• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Plains tornado threat Mon 5/27-Fri 5/31

Leave it to Bill Nye the "Science" guy to not-so-subtly hint that climate change was responsible for the El Reno tornado's width. Had the audacity to not only claim that climate change models hint at stronger tornadoes (uh?), but cites the fact that there were tornadoes in Brooklyn last year (gasp!) as evidence of change.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but ugh.... it was only a matter of time... 

Jack of all trades master of none.  I truly hate when they truck him out there on things like this, it is painfully obvious his knowledge is limited.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leave it to Bill Nye the "Science" guy to not-so-subtly hint that climate change was responsible for the El Reno tornado's width. Had the audacity to not only claim that climate change models hint at stronger tornadoes (uh?), but cites the fact that there were tornadoes in Brooklyn last year (gasp!) as evidence of change.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but ugh.... it was only a matter of time... 

He hinted at climate change after the Joplin, Tuscaloosa, and Moore events as well. Smart guy, but weather is not his forte.

Bill Nye the "Science" guy... great show if you're bored on Saturday morning. But having him speak about tornadoes, as in an "expert consultant" type thing??? Ummm... yeah. Forbes, Cantore, Masters, maybe even Roker (shut up!) I could see. But Bill Nye? That's scraping the barrel pretty deep, no offense to Mr. Nye. He's just like the LAST person I'd go to regarding meteorology.

Nick Nolte was ~3 miles away from the tornado and gives us a great wide angle view. In retrospect, it is hard to tell how incredibly massive this thing is, but once you realize what you're looking at, it makes you pause and drop your jaw.

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=AERONET_CART_SITE.2013133.aqua.250m - May 13 (latest good quality cloud-free image I could find previous to May 31)

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=AERONET_CART_SITE.2013153.terra.250m - June 2

Cropped those to get these, open in new tabs so you can ctrl-(shift)-tab back and forth:

http://i.imgur.com/jMTvYgA.png (May 13 cropped)

http://i.imgur.com/r9iYHUv.png (June 2 cropped and labeled)

jMTvYgA.png

r9iYHUv.png

It's been interesting to see how many chasers reaction shifted markedly once they found out it was the "world's largest EF5".  "Mourning" quickly changed to "OMG I'm so rad." 

It shows just how many idiots there are in the chaser community.

Seeing other vids very lucky how few died. I'm not going to lie... Have thought several times we were too cautious and could prob have gone to see it. Just weird to see how quick some folks went from being sad to showing themselves off again. Was hoping the humility would last more than a day or two. Granted if you got vid you shouldn't necessarily not show it to anyone just because of what happened, but still...

Seeing other vids very lucky how few died. I'm not going to lie... Have thought several times we were too cautious and could prob have gone to see it. Just weird to see how quick some folks went from being sad to showing themselves off again. Was hoping the humility would last more than a day or two. Granted if you got vid you shouldn't necessarily not show it to anyone just because of what happened, but still...

I ended up getting the hell out of the way. I thought I was being too conservative, but after dealing with traffic in OKC and new circulations on the southern end, I'm happy how I handled the event. The only glimpse I saw of the tornadoes was the power flashes. Which chasers are going gung ho about the situation now?

I ended up getting the hell out of the way. I thought I was being too conservative, but after dealing with traffic in OKC and new circulations on the southern end, I'm happy how I handled the event. The only glimpse I saw of the tornadoes was the power flashes. Which chasers are going gung ho about the situation now?

A lot of not so big names maybe mostly. Tho I saw Jeff P. blowing himself up yesterday. "It's my XXX 5, will have insane exclusive video soon etc." I'm willing to admit I am not really part of the community... perhaps I don't fully understand the need to keep count from year to year like it makes you a better chaser than most. To me, it's almost entirely based on how much time you spend out there etc.  Again, not really an issue with being there.. plenty of people I consider great chasers were on the storm--we were probably overly cautious.

That was a huge tornado. How do you even begin to put into words how extroadinary that storm was compared to most? Who would have ever thought we could be talking about a 2.6 mile wide tornado with EF5 winds and forward suction vort motions of 185mph? Unreal.

Still hate to think we lost one of the best chasing teams out there to such a monster.

Posted some shots as well as our video from the El Reno tornado on my blog, http://chip-redmond.blogspot.com While chasing I knew this was an impressive tornado, especially with the insane multi-vortex stage and occlusion to the north. There were alot of chasers on the storm but the worst were just interested locals that didn't have a clue what to do. The blocking of roads was insane and caused the worst cluster of people ever. We about got run over by the second circulation and was only a few hundred feet from a mobile home that got destroyed. We had nowhere to go! That was my last time chasing in OK. I want control of my own destiny and with so many other third elements besides the storm and you, it is way to dangerous in OK. I will stick to the northern Plains!

Not sure if there is a better thread for this, but could you use a technique similiar to the one described here: http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/vidmag/ in order to better detect cloud/storm motion in the visual band? I wonder if it could be applied to some of the earlier videos in the thread that use a stationary camera with a wide view of the mesocyclone.

Not sure if there is a better thread for this, but could you use a technique similiar to the one described here: http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/vidmag/ in order to better detect cloud/storm motion in the visual band? I wonder if it could be applied to some of the earlier videos in the thread that use a stationary camera with a wide view of the mesocyclone.

There were some photogrammetry studies done back in the 70s, not sure why they were discontinued.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived