Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moore, OK Tornado 5/20/2013

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I know they have more recovery and possibly bodies to retrieve..but if that number is the case...wow. Warnings and the preparation that city has, may have paid off. It's obviously early, but that is certainly good news.

The ME just gave a phone interview on CNN. apparently it is at 24 as of now, 9 being from the elematary school. She said she is expecting more from the school, and from the community, but she didn't give number.

Man I know they have more recovery and possibly bodies to retrieve..but if that number is the case...wow. Warnings and the preparation that city has, may have paid off. It's obviously early, but that is certainly good news.

Agreed. Still devastating that some of fatalities are children, but that number could (and still may end up) be much much higher.

Here's Adams video of the tornado...

My perspective having been on the storm...

Easily the most intense tornado I have seen. The motion near the base/at the surface was incredible...Along with the horizontal rolling at the top of the tor/base of the wall cloud. Quite a humbling experience being able to view it and knowing where it was moving through.

We had a visual of it for 5-10min, as it moved from NW of Newcastle and into Moore.

I won't lie, I may have cried a little watching it.

Pollen levels must have spiked while I watched that...

*sniffles... wipes away watering eyes*

Heartbreaking and heartwarming, at the same time.  Thanks for posting that vid.

If you're hesitant on donating to the Red Cross or you want another charity to donate to. Please give to Convoy of Hope.  They did an amazing job here in Joplin. To donate to Convoy of Hope's efforts for the Moore, OK tornado response, text "convoy" to 50555. $10 will be charged to your cell phone bill and donated to Convoy of Hope.

If you're hesitant on donating to the Red Cross or you want another charity to donate to. Please give to Convoy of Hope.  They did an amazing job here in Joplin. To donate to Convoy of Hope's efforts for the Moore, OK tornado response, text "convoy" to 50555. $10 will be charged to your cell phone bill and donated to Convoy of Hope.

Excellent suggestion.  Another great resource is Charity Navigator, and they already have a page up for the Moore tornado:  http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1567

Excellent suggestion.  Another great resource is Charity Navigator, and they already have a page up for the Moore tornado:  http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1567

Nice. I'd donate to the organizations as they have an idea what is neeeded and they have deals with companies that allow them to buy products at a deeply discounted price. I know Convoy of Hope can turn $1 into $7, so a $10 donation is actually worth $70 to them. We were inundated with clothing donations in Joplin. The clothes were taking up valuable warehouse space. The best things to donate (if you don't donate to an organization) right now are Hygiene Products (Combs, Tooth Paste & Tooth Brush, Deodorant, Feminine Products, Soap, Shampoo), First Aid, Baby Items (Diapers), Batteries, Flash Lights, Gallon Ziploc Bags.

I disagree with the potential of our collective capability.

I'd imagine the NWS/SPC would disagree with you as there's probably nobody more hurt/disappointed when there's wide-scale loss of life/destruction from a tornadic storm - and I do imagine they feel some responsibility. 

I don't think these guys will come into work tomorrow and say 'we did the best we could yesterday.'

While their research/risk-outlines/watches/warnings provided directionally the right forecast, not even the best mets on this board could have told you at 8 AM this morning that there would DEFINITELY BE A LOSS OF LIFE AND PROPERTY - WITHOUT QUESTION.

I cannot live with saying it's 'impossible' to predict, and I don't think the folks at the NWS/SPC can either.

That's not to say they are at fault, but I certainly do not think they share your opinion that it's 'impossible' to predict.

That's why they come into work every day - make a forecast, analyze the results, and then apply learning to improve future forecasts until you can deliver a 99.9999% accurate forecast - all in the spirit of protecting public life and property.

I firmly believe a cell merger into the parent supercell near Newcastle was the trigger that took this from bad to catastrophic. Check out the animated GIF of radar here: http://i.minus.com/iluhrlDRbUSAQ.gif (I can't attach because my work blocks this website).

Greensburg, Joplin, Henryville/Pekin tornadoes (among many others) featured at least one cell merger prior to dropping tornadoes that quickly went violent like we saw in Moore. I posted this last night on Twitter and David Kenney at MSU mentioned that disrupting the meso can cause it to consolidate/focus helicity at the surface. This make a lot of sense to me and would explain why things got violent quickly.

Edit: I'd recommend looking at Bluestein's paper of the evolution of the Greensburg cell. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2009WAF2222206.1

Good post, Bryan, and thanks for adding value to the discussion about RI.

JoMo, was there a cell merge of note prior to the storm touching down in Joplin?

Good post, Bryan, and thanks for adding value to the discussion about RI. JoMo, was there a cell merge of note prior to the storm touching down in Joplin?

yep, there was a cell merge and an outflow boundary in the area. 

You can see the cell in NE OK merge with the much larger cell. 

Archived