• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Nantucket's longest thunderstorm

HalloweenGale

In Ludlum's The Nantucket Weather Book, he mentions the "Long Thunderstorm." It came the week after the LIE of '38. The I&M article mentions that it started a little after 1 PM on the 27th and lasted until after midnight. I know it is possible that thunderstorms can move very slowly, but I find it suspicious. It could possibly have been an MCS moving either north or south of the island. I've been through quite a few MCS's when I did my stint in Missouri. Some of them moved very slowly, others were very fast movers. It's a shame there were no satellites or radar, it would have been a fascinating thing to watch.

I don't believe it was a single thunderstorm, but it was as I have stated an MCS.

What do all of you think?

Probably was one of those deals with a stalled front and a moisture train moving up with elevated convection.

I wonder if it featured nonstop lightning, like eyewall's brief (7-10 flashes in 25 seconds) video on the NNE thread, or was one of those cloudy/muggy days with off-and-on heavy showers and 2-3 rumbles per minute.  I've experienced the latter when I lived in NNJ, but nothing like an extended time of the former.

Archived