• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2013 Pattern and Discussion

Marion_NC_WX

Has anyone seen the Euro weeklies? Looks like the GFS is hinting at a significant heat wave moving east days 10-16. I don't know if that verifies or not. Almost looks like the heat gets forced east - instead of building in the East.

Also, does anyone have any information on the potential ENSO status for DJF?

Brett Anderson posted the last update on them on June 7 and it looks like the SE will stay in a Normal to above average rainfall fron know through the first of July. The latest Euro run looks Normal to me. No real heat wave in sight the next ten days according to that model. Looks like most of the heat will stay in the Rockies through the Mid West. Seems like the GFS has been hinting at a heat wave in the long range from about April on but it never makes it. Kind of like our cold and snow storms this past winter. Long range looks good but never verifies. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PDO goes barely positive at 0.08,first time in exactly 3 years.

Also sunspots are way down for June after an active April-May.

Just some general observations.

Thats some good news. I have been reading the sunspot activity should be decreasing quite a bit in the next couple of years which may help with blocking in the winter.

The last few runs of Goofy suggest no clearcut threat of intense heat through the end of June fwiw. Whereas we still have a long way to go, this is at least gives me reason for optimism that we won't see any sig. heat by 6/30. If so, the much wetter than normal soils in Atlanta as well as nearby areas in the SE US would seemingly get some of the credit. KATL not exceeding 91 on two days when the highest 850 hit ~+20 C while skies were mostly sunny was good evidence of that. With much drier soils, those highs likely would have been 95+.

Since 1950, when the highest at KATL didn't exceed 91 by 6/30, the highest during 7/1+ never exceeded 96!

JB says : GFS finally catches what ECWMF has had for days, trough stopping surge of heat after a few days

JB didn't say anything about the GFS being right with Barry. He only points out things that the Euro gets correct. Euro had never shown any development at all. GFS was on it the entire time. I don't know why he acts like its the greatest model ever.

Just got home today from spending 2 weeks down on The Grand Strand...and with the exception of June 12th and 13th, it was almost cool at times down at the beach. Low to mid 80's at most, some days the humidity was up, some days it was down big time. It's usually miserable when I go on vacation, this time around it was excellent.

After last winter with those models very poor performance , I wouldn't put much stock into the temp outlook. They constantly showed cold and well below temps for weeks on end , only to never verify!

There are correlations for that.

CFSV2 Temperature Long Range Above Average Winter Months = 100% Accuracy

CFSV2 Temperature Long Range Below Average Winter Months = HA HA HA HA HA HA

Archived