would not shock me if it did.

Had a good storm in Hamilton, Ontario today (near Coptown/Rockton area). Very heavy rain, some nice positive CG's, and best of all, a nice rotating wall cloud. Another chaser was on this storm as well and noted some good rotation in the wall cloud, similar to what I was seeing. EC's King City radar had strong rotation and a hook as well. 

Here is a photo I took. 

9205038482_4913899c6f_b.jpg

And a capture of EC's radar,  BR and BV. 

rotating%20storm%20july%203rd.png

66 should be the high here today, I will look back to see when the last back to back July days with highs below 70F happened.

After checking, it was July 23-25, 2004 when amazingly we had three straight days with highs in the 60s/lows in the 50s, and with no precip recorded either.  Must've been an almost anomalous trough at that point combined with some wet soil feedback perhaps as that was a wet summer.

A year ago today, no doubt one of the hottest 4th of Julys ever. 100º+ high temperatures from several sites on 7/4/2012: 

Battle Creek: 102º

Chicago: 102º

Columbia: 104º

Columbus: 100º

Des Moines: 101º

Detroit: 102º

Evansville: 103º

Flint: 100º

Fort Wayne: 101º

Indianapolis: 102º

Kansas City: 102º

La Crosse: 103º

Lafayette: 100º

Lansing: 100º

Louisville: 102º

Madison: 102º

Milwaukee: 102º

Minneapolis: 101º

Paducah: 101º

Peoria: 100º

Rockford: 102º

St. Louis: 105º

South Bend: 100º

Toledo: 100º

Warming up quickly under full sun.  Up to 78.  Another cool night last night, but not as cool as yesterday morning.  Made it down to 57.  Could have a few isolated storms pop later around here, or just to the east. 

Hit 101 a year ago.  MLI must have had one of their underachieving days, as they only hit 96.

Looks like we may have a repeat of last week, with an active period of weather followed by another significant cool down.

From DVN this morning.

SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY...VERY ACTIVE PATTERN WITH ZONAL FLOW
IN PLACE AND FRONTAL BOUNDARY STALLED IN OR NEAR THE DVN CWA.
PRECIPITABLE WATERS WILL INCREASE TO OVER 2 INCHES WITH SURFACE
DEWPOINTS AT LEAST IN THE LOWER 70S. THIS WILL SET THE TABLE FOR
PERIODIC THUNDERSTORM COMPLEXES AND EXTREMELY HEAVY RAINFALL...WITH
FLASH FLOODING AND RIVER FLOODING BECOMING A CONCERN. SEVERE WEATHER
EARLY NEXT WEEK IS ALSO POSSIBLE. LATE NEXT WEEK...THE NORTHWEST
FLOW DEEPENS PUSHING THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY WELL TO OUR SOUTH AND
USHERING A COOLER AND DRIER AIRMASS INTO THE REGION.

Looks like we may have a repeat of last week, with an active period of weather followed by another significant cool down.

From DVN this morning.

SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY...VERY ACTIVE PATTERN WITH ZONAL FLOW

IN PLACE AND FRONTAL BOUNDARY STALLED IN OR NEAR THE DVN CWA.

PRECIPITABLE WATERS WILL INCREASE TO OVER 2 INCHES WITH SURFACE

DEWPOINTS AT LEAST IN THE LOWER 70S. THIS WILL SET THE TABLE FOR

PERIODIC THUNDERSTORM COMPLEXES AND EXTREMELY HEAVY RAINFALL...WITH

FLASH FLOODING AND RIVER FLOODING BECOMING A CONCERN. SEVERE WEATHER

EARLY NEXT WEEK IS ALSO POSSIBLE. LATE NEXT WEEK...THE NORTHWEST

FLOW DEEPENS PUSHING THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY WELL TO OUR SOUTH AND

USHERING A COOLER AND DRIER AIRMASS INTO THE REGION.

Was checking the GFS and GEM a few minutes ago. Both agree with some good severe weather chances early/mid next week. Hopefully we can get some of that severe wx into SW Ontario... :whistle:

Last year on this date (July 4th, 2012) was pretty active.

After the temperature in Detroit reached a record breaking 102*F (hottest temperature in nearly of a quarter century), supercell t'storms rapidly develop late in the afternoon, producing numerous large hail reports across the Detroit area.

Then if that wasn't enough, the same areas were hit by a severe QLCS in the early morning hours of the 5th, which produced numerous high wind reports across the Detroit area. The entire I-96/I-69 corridor in Michigan was in fact impacted by this round.

The strong storms continued across portions of the Detroit area through the midday hours on the 5th.

And what's really funny about all of this? The SPC only forecasted a 5% chance of severe weather at most prior to the first watch being issued, and yet it was one of the best multi-round severe weather outbreaks we've had in years locally. Not to mention there was a decent enough break between the 1st round of severe weather and the 2nd round of severe weather for people to still get their fireworks in.

By 7/5/12, over 325,000 customers had lost power at one point.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18954094/2012/07/05/power-out-for-nearly-200000-customers-in-metro-Detroit

day1otlk_v_20120704_1200.gif

mcd1389.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2012/md1389.html

mcd1395.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2012/md1395.html

mcd1398.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2012/md1398.html

mcd1399.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2012/md1399.html

mcd1401.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2012/md1401.html

ww0462_radar.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/2012/ww0462.html

ww0467_overview_wou.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/2012/ww0467.html

BTW, the above post is a perfect example of why this Spring/Summer thus far can kiss my fat ass.

We were due for a cooler summer, so I don't know why you are surprised or really all that pissed.  It's not like you didn't get your fill of 90 degree days in recent years.  I was expecting at most a slightly warmer than average summer, and more likely cooler than average.  At least around here, the last three summers were all above average, especially in June (except for 2011) and July.

Happy 4th of July fellow weather enthusiasts! 

Big difference here today with the sun out and mid 70s. I do appreciate the cooler summer, especially after last year. Getting a whole lot more done outside and enjoying the outdoors more this summer so far compared to last year.

Archived